10 years ago
60 posts

No problem, Val - and no confusion!

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
10 years ago
33 posts

Sorry John, I mentioned NC in a different thread, where I should have said Marion, Virginia. Hope I did not cause any confusion.

John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
10 years ago
60 posts

I've already posted discussion threads about this on the Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina Groups, but not everyone here has joined their local FOTMD group, so I thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread about this here. It's only directly relevant to those within striking distance of Marion, Virginia!

FOTMD member Amanda Boyd and myself, both from the UK, will be in Marion VA between September 23 and October 7 as artists in residence at the Lincoln Theatre. At 7pm on Saturday September 27 we will be presenting our show "Those Were The Days, My Friends!" there.The third member of the team, also from the UK, is Trevor Bailey, presenter and curator of old professional and amateur films, both sound and silent. The show mixes archive film footage, mainly about rural life in the early to mid twentieth century in the South-West of England, with traditional English folk songs and tunes from the same region. (This region includes the county of Somerset, where Cecil Sharp began his life's work as a collector of folk songs.) Amanda is the main singer in the show; I accompany her on MD and do some singing. If you're interested you can get some idea of what we sound like from our respective FOTMD pages.

On Saturday October 4 we will take part in an edition of the "Song of the Mountains" television show, filmed at the theatre. The theatre's director will be arranging some other performances for us during our stay. In some of these we hope to explore the links between our traditional songs and music in the South-West of England and those from this part of the Appalachians.

It would be great to meet up with some other FOTMD members while we are over with you. We'd be particularly keen to hear from anyone who might be interested in putting on a house concert. I'm sure we could fit one of those in!

updated by @john-shaw: 06/11/15 07:41:49AM