Before and After

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,415 posts
That is a neat picture, Bob-- your fat- waisted dulcimers are beauties!I am glad I was required to take wood shop & industrial arts, art, and cooking & sewing in Junior High School.
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
10 years ago
1,073 posts

With all the cut backs in school funding our children are no longer exposed to classes that teach woodworking, sewing, cooking, etc. I am thankful that my 33 year old son had those classes. Today he is an excellent cook, is able to do simple home repairs including installing all the cabinets in his pantry and can replace a button on his shirt. He is a professional musician. We worked side-by-side to build his 16/15 hammered dulcimer.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
10 years ago
252 posts

I agree Pamela. I grew up in a time before computers when every girl and boy was expected to have a hobby and work with your hands. I would be less than half the person today without those hand skills I learned in childhood. I fear its a lesson lost today on our children... Bob.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
10 years ago
252 posts

Every year I make my annual trek to the saw mill to get a load of poplar. 90% gets cut up for making grave blankets. I select the nicer boards for dulcimers and bluebird boxes. Building dulcimers is no big deal once you get the knack. But its still amazing to me that a pile of rough lumber can be turned into a musical instrument. In our world today we place value on so much that is fake. Working with wood and playing wooden instruments helps keep it real... Bob.

updated by @robert-schuler: 07/31/23 11:45:57PM