James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
9 years ago
87 posts

As this was the first '"challenge" tune posted, but like how I re-did Shenandoah a bit ago, I re-did my clip of Amazing Grace. Hopefully the quality is much improved since the posting I did of this. http://youtu.be/zP0PL2tmTHA

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,729 posts

James: I have not objection if people want to post their Amazing Grace videos in the main video area, but I strongly suggest that we also post them as responses to that discussion asking for different versions of the song. I think there are three reasons to do so. First, although it might be easy to find the videos on January 4, when they are all lined up, after a few days when another few dozen videos have been posted it will be less obvious who participated in your fun and interesting challenge and we'll have to do a search in the video area and then look at the date posted to find out who was involved. If we all post our versions in that discussion, then we will always know where they are and they will be much easier to find since they'll be grouped together. Second, if they are all in one discussion, we can have a more coherent discussion about them, pointing out similarities and differences and so forth. If we don't have one central location for that discussion, then all we have is a separate discussion for each video. Third, not everyone checks into FOTMD nearly every day as I do (yes, I admit it, I'm a dulcimer geek). If someone reads about your idea on January 8 but would still want to participate, she or he could do so simply by posting to that ongoing discussion.

Pamela: Flint Hill already created a tutorial on how to post videos as part of the introductory material to the Call the Tune group. You can find it here . If you want to post your video in the general video area, then all you have to do is copy the URL and post it in that discussion. But the tutorial explains how to embed videos as well.

And let me also reiterate James's point about amateur videos. None of us play with as much technical precision as Mark Gilston or Stephen Seifert or with as much emotion as Nina Zanetti or Linda Brockinton. But that does not mean that we have nothing to say musically. This website is specifically intended as a place where amateurs can share their passion for our beloved instrument. I am often moved more by playing that is not perfect from a technical standpoint but is played with genuine interest and passion. In addition, I urge everyone to record themselves playing on a regular basis, even if you choose not to share those videos with everyone else. As you continue to play, you will get better, but that progress sometimes happens slowly, and unless there is some record of what you sounded like last week or last month or last year, you won't be aware of how much you are progressing. And I don't know about you all, but I find playing music so frustrating that I need to be reminded of my own progress as a way to stay optimistic about my playing.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Noah Aikens
Noah Aikens
@noah-aikens
9 years ago
33 posts

i am in

James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
9 years ago
87 posts

I need to admit that I was sort of bad and never saw that reply. I did not know that group existed at all, which makes me wonder if others may not know if it existed. I just figure putting it in the main videos section would give everyone a chance to see it, without looking through the videos.

Marg - just remember = This is not MGM or a movie studio. Do the best with what you have on hand. I know mine are not the best, because I have a laptop with a built in camera and mic I use, plus I play my FolkRoots on my desk when recording. I think as long as the *feeling* is there, that is what matters first and foremost. I'd rather see a video where it isn't the best quality technical wise, but the playing was spot on. Having both is ideal, but if it was one or the other, you now know my feelings.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,729 posts

I also think that would be a cool idea, James. But I note, as Robin did, that we have a group specifically designed for people to share their interpretations of common tunes. I would suggest that we post our versions of Amazing Grace onto the discussion Travis started years ago specifically on that tune, and to which many people have already posted their versions of the hymn. It will be nice to have one place to enjoy everyone's interpretation and to share ideas and encouragement. Here is a link to that existing discussion: http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/group/callthetune/forum/topics/ama... .

In the introductory discussion of the Call the Tune group, there is a link to a tutorial on how to post videos to FOTMD, so those who haven't yet figured out how can join the fun!

I'm going to start practicing tomorrow!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
marg
@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

I can only do a copy with my phone so sound isn't very good but this is a really nice idea. If I can do it, I will

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
10 years ago
1,090 posts

I think this is a great idea. I'm not sure I'll learn how to make a video by then though.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Lynn austin
Lynn austin
@lynn-austin
10 years ago
19 posts
That is a great idea james!....I don't know how to post videos myself but it will be really nice and helpful to all hearing different arrangements of a tune.....
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,429 posts
http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/group/callthetune Is this what you had in mind, James?
James Phillips
James Phillips
@james-phillips
10 years ago
87 posts

I had an idea, and mused about it in chat earlier, and thought that I would post it here and see what kind of response it would get.

I have always thought it was interesting hearing other folks' interpretations of songs, because while the song might be the same, people do there own take on it, making it there own.

So my thought is this: What about the first Sunday of January, the 4th, we all do versions of Amazing Grace, and post them up to share? Do it in your style, your way, your tuning preference. Be it noter/drone, fingerstyle, chord melody, fingerdancing....the more styles the better.

If anyone is interested in this, feel free to respond to this thread.

updated by @james-phillips: 06/11/15 07:42:18AM