Aussie Players

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

So, anything happening on the Aussie front? Anyone going to the next folk festival in Canberra? A friend of mine tells me you have to get in really early ...but $230.00 for an 'early bird' ticket seems a bit steep...

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Thanks heaps!!!!!

Strumelia said:

Hi all,

You know, I hadn't been aware of this thread until just now, and I did not realize that we have over 50 members on FOTMD from Australia- but I saw that after reading this thread just now and doing an 'advanced' search by country as Mark suggested above. I now see that there are many more Aussie members than I thought, and that you are indeed having a hard time connecting effectively.

Anne did ask me yesterday about having a new Aussie group, and I decided against it, since I am very reluctant to add more new Groups over time.

But you know what? I now think that wasn't the best decision and I can see a real need for this here. I'm changing my mind.

Let me go ahead now and create the new Australia Group for you all, and you can all join up there and dive in. Smile.gif

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

You are a sweet lady Lisa, I am happy our Australian Friends have a group of their own. I hope that they will have a great time connecting.

Strumelia said:

Hi all,

You know, I hadn't been aware of this thread until just now, and I did not realize that we have over 50 members on FOTMD from Australia- but I saw that after reading this thread just now and doing an 'advanced' search by country as Mark suggested above. I now see that there are many more Aussie members than I thought, and that you are indeed having a hard time connecting effectively.

Anne did ask me yesterday about having a new Aussie group, and I decided against it, since I am very reluctant to add more new Groups over time.

But you know what? I now think that wasn't the best decision and I can see a real need for this here. I'm changing my mind.

Let me go ahead now and create the new Australia Group for you all, and you can all join up there and dive in. Smile.gif

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

Hi all,

Let me go ahead now and create the new Australia Group for you all, and you can all join up there and dive in.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

I asked Strumella about an Aussie interest group, but, as there are over 60 other interest groups already, she suggested we just keep it at the forum/discussion level for now. I guess if enough people post often enough we may be able to think abut a group...

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Hi Julian,

There seem to be a few of us don't there. Thanks for the email address, but I do think it would be good if we could have an Aussie players group on FOTMD so we could chat in the same time zone .... Do you know of Richard Troughear's dulcimers? I'll be seeing him on Friday, as he's visiting someone here in the Blue Mountains, and he'll have some instruments with him ... Looking forward to seeing him..

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Mark Brothers said:

To get all the Australian members you have to use the advanced search and select Australia from the drop down list under the heading country. As you observed doing it any other way gives quite variable results.

A group is the way to go if possible.
Well, that way of doing the search worked, so thanks Mark....only still no Richard. I think a group would be nice too.
Mark Brothers
Mark Brothers
@mark-brothers
9 years ago
4 posts
To get all the Australian members you have to use the advanced search and select Australia from the drop down list under the heading country. As you observed doing it any other way gives quite variable results.A group is the way to go if possible.
Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Ken Hulme said:

Mark - as Lexie pointed out in her response above, go to the Members section on the blue line at the top of the page. Then enter Australia in the Search box.

I know of at least one other Aussie here -- Richard Troughear, who mostly posts on Everything Dulcimers, and who has become moderately famous for his scientific experimental approach to dulcimer building.

There was also a man a couple years back, whom we helped talk through his first dulcimer build. If memory serves he is/was from Tasmania.

And don't forget Helen Seiler from Creswick, Victoria who posts here very frequently.

Hi Ken,

Helen welcomed me when I first joined, but it's interesting that her name doesn't appear when I type Australia in the members' Search box , or even a Victoria entry in the members' Advanced Search box. I also typed in Richard Troughear and got " Sorry, no members matching your search were found" ..

If I type in Australia, only 6 names appear, typing in Queensland gives me 8,Victoria gives me 12, NSW gives me 9 - hence my initial question. I do think an Aussie Group would be nice ...Smile.gif

Mark Brothers
Mark Brothers
@mark-brothers
9 years ago
4 posts
Thanks Ken. I understand that and have done that myself in the past, but my question was more about setting up a group - like the group for UK and European Mountain Dulcimer Players.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

Mark - as Lexie pointed out in her response above, go to the Members section on the blue line at the top of the page. Then enter Australia in the Search box.

I know of at least one other Aussie here -- Richard Troughear, who mostly posts on Everything Dulcimers, and who has become moderately famous for his scientific experimental approach to dulcimer building.

There was also a man a couple years back, whom we helped talk through his first dulcimer build. If memory serves he is/was from Tasmania.

And don't forget Helen Seiler from Creswick, Victoria who posts here very frequently.

Mark Brothers
Mark Brothers
@mark-brothers
9 years ago
4 posts
Hmmm. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do that. Anyone know how ?
Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Well, I was wondering about that, which is why I started this discussion.

Mark Brothers
Mark Brothers
@mark-brothers
9 years ago
4 posts
I'm from Newcastle. I've seen a few Australians posting here.Maybe we should set up an Australian interest group ?
Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Have you had a look at dulcimerschool.com, with Stephen Seifert? I enrolled, and it has quite a lot of good stuff. I'm also looking at dulcimercrossing.com, although I haven't enrolled in that one...

Anne

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Hey Peter,

Thanks for replying. Where are you?

Anne

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Hi Anne, I know how it feels to be far away from the dulci groups, that's why we have this fabulous site, so we can connect and learn together.Grin.gif

Anne Bowman said:

Hay LLexie,

Well, there are quite a few other Aussies, but we're quite a distance from one another ...

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Hay LLexie,

Well, there are quite a few other Aussies, but we're quite a distance from one another ...

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

If you want to connect with folks from Australia, go to member page and in the search box type in "Australia" and this should show you members from that country.

Have fun struming those sweet sounds and hope you can connect to some great folks.Grin.gif

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Hi all,

I was just wondering how many other Aussies there are in FOTMD ....

Cheers,

Anne

updated by @anne-bowman: 03/02/19 08:59:14AM