7 years ago
259 posts

Good to know. Thanks Ken 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,111 posts

I buy their bulk Guitar (for ball end) or Loop End strings -- 12 in a sleeve IIRC, of a specified gauge and end type (ball or loop)  -- plenty  long

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
7 years ago
259 posts

Ken Hulme:

Like Dusty I buy both locally and from JustStrings. Never had a problem with them in all the years I've ordered from them. Often they send little extras, like string cleaning cloths or flat picks. I usually get a dozen of each of my most common gauges (18, 14, 12).

Banjo, rather than Mandolin, strings are the most common "crossover instrument" strings. I believe Jean Ritchie talked about using banjo 2nd and 3rd on dulcimer.

Ken H, I'm about to buy bulk strings from JustStrings, and found you answered my question 2 yr's ago! I wasn't sure which instrument string length would be a crossover for the dulcimer, but Banjo it is. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,111 posts

Like Dusty I buy both locally and from JustStrings. Never had a problem with them in all the years I've ordered from them. Often they send little extras, like string cleaning cloths or flat picks. I usually get a dozen of each of my most common gauges (18, 14, 12).

Banjo, rather than Mandolin, strings are the most common "crossover instrument" strings. I believe Jean Ritchie talked about using banjo 2nd and 3rd on dulcimer.

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have an order coming from Just strings. the local store doesn't carry every gauge or length I'd need. i.e. they have mandolin strings but they are too short.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

For the record, I've never had the "mess" Steve did with the ball of strings fromJust Strings. I just remove one at a time and the ball stays intact. It is quite compact, in fact, much more so than the individual strings in a packet. I keep it all in the ziploc bag they come in.

In general, steel is steel and strings are strings. The quality will not vary from one retailer to another, but there are variables for wound strings that might be a matter of personal preference. I prefer the tone of bronze wound strings to nickel strings, for example, but I would not say that they are better, merely that I prefer the tone.

I do indeed buy bulk wound strings and have done so from both Just Strings and Folkcraft. However, I try to buy as much as I can from my local music stores. You never know, but you might find yourself in a bind, with a workshop or gig the next day, and you need a string or two. If there are no brick-and-mortar stores around, you will be up that proverbial creek without a paddle. Strings are cheap, so even though it costs a little more, I buy as much as possible from my local music stores. Plus, you might just meet someone interested in the dulcimer.Smile.gif

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,073 posts

Monica, sorry. I forgot that Gary's website was hacked and down at the present time. I have never had any problem with Just Strings. Good prices and good service.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
9 years ago
32 posts

The biggest difference is that JustStrings will send you a ball of strings. I did that once and saved money, but had a big mess! McSpadden's will be individually packed. I don't know about Folkcraft, but you could ask.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
9 years ago
385 posts

You can also check out bulk strings at www.cbgitty.com

I think all of them are the "ball-end" type with the brass rings, not the plain loops, but I use them here.

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Can't access their website
But you are satisfied with just strings?

Ken Longfield said:

Not to confuse things even more, have you checked the price at Prussia Valley. Contact Gary Sager and see what he sells strings for. I buy bulk strings from Just Strings.

Ken

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,073 posts

Not to confuse things even more, have you checked the price at Prussia Valley. Contact Gary Sager and see what he sells strings for. I buy bulk strings from Just Strings.

Ken

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

For a pack of 12 bulk strings,plain steel loop ends ,010 , the prices are as follows :

Mcspadden $12.50

Folkcraft $6.49

JustStrings $3.62

Wondering about the difference in quality?

updated by @monica: 02/26/19 01:31:20AM