Healthy Living- healthy eating, exercise, weight loss, veggie gardening, etc.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 months ago
2,111 posts

We're just getting things started growing again here, with the Fall/Winter rains coming fairly regularly now.  Summers are brutally hot but quite lacking in rain and everything dries up.  Luckily we didn't get too much moister from Hurricane Idalia here a couple weeks back...  Feast or famine.

Hurricane Lee missed us but according to the National Hurricane Center it will be coming ashore, hopefully as "just" a Tropical Storm,  somewhere between Boston and Halifax on Saturday.  Folks there are gonna get some seriously windy and wet weather.  

updated by @ken-hulme: 09/13/23 07:33:40AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 months ago
2,248 posts

It's that time of year when the flowers and veggies are all getting overgrown and ragged looking. Time to start pulling things out, pruning, tidying up a little area here and there as the plants become exhausted by it all. I've learned the hard way to not procrastinate too much on end-of-year garden cleanup. 

Happily we're still getting some real nice tomatoes. Not lots of them, but just enough to enjoy the bacon/tomato/mayo sandwiches we love to make this time of year.  drool

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 09/13/23 09:32:59AM
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 months ago
385 posts

I'm a cobbler gobbler!  When I can find one, that is...  Best is blueberry or peach, but I'll settle for whatever you've got!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 months ago
1,720 posts

droool

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 months ago
2,248 posts

Our backyard blueberries are winding down, while the tomatoes are now gearing up. Yet another cobbler!

cobbler august2023.jpg

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 months ago
2,248 posts

Another thunderstorm coming, so I picked a load of green beans before everything got drenched...

IMG_0941.JPG

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/27/23 02:03:47PM
NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
9 months ago
238 posts

Wow Ken, I'm envious! Sounds like you've put them to about every use under the sun. My grandfather had a few mango trees on his farm and they always seemed to grow more than the whole family plus the neighbors could use!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 months ago
2,111 posts

Our mango tree started dropping ripe fruit the first week of April, and is finally winding down.  We'll probably get fruit for another couple weeks.  I have been harvesting 10-20 per day.  I've made Mango Salsa, Mango Jam, Mango Lassi, Mango smoothies with backyard bananas, Mango bread, Mango Frozen Yogurt, Mango Shrimp dinner,  Mango-topped oatmeal for Sally every day, chilled mango by the bowl, and dribbling over the sink.  No to mention I've frozen 20 quarts of mango filets for once a month mango treats until next season, and given away at least a hundred to friends who love mango but don't have a tree,

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 months ago
2,248 posts

Our blueberries are due to start getting ripe soon... ooooh boy!

Right now I am picking lots of fresh snow peas... love them!

--
Site Owner

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
10 months ago
252 posts

Strawberry season started early this year. We were picking from late April until a week ago. Cool dry weather made some of the best berries ever. Next year's plants arrive in three weeks.

Asparagus picking ended two weeks ago, now I'm letting the ferns grow for next year. Hope to be picking tomatoes from the greenhouse  by late June. 

I hope everybody has a great garden. Life is good...Robert 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 months ago
1,720 posts

It's so nice when the garden starts producing, isn't it?  We have three different tomato plants all fruiting right now.  The cherry tomatoes (sweet 100s) look like they'll be ripening first.

We had some friends over for lunch, and to accompany the grilled salmon, I made one of our summer staple salads: black rice with green onions, strawberries, and walnuts, tossed lightly with a lemon vinaigrette made with fresh-squeezed Meyer's lemons from our backyard tree.

black rice salad.jpg

The rice provides the substance, the strawberries some sweetness, the onions and lemon some zest, and the walnuts some crunch.  It's an interesting combination that is super easy to make.  No recipe required.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 months ago
2,248 posts

Have been getting nice fresh leaf lettuce from our veggie garden for the past 3 weeks, and giving some to my good friends.

Today I cut the first big leaves of Swiss chard and stir fried it to eat with leftover stuffed shells. It was yummy!  I'm glad i planted some scallions this year, since they will come in handy for stir frying as well. I'm on a stir fry kick this year!  pimento

My tomato plants are about 10" high and are making flowers already.  

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

@fharlm , the ones in your link are all pretty big. I had a personal sized indoor rebounder for a year or so. I liked it at first, but eventually found it made me a little dizzy. I occasionally have bouts of vertigo, so that's not the greatest fit. If not for that it might have been fine. I do suggest you get one that is made specifically for one-person fitness use and not for multi-kids fun use. And pay attention to the weight limit suggestions.
I switched over to having a rowing machine in my living room, which seems to suit me way better. 😃

--
Site Owner

Fharlm
Fharlm
@fharlm
2 years ago
5 posts

Thanks, @Strumelia. I am considering adding a mini-tramp to my home workout equipment. Specifically, I am looking at the "Urban Rebounder". Jumping is supposed to be good for you, and has less impact than jogging (which I hate). I feel like it would keep me in shape for my tap dancing and other activities. I also ride bike daily, and do some light strength training. Anyway I was wondering if you uses one of these ?, and if so, what kind of results do you get, and any other thoughts you may have.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

Mangos and watermelon... doesn't get much better than that Ken.

When i lived in Puerto Rico the neighbors had a huuuuge mango tree, and they never bothered eating any. (!) So my two little daughters and i would fill big bags and feast on them for weeks at a time. Good memories.

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,111 posts

We've been awash with Mangos from our tree since mid May and the flood is finally trickling away.  I have 30 quarts frozen for mango goodies all winter.   

I've made several new versions of Gaspacho so far this year -- two based on mango and one based on watermelon.  Such a great treat in our warm summer.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

We got the blueberry net up just in time a few days ago. Yesterday I picked the first ripe berries, got about 1 1/2 pints. We usually get blueberries for 1 month, and when they peter out the ripe tomato picking starts.
I planted only 13 tomato plants this year. Trying two plants of a new cherry tomato called Black Strawberry that has clusters of large dark cherry tomatoes with purple-y stripes. Also two "Lemon Boy" yellow tomatoes. This year I planted some patty pan squash... so cute!

--
Site Owner

Charlie in Ky
Charlie in Ky
@charlie-in-ky
2 years ago
20 posts

Well, you are right about dedication. I had a lot of motivation though. I felt bad when I started and even after losing 15 lb or so I started feeling better. 

I think I look older now but friends, family, and coworkers say I look younger lol.

I guess everyone is their own worst critic as they say.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

Charlie that is so impressive- in less than a year and a half you lost about 100 lbs!  Sounds like you did it the healthy way too. I'm so glad for you. clapper    It takes real dedication to do that. You have completely turned your life around through you own efforts.

--
Site Owner

Charlie in Ky
Charlie in Ky
@charlie-in-ky
2 years ago
20 posts

Great seeing folks sharing their health related efforts and successes !

17 months ago I weighed 267 lbs. My BMI was 40 (obese). My a1c was 6.6 (pre-diabetes) and inching up every three months.  My doctor wanted to talk about insulin. So I told him to give me 3 months. Next visit it started going down.

What I did was got online and did my research and educated myself about the glycemic index of foods as well as the glycemic load. I bought a blood glucose meter and started checking my blood sugar before and after eating individual foods. Any that spiked my blood glucose over 125 or so, I eliminated them from my diet.

I started walking and doing light strength training as well.

This past March my a1c was 5.2. Doc laughed and said it was lower than his. He is 44 and runs mini marathons. I'm 64 with a history of smoking.

I finally reached my ultimate goal today. 165.75 lbs which puts my BMI at 24.8. I've gone from obese to the healthy weight range, albeit the higher end of the chart.

Anyhow, when I started I wore a size 46 or 48 waist pants and 3X shirts.

Today I'm sitting here in a size 30 waist jeans, size small briefs, and a medium size tee shirt.

In March doc told me I didn't have to worry about losing more weight but I pointed to my gut and said "what about this visceral fat that's left ?"

He told me that I need to up my strength training and work all my muscle groups especially my legs because short of that any additional weight loss was going to be muscle mass.

So I bought a nice bike, a Specialized Roll 2.0, and the visceral fat is melting away. I also increases my strength training a bit. Supposedly that raises your metabolism.

I feel pretty good. When I started I felt miserable, and had four comorbidities. Hypertension and taking four meds for that, obesity, pre-diabetic, and COPD.

I can't beat the COPD but I can avoid doing things to make it progress further like smoking. It's not bad enough for me to have to reach for my rescue inhaler. It's a rare occasion I ever do especially since I've lost weight and quit smoking. The other three comorbidities I have beat. I'm down to just one hypertension med and in March doc told me I could stop taking metformin.

So yes, in my case all I needed to do was educate myself as to what I could do to lose fat and simply be diligent about it. I eat all I want but I eat foods that don't create fat. No bread, no milk, no red meat, nothing with fructose, etc. Whole foods make up around 85% of my diet. Plenty of water and replaced soft drinks with Kool-Aid sweetened with erythritol in place of sugar. I also avoid foods that promote inflammation. Good video here ...

And according to my doc I did it in a safe manner. Iirc in March he said I lost an average of 1.6 lbs a week or so since I started.

I focus on glycemic load and net carbs instead of calories. I don't do the keto thing though.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

@ken-hulme Dang heel spur! 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,111 posts

I walked 2 miles yesterday in a local park, with "some discomfort",  as I'm experiencing a heel spur.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

It was a nice day here and would've been perfect for hiking.  I hear you on the joints end of things, @slate-creek-dulcimers.  :) 

Mill Branch Dulcimores
Mill Branch Dulcimores
@mill-branch-dulcimores
3 years ago
22 posts

Flat tire on the bike today so I hiked 7 miles. Perfect temperature for hiking. My joints can definitely tell it this evening. 

Mill Branch Dulcimores
Mill Branch Dulcimores
@mill-branch-dulcimores
3 years ago
22 posts

Thanks Robin and Lisa!

Yeah Lisa it's a fatbike. More suited for off-road but I didn't have time to go to the mountain today.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

Bobby is that on a bicycle? Good for you. Looks pretty there.  yes

Corvus- lol, whatever floats your boat. rat

--
Site Owner

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

@slate-creek-dulcimers Nothing like getting outdoors to help heal mind & spirit.  We're going to head to the nearby lake in just a bit for a time of refreshing.  Take care, Bobby.

Mill Branch Dulcimores
Mill Branch Dulcimores
@mill-branch-dulcimores
3 years ago
22 posts

5 miles of mind therapy this morning, (or breakup therapy to be more precise). And of course exercise.

2.5 miles uphill grade and a coast back home.

Corvus
Corvus
@corvus
3 years ago
18 posts

This is as healthy as I get. Made it to 70 and still going.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,111 posts

LOVE Green Salsa and Enchilada Sauces.  Nice to grow your own! 

We've finished Mango season on our tree. 

Have been "foraging" at a large local park/arboreteum this spring and summer when I go with a friend to do t'ai-chi, also around the neighborhood.  Malay Apples and Rose Apples from the park, also now the Chocolate Sapote trees are coming into fruit, and I picked enough wild coffee that is drying that I'll be able to grind a few cups worth after roasting.  Plenty of Starfruit around the neighborhood, plus wild lemon and grapefruit.  .  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

That's a lot of tomatillos!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

John i had never even tasted tomatillos until about 4 yrs ago. At first i thought Hmmm....odd.  Then got seriously hooked.  LOL  Now i grow both tomatoes and tomatillos as my 'most important' Summer veggies.

--
Site Owner

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
385 posts

Yum-O!  Tomatillo sauce is the spice of life, as they say!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

I've been picking a ton of tomatillos in our garden lately.  This week I canned 24 pints of green tomatillo sauce, adding onions, garlic, cilantro, and red peppers.  There were several other bowls of them than fit in this photo. Now we'll have enough green sauce to last til April or May.  tongueout

IMG_0203s.jpg

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

Fig preserves? sounds wonderful!!  No fig trees here... too cold!  frozen

--
Site Owner

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
3 years ago
297 posts

Lisa, congratulations on your weight loss. IMO, a little bit along is better for your health than a sudden gigantic loss.

It’s blueberry time at your place, and figs at my place.  In another 2 weeks my daughter will make enough fig preserves to last our whole big family another year.  

Also, hello there.  👋

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

Yay, I picked the first pint of the year of our own blueberries yesterday. They didn't give much last year (I had pruned them severely the year before that) but this year looks like a good crop again. They give berries for about three to four weeks. It's a wonderful thing to look forward to. I just had a bowl of yogurt with our blueberries and a cut up nectarine and a tablespoon of chia seed for good measure.  :)

I've been following a new diet over the past 7 weeks so far, to try and lose weight. (I need to lose 30 pounds total)
Portion control and 'will power' are not things that work for me. I've been doing something I've never tried before- actually counting calories. An app on my iphone makes it pretty easy to do... far easier than laboriously logging in old notebooks and looking everything up in books or charts.

so... in seven weeks I've now lost seven pounds. I'm sort of surprised it's working as well as it has been, and the best part is I don't feel terribly hungry, because I now know things I can eat that have fewer calories but i really like- to snack on when i'm antsy for something. I do have days when I don't bother counting at all, like when we have guests over or some fancy meal that's hard to figure out. It's educating me a whole lot about what foods and choices have high or low calories. That means that eventually i should have a much better sense of how to eat so I don't gain back weight in the future, even without using the app.

It does take some effort and dedication, but it's showing me I don't have to actually 'suffer' to lose weight. That's encouraging!  catdance

--
Site Owner

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
3 years ago
188 posts

Flowers are some of life’s greatest nourishment.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

Garden...
I planted my tomato plants and tomatillo plants today. My green sauce seems to be a big hit with my husband, so I will try to make a lot this year and can it again. My final batch from late last summer lasted us all the way until the following April! Green tomatillo sauce really gives a wonderful taste of summer in the middle of the dark bleak winter.

Last year due to the pandemic i tried to grow as much veggies in the garden as possible. It was frustrating because my soil was depleted. This Spring i worked hard to apply compost and straw, and I decided to give myself a break by not trying to plant and tend so many kinds of veggies this year. So, I'm sticking with my tomatoes, tomatillos, some peppers, and of course the blueberries. Much of the vegetable garden will simply lie resting under compost and straw this Summer. Hoping the earthworms come and aerate it.

Instead of my usual other veggies, I'm planting more simple annual flowers just to lift my spirit with cheerful colors and bouquets. I bought some flats with good old fashioned zinnias. Also some tall violet ageratum, blue morning glories, a big blue hyssop plant and 3 purple salvia for the various bees, and several spectacular red tithonia.
I can't wait to see all the new crazy colors in my garden this year for a change!

--
Site Owner

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
3 years ago
188 posts

In Toronto you jog every morning.  12 degrees tomorrow in KCMO.  No way....of course I stroll.

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

Wow, Ken. Losing weight as well as keeping it off is really hard.  Good for you.  Robert, thank you for recommending Johnny's Selected Seeds.  I'll check them out when I need to re-order.

The broccoli seeds are ready to harvest today and mung beans are beginning to show signs of sprouting.  I've been conservative in the amount of seeds I've started since I'm experimenting with varieties and didn't want to become overwhelmed with too many sprouts at one time.

We had the alfalfa sprouts in a salad last night and really liked them.  Will try them in a sandwich today for lunch.  This is such fun!  Thank you, Strumelia, for your advice and encouragement.  Nina (aka) Dulcinina)

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

@ken-hulme Huzzah!  I hope the weight loss contributes to your overall health-- as long as we're kicking it's good to feel as well as we can!  

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Anniversary of sorts.  After nearly a year, including the stress of Covid lockdown (and we take it very seriously), I am still 40 pounds lighter than I was in September of 2019.  Thank you WW.  No fancy expensive foods, just watching what, when and how much I eat. 

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
4 years ago
252 posts

I highly recommend Johnnys Selected Seeds in Winslow ME. They have the largest selection of seed for sprouts and micro greens. All are organic and definitely not treated with fungicides. Check them out.... Robert

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

Awesome!!!!  So excited for you!  joyjoy   Those look nice and bright, fresh.

Now be sure to measure how many seeds you start with in the jar, they should almost fill the jar when done. I find that 4 level teaspoons (meaning 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon, all level not rounded) will fill my entire quart jar nicely without being so tight I can't pull them out.

For lunch today I had a sandwich made with two thin slices meunster cheese and a BIG handful each of mung sprouts and red clover sprouts, on peasant bread with a little butter and mayo. Yum!  Basically a sprout sandwich.

--
Site Owner

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

My first "crop" of alfalfa sprouts.  Uhh, not sure I attached the picture correctly.  Nina

Sprouts.jpg
Sprouts.jpg  •  106KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

Nina, I'm excited for you- you GO girl!  I look forward to a few pix later.
I'm convinced that sprouts that are truly fresh (grown at home) are a real powerhouse of healthy nutrients. muscle
Remember to keep them dark while growing, until the last day when you set the jar next to a bright window- so fun to see them get so GREEN within a few hours of being exposed to light!

--
Site Owner

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

I ordered lids for my mason jars and a variety of seeds.  The lids came the day after I ordered them! The seeds came yesterday and I've started two jars--alfalfa and broccoli seeds.  I've watched plenty of YouTubes so we'll see how the seeds sprout.  I hope to post pictures once there is something to photograph. Nina

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
4 years ago
252 posts

Nice sprouts! I making dinner  and would love a bunch of them NOW.

Just picked the last of my romaine lettuce from the field. I had them on raised beds covered with black plastic mulch so frost never got them. Cold weather really brings out the flavor... Robert

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

There are many good youtube tutorials if you search there for "growing sprouts in quart mason jars". You can get organic sprouting seeds easily on A*zon, also those stainless steel screen tops that I like to use.  Or just use some cheesecloth and a rubber band. Just make sure to use the wide mouth jars so you can pull the mass of grown sprouts out without damaging them. You can buy either like a 1lb bag of a certain seed (a lb of alfalfa seed last me a year) or try a collection that has several varieties of littler sampler bags of seed to try out. Be sure the seed specifically says it's for sprouting.

Once you've put in the seeds and secured the screen or mesh top, you won't be removing the top until the sprouts are all grown and ready. You just do the twice daily rinsing right through the mesh at the sink. The jars stay upside down so no water pools in the jar, and must stay covered and dark until the last day when you do a final jar rinse and set the jar by a bright windowsill- the leaves will green up within 2 or 3 hours in the light.

A handful of sprouts is actually more nutritious than a handful of lettuce leaves. It's such a cheap and easy way to have absolutely FRESH greens on hand. You'll be amazed at how low the sprouts stay fresh in your fridge- because the sprouts one buys in the store are days or sometimes more than a week old since they were packaged.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 12/13/20 08:35:20AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Those look gorgeous, too.  It never occurred to me to grow my own sprouts. I just buy those little plastic containers at the green grocer. I sometimes get the spicy broccoli sprouts, too, but I'm the only one in the house who likes 'em.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

Today we taste tested the alfalfa vs the red clover sprouts. Alfalfa won again, but both were tasty.
Dusty, the red clover has very slightly more golden leaves and finer texture. The alfalfa sprouts have darker green little leaves and whiter roots, so they are really pretty. Here is a pic of a quart container full of my alfalfa sprouts after rinsing removed most of the empty hulls. They really are purty after being cleaned and drained and tucked into a fridge tub. A quart goes a long way, giving enough for several very generous sandwiches and salad toppings.
It's convenient how the empty hulls float to the top when you rinse the finished sprouts, making them easy to skim away. When you pull the wad of sprouts out of the jar, they really are a packed mass which you have to gently tease apart to wash them before draining well and putting in the fridge. That's why I never use more than 4 level teaspoons of seed for a quart jar!

Alfalfa sprouts:

alfalfa.jpg

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 12/12/20 11:02:00PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Those fresh red clover sprouts look so light and delicious! tongueout

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

Wow.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  I ordered my seeds yesterday.  I'm excitted to get started.  Nina

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

@dulcinina here are a few pix from this morning. The full jar ready to harvest is red clover. The little seeds just soaked overnight and ready to start growing are alfalfa. Then you see the mung beans which have been growing about three days after soaking overnight.
Then pix of pulling the mat of sprouts out of the jar, and teasing them apart and risning in a tub where the hulls float and can be skimmed away. then the finished rinsed drained red clover sprouts in a quart tupperware tub for the fridge.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

I tried a variety mix once, but found it problematic that the different types of seeds matured at slightly different rates. I also found the larger seed ones in the mix to be a little too crunchy. But some folks like the mixes especially for sandwiches and salads, so you could try a small package maybe? Other people love broccoli sprouts.
My husband and I like mild   tasting sprouts best, so our mainstay is alfalfa. Every time I try something different, we wind up going back to alfalfa...I guess we're just set in our boring ways.  oldman oma

--
Site Owner

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked on Amazon and there is a lot to choose from.  Have y ou tried the variety packs?  Food to Live has alfalfa, broccoli, mung, clover and radish.  What's your experience with any of these?  Nina

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

Dulcinina, yes cheese cloth and a rubber band works too!  Some people cut plastic cross-stitch mesh into circles to use with the canning jar's metal band top. Others use pieces of tulle fabric or landscaping mesh. Anything that keeps the seeds in but lets water drain out. I just find the stainless steel screens to be convenient to clean and reuse, since I sprout a lot.

Try to use the WIDE-mouth canning jars, so that it's easy to pull the finished clump of sprouts out once they are done growing... usually the sprouts pack the entire jar if you start with 4 teaspoons of seed, and it's hard to pull a big dense clump out with a small mouth jar. You can use a little less seed, or smaller jars or different containers, but don't use more than 4 teaspoons of say alfalfa or radish per quart jar or the sprouts will get too crowded to grow. I read that a 1/4 cup of mung beans per quart jar works well, but I'm trying that out now.
I'll try to get some photos later to add.  :)

--
Site Owner

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

I haven't done this in a long time.  But you've inspired me to start again. Post a picture if you can of the jars before and after sprouting. I don't have screw on screen tops for my jars.  Would cheese cloth and a rubber band work?  Thanks for posting.  Going to give this a try again.  Nina

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

Now that Winter has set in and the veggie garden is dormant, I've started my winter tradition of growing fresh sprouts in jars in my kitchen.

Especially now during the pandemic when I want to avoid frequent trips out to buy food, fresh SPROUTS are a terrific substitute for lettuce! We pile them on sandwiches, in tortilla rollups, and as a side for scrambled eggs or anywhere you would want a little handful of greens. Mung sprouts are also good in stir fried dishes. I find that a head of pretty purple raddichio stays nice for three whole weeks in the fridge, so a couple of thin slices of raddichio, some grated carrot, and a handful of sprouts (and some croutons!) makes a wonderful salad.

This year with buying lettuce less frequently, I went all in and am adding two other types of sprouts to our usual favorite of alfalfa sprouts... I'm now alternating growing jars of alfalfa sprouts with mung bean and red clover. (we don't care for the peppery types like radish sprouts though some folks love those)

I use quart jars with screw on screen tops, and because each jar takes 5 or 6 days I keep two jars growing at any given time. I start a new jar every 4 days or so because it takes us about four days to eat through each batch. I just have to remember to rinse and drain the growing sprouts twice a day so they stay moist and clean while growing. I keep the jars upside down (to avoid any water pooling in the jar) in my dish draining rack, covered with a cloth to keep them dark. On the last day I sit the jar near a bright window and they totally green up within a few hours- so pretty and magical! Then I pull them out of the jar, tease them apart, rinse several times to remove most of the hulls, and put them in a plastic tub in the fridge to eat. A quart jar can make a big bunch of sprouts! It only takes 4 teaspoons of alfalfa seeds to wind up with a quart jar jammed FULL of mature sprouts.
I buy organic 'sprouting seeds' on am*zon in 1 pound bags. Don't use seeds meant for planting because those are often treated and/or GMO. A 1lb bag will last you at least a year. 
Just seeing the green jars growing in my kitchen during the dead of winter always brings me a feeling of hope and renewal.

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

I've cleaned up my modest vegetable garden for the winter (it's fenced in, about 20'x40', with three long 3 foot wide beds). Most of the plants had died already from exhaustion or from our first several mild frosts.
But a little section of young lettuces and a few dozen radish plants still survived and were growing.
I know from the forecast that some hard freezes in the 20s are coming this next week, so today I'll go out and cut a couple last bags' worth of leaf lettuce and pull a few last radishes. That'll last us for another couple of weeks eating.
At that point I'll switch to buying lettuce and doing my usual kitchen growing of alfalfa sprouts in jars. We love having a supply of fresh sprouts during the winter, and it's not so hard to keep up doing.

I do enjoy taking a total vacation from garden chores each winter!

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

I'm rootin' for you Sandi!  pimento

--
Site Owner

hugssandi
@hugssandi
4 years ago
244 posts

Even though I'm quiet I still love getting the e-mails updating this thread!  I am a month-and-a-half into eating like a bear (keto, IF 23:1), and I cannot believe the difference already.  I couldn't believe the difference in two weeks~though I do still have a very long way to go.  I know that I will never view the comment, "That's just water weight," over rapid weight loss the same way again.  That was water that meant inflammation, swelling, limited mobility, and needed to come off!  

I do have a very long way to go, but I chose this method because of the possible autophagy helping with loose skin.  I'm going to have loose skin with all I need to lose, but anything to help, please!  LOL!  In all honesty, this has been one of the easiest eating plans I've ever tried, and I am so thankful.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
4 years ago
252 posts

Here in South Jersey we've been continually blasted with rain and humidity since June. My and my neighbors vegetable farms are looking poorly. But I still have plenty of food for myself and family. Lately I have been going stir crazy, stir fry crazy that is ☺. 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

Today I'll cleanup another area of the veg garden that is kaput for the year- the cucumbers. The tomato plants are mostly brown now, with a few odd stragglers still putting out some plum or cherry tomatoes. But I'll still be planting lettuce and radish seed every couple of weeks 'til mid Oct- they like the cold weather and will usually thrive until early December here in New York. My pepper plants are doing fine too- they seemed pretty frost resistant last year until Thanksgiving or so. I've found it helps to do the Fall veggie garden cleanup a section at a time... easier on me than trying to do it all in a couple of days later on.

I've actually been keeping up with my trampoline/rebounder sessions. It's been over two months now, and I've managed to go from starting out at 5 minute sessions to now 11 minutes, soon to be 12.  I think my current goal is to be able to do a 15 minute session at least 5 days a week. That doesn't sound like a lot, but try doing jumping jacks or jumping rope for 15 minutes straight and you'll quickly see what i mean. hot   It's hard work! 
I alternate straight bouncing with jumping jacks and jogging on it. When my 11 min are up, I get off and do some stretches and twists to finish up. So far I'm not avoiding it or feeling bored to death. I like that I don't have to spend a lot of time to feel like I've had a workout. I know it's doing me a lot of good... my legs are definitely stronger. I notice I'm going upstairs much more easily, and it seems easier to tie my shoes and do weeding or vacuuming.
I've lost about 4 pounds in the past two months, but I hesitate to attribute it to anything in particular. But far better than slowly continuing to gain, like i was before.

--
Site Owner

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Thanx, Lisa.  I figured after all these years I needed a change!

We're doing Zoom yoga with our teacher, and I do T'ai-chi in a local park with a couple friends; plus walking when it's not 90F+ and 90% humidity!

I made a vegetarian Picnic Pie for Sunday Brunch today -- roasted veggies and some cheese encased in puff pastry, baked in a springform pan.  When it's done you have a free-standing 'pie' that is 3" tall and 9" in diameter that you slice and serve in wedges.  A little decadent with the puff pastry, but once in awhile you've got to splurge.  It being Mango season we had chilled mango halves for dessert.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,248 posts

We had a nice salad for dinner today, with lettuce, carrots, scallions, peppers, and cucumber- all of that fresh from the garden. I added a few other items we like: cheese, croutons, and pumpkin seeds. I am sure looking forward our first tomatoes, we have lots of big green ones. I'm dreaming about tomato mayonnaise sandwiches. dancetomato

Hey KenH- very nifty new avatar! yes

I've been doing my bounce fitness sessions on my rebounder/trampoline for the past ten days now, usually twice a day. I'm am now able to do 8 minute sessions. The first few days, 5 minutes would completely wipe me out. I'm definitely feeling stronger- my legs are stronger already, and I don't get quite as winded even though I'm jumping more. I've lost a couple pounds but that could be water weight so I'll have to wait and see on that. One knee got a little sore when I did some twisting bounces, so I'm avoiding that particular move now and it's helping.
It's really encouraging that I'm seeing obvious progress after only ten days. I'm actually looking forward to it each day. gangnam1   It's nice to feel energized again!
I got some long resistance bands and having fun experimenting with tying them to the frame to add some arm stretching.

--
Site Owner

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

I have kept your place tucked away in my mind ever since you told me about it in Berea.  Nina 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Nina -- anytime.  Our AirBnb listing is open once again (cautiously), and I'll certainly make you a gourmet seafood dinner!

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

I call my husky/malamute my Trail Buddy and try to get out with him for about an hour every other day.  Recent hot weather has forced me to try doing that in the morning.  (I'm NOT an a.m. person and tend to muddle along until finally alert.)  I've tried night hikes, but he's just not as happy with paved walking, our local parks shut down at sunset, and flashlight hikes in fields and woods can be tricky.  <sigh!> 

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

yes

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
4 years ago
188 posts
Dulcinina, Jane and her older sister Kate play softball, are on the girls wrestling team and throw during track season.
dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

Wow, Don.  Good for your grandaughter!  Another Outdoor Woman!  I attended a few KY Outdoor Woman weekends put on my KY Fish and Wildlife.  They taught all kinds of outdoor skills--fishing, archery, orienteering (sp?) survival skills, canooing etc.  I had so much fun.  Alas, I am not a fisherwoman.  But I'm always delighted when I seen young girls doing such sports.

Ken, I can only dream and live on memories of fresh ocean seafood.  Maybe some day I can rent your little place and you can fix a gourmet seafood dinner for me.  

Lisa, I, too, have not been walking regularly because of the heat and humidity.  But I do my yoga stretches every morning. And since we live in a two-story house, I get to climb steps all the time cuz when I'm upstairs, I need something that's downstairs and vice versa.  Nina (aka Dulcinina)

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
4 years ago
188 posts
I prefer the intimacy of Ozark streams. I enjoy the sound of the streams and watching the braiding currents. Assuming the picture came through...my granddaughter last week.
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Hardly anyone goes swimming in the sea down here.  Playing "Bobber" is thing.  Or sitting in the shade and watching/listening to the surf roll in and the seabirds.  On a good day you'll be out Bobbing and manatee will come up to investigate you; or a pod of dolphins want to play with you.

updated by @ken-hulme: 07/14/20 03:23:23PM
 / 4