Your music area

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

wow, amazing cabinet lora. Montreal is quite humid in the summer and damp in the winter. I already feel like I am in a temperature controlled cabinet..but brilliant idea.

marg
@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

Oh my, that is beautiful. Your dulcimers look like they are on display in a museum. Thanks for sharing.

lora
@lora
9 years ago
7 posts

I hope every one who is displaying their instruments is also keeping track of indoor humidity. I read on another thread of someone's Rockwell "developing" cracks. That is what happens when wood gets too dry. Also the fretboard shrinks and the fret wires start to stick out. To make sure my dulcimers have the proper condition year round but can also be easily accessed for playing, I had a custom made display cabinet created by Case Sensitive. They make beautiful guitar cabinets for guitars, but this is the first one made for dulcimers.

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  112KB

updated by @lora: 08/02/15 01:20:16PM
marg
@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

Thanks monica, i tried it out tonight and it is really a great chair for playing. I can't imagin what the chair was really made for since it is so low but it is great for my prupose. My dulcibon is a large instrument, especially with the case so it's on the other side of the room to fetch when i need. Other than that, yes i think I'm good for awhile on my set up.

If ever you are down i the Houston area, stop by and try it out ;-)

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

That's a great chair Marg, Your set up looks very nice.

marg
@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

WOW, monica - not quite what I have.

I did find a chair today that is the best one for playing I have seen at any of the stores. Low, wide (to hole a few grandkids) no arms but a back. Problem was, how to make it fit in my space, design wise. But than some of my dulcimers are hanging on an art easel, so shouldn't be too hard to fit a new design. The price was so good, I got it. Turns out it is a design they used in one of the Maxtrix's scenes. So now, I have a great chair for playing and a conversation piece. The rest of the room may still need some rearranging but I think this will work. 

Thanks

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

Try looking on pinterest for music room ideas/decor. I found this ...

marg
@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

Your spaces sound just like me - all good but how will I fit one more anything or someone coming over to play also?

Thanks for sharing, love all this

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
9 years ago
258 posts

Is that akin to getting 'noterised'?

JohnH

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

I was going to show you a picture of the interior of my sailboat, but I was afraid you all would get claustrophobic!

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

I usually sit on the edge of the sofa facing opposite this corner. Clearly there is limited space, hopefully this well serve to deter me from buying more Dulcimers.

updated by @monica: 07/03/15 09:48:28AM
marg
@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

I started with one dulcimer and not much music, now I have several dulcimers and other instruments and lots of music, tabs, books, bags, stands, misc. and etc.

At one time I could practice most anywhere, than I started moving around trying to find a spot. I am now trying to set up an area and I was looking for ideas of how you may have yours arranged. What type of seating you thinks works well and size of area or space or room you have.

Any ideas or photos of your special music space or area would be a hugh help, thanks.

updated by @marg: 04/07/21 04:39:52AM