Naming Dulcimers

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
13 years ago
242 posts

There's a Rain Captain? Can we get him fired or something? We've had enough rain, and we aren't even close to The Mississippi!

Paul

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
13 years ago
168 posts
Was this name brought on by all the rain captain.

Donato De Santis said:
The flood gates have been opened .... my dulcimer decided to tell me its name is "Nemo" ( go figure! ) Smile.gif
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
13 years ago
168 posts

LOL not a bug or a cat33.gif it's a Boston Terror. HAHA

Paul Certo said:

That ain't no BUG, it's a CAT! I've seen those kinda critters before.

Paul

BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts
OK, my dulcimer has told me her name finally, it's Ginger. :)
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
13 years ago
242 posts

That ain't no BUG, it's a CAT! I've seen those kinda critters before.

Paul

Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
13 years ago
168 posts
LOL I've already been zapped with the DULCIMER bug! 77_forums.jpg?width=721 78_forums.jpg?width=721 ?width=721
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
13 years ago
168 posts
Got my new Papaws dulcimer made by Bill Rich today and it is Beautifu8.gif l. I just can't decide if it's a boy or a girl yet106.gif , after I play it a while i'll know and then a name will come to me39.gif . It is made of Hawian KOA with a ebony fret board, possum board and a ...... pick up. Yep I've gone ELECTRIC!!!!!!35.gif I'll post pics tomorrow.
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
13 years ago
242 posts

I never named mine. But after learning about a mythical beast in High School Spanish classes, our younger daughter named my bass dulcimer "Chupacabra." She said it was the biggest dulcimer she ever saw, and thought the name fit. I don't see it that way, but I didn't bother to argue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra I think she named her fiddle, too. (Dad! It's a VIOLIN!)

Paul

BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts
Oh my that's a pretty one! And now I know how NOT to lose my pick. Grin.gif

Dana R. McCall said:
I named my new Modern Mountain Made of Curly maple "Curly Sue" it just seemed to fit. 76_forums.jpg?width=721
BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts
24.gif Icabod Crane...I love it!

Ken Hulme said:
I've not been one to name my instruments, just my boats. However, since Harpmaker Dave created a slightly customized Student model for me - without a tuning head so that it would fit in my travel footlocker. Being"headless", it has attained the nickname ofIcabod Crane...
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
13 years ago
168 posts
I named my new Modern Mountain Made of Curly maple "Curly Sue" it just seemed to fit. 75_forums.jpg?width=721
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
13 years ago
2,255 posts

Beth, be sure to tell us when you decide on a name- that dulcimer is so lovely!

I like naming things. I name my bicycles, and i name my beehives and my apiary. I named my mandolins and my banjos. I named my Galax dulcimer The Merrimac after the Civil War iron-clad ship....but oddly i haven't named my beautiful curly maple Keith Young dulcimer! Can't figure out why.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
13 years ago
2,126 posts
I've not been one to name my instruments, just my boats. However, since Harpmaker Dave created a slightly customized Student model for me - without a tuning head so that it would fit in my travel footlocker. Being"headless", it has attained the nickname ofIcabod Crane...
BethH
BethH
@beth-hansen
13 years ago
41 posts

I just got mine, and I'm thinking about naming her. She's definitely a she...

74_forums.jpg

I think she needs to gain her voice before she can tell me her name. But I'm curious about the rest of you, what are your instrument's names?

Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
14 years ago
45 posts
Hi Folkfan,

I hope you don't think I was offended by your response.
There are a number of names for fairy in Gaelic. I found another in Scots - sitheach.

Sith (with the accent over the i) also means peace. I almost gave my dulcimer that name since I liked the double meaning. Then my daughter pointed out that the Sith are the evil jedi in Star Wars and no one would consider the Gaelic meaning.

Since your response, I'm thinking, at least one other person knows it's Gaelic and pronounced shee. I might just go back to Sith - peace and fairy. Thanks, Folkfan.
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
I just never seen that particular spelling. I know that in the Irish Gaelic they're known by various names such as the daoine sdhe. While in the Scots Gaelic they are the daoine sth or daoine sdh. The true meaning has been debated. Both People of Peace or Men of Peace, and People of the Barrow (Hollow Hill) are possible translations. The true nature of the sidhe depends in part on what court they are believed to be from, the Seelie, or the UnSeelie. Personally the UnSeelie sound like they have more fun!!!! ;-)
Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
14 years ago
45 posts
Sithiche is Scots Gaelic as opposed to Irish. Pronunciation is similiar: shee-ich with the ch pronounced hard as in loch. If I could figure out how to do it, there'd be a reversed accent over the first i.
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
I've normally seen the Gaelic for the people of the hollow hills as Sidhe and pronounced Shee. Sidhe Beag Sidhe Mor are the two fairy hills in the tune by O'Carolan. Rosemary Bridges said:
Hi Stephanie,
How would you pronounce Sithiche? I have no problems with Hebrew at all which is supposed to be so difficult but for some reason Gaelic just throws me. I guess being written in English characters I fall into my own pronunciation a little too easily. Gaelic rules are convoluted and those are my peoples!
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
Interesting spelling for Sidhe.And yes I do name my instruments. In fact Harpmaker used to store his inventory with me only on the condition that I not give them names. For some reason he felt (heheheheee)that if I gave it a name, I wouldn't let it go. Of course, he was right.Most commonly, I name an instrument because of its sound hole pattern. But some times it's shape or voice speaks to me more. So here goes:1. Thistle (thistles are wood burned around a round sound hole)2. Ivy (Ivy leaf shaped sound hole with wood burned vines)3. Mae (after her Mae West hourglass shape)4. Dear Heart (heart shaped sound holes)5. Magic (unicorn sound holes)6. Flame (walnut with flamed aspen top)7. Flare (flared pattern in poplar top with flame sound holes)8. Star Bright (tear drop all walnut with star sound holes but very bright traditional sound)9. Irish (a true boxed dulcimer as it has a lid that removes which covers a courting dulcimer. Top is covered with wood burned knotwork and vines10.Comet (Comet shaped sound holes)11. Star Light (Star fish shaped sound holes)12. Comet's Fancy ( another comet shaped sound hole, but highly figured cherry and figured redwood top with gold tuners with jade buttons.)13. Fred (for Winifred the Woebegone and f shaped sound holes)14. Is undergoing some restoration and perhaps he will tell me his name when I'm finished. I haven't had a chance to sing with this one yet.
Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
14 years ago
45 posts
So I'm curious. How many of us name our dulcimers and how do we choose the name?

I didn't name my first dulcimer at first. It wasn't until years later that a name popped into my head after I'd been playing. Since then, each dulcimer gets a name that doesn't occur to me until after I've been playing it for awhile.

So my Edd Presnell is named Gypsy, my Blue Lions are Dove and Sithiche (gaelic for fairy).

updated by @stephanie-stuckwisch: 08/03/23 02:19:31PM