dulcimer finds its voice

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

Here are a couple of tunes in Bb. Finger dancing on a 30" scale takes practice, but the sound is something else. The drones are very strong and easily drown out the melody, don't like double melody. I compensate with a slightly stiffer pick. Melody is definitely brighter with a noter stick. I tried it with a psaltery bow which works better than a fiddle bow. I think a large instrument like this is best played on a table top. I prefer bagpipe with its low string over pure Galax... 

Made a new just intonated 30" fret ruler so I hope to build an hourglass version by the end of the year. I prefer the sound of the hourglass shape and look forward to how it will sound... Thanks for all your interest and nice complements... Robert.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Nice story, Robert. I'm sure it's gratifying to finally "free" your dulcimer and let her sing.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
9 years ago
49 posts

Your comment inspired me to learn Pretty Saro - people often mention it, but now I know why! Such a haunting tune! Sounds lovely on the just intonated butternut you made me, Robert. Or, as lovely as I can make it ;-) 

Dan
Dan
@dan
9 years ago
183 posts

Lovin' it!!!

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Very beautiful instrument, I am inspired along with you.

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Very pretty dulcimer Robert. I can see why you were inspired...

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

Spent the evening playing Pretty Saro on this dulcimer. Often its the instrument that inspires the tune. Here's a picture... Robert...

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

Is that the dulcimer in your avatar picture Robert?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

That's not a drone it's a DRONE!

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

Thanks and welcome Paula to the world of dulcimers. I like turning a living room decoration into a fully functional instrument... Robert...

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

That sounds fantastic Robert.

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

It's beautiful Robert, thanks for sharing. 

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

Three years ago I built a Galax inspired dulcimer and set it up as a baritone. Spruce top and white oak back, 30" vsl. never liked the sound, the Champion tuners would not allow me to tune higher. Recently I modified the Champions and now they work great. So this was the first time I could try the dulcimer in different keys. I added the forth string and lowered the gauge. Wow I was really impressed, the dulcimer came to life. The long scale means the drones vibrate... like forever...joyjoy I tried different strings but settled on .011 melody .014 and .026 bronze wound bass. Plays best in A bagpipe... Here is a sound clip... Robert

updated by @robert-schuler: 08/03/23 02:21:23PM