Creative song mix-ups (NOT mistakes!)

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

Yep--In my toddler years I learned to sing "Frosty the Snowman" from a cracked 45rpm--and would sing it all over the house, crack and all!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
9 years ago
64 posts

Well, my goodness.  I still have a landline (not the rotary phone though).  But before 8-Tracks and even cassette tapes, there were 45 rpms that had these inserts and when a record began to skip a penny or two (maybe even a nickle) would to make the record not stutter.  And there was the Western Flyer, the little red wagon, and red ball jets.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

Well, for goodness sakes--what did y'all DO with your rotary phones???  Throw them away? surprised

Lovely to have at least one older phone in the house that will still work when the electricity goes out and the cell phones die and can't be recharged! callme

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
9 years ago
64 posts

I remember that you guys did that...don't think I ever saw or heard it though...as you say,not in the public domain.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Jan, Carrie Barnes and I wrote up some silly lyrics for Where O Where Are You Tonight, Hee Haw, song. That was

fun. Unfortunately the tune is not public domain but we still had a blast writing up crazy lyrics....at the expense of the Keanes, LOL. Remember that John? winky

updated by @patty-from-virginia: 10/03/15 05:33:47PM
Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Ah, the Green Stamp book...How far we have come!

Bob Reinsel
Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
9 years ago
80 posts

I've heard you can since any Emily Dickinson poem to the tune of The Yellow Rose of Texas:

THEY say that “time assuages”,—

Time never did assuage;

An actual suffering strengthens,

As sinews do, with age.

Time is a test of trouble,  

But not a remedy.

If such it prove, it prove too

There was no malady.

Now that's a cheerful little ditty. dancecool

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake

updated by @bob-reinsel: 10/02/15 03:50:08PM
Sam
Sam
@sam
9 years ago
169 posts

Belonged to a poetry site once that did a lot of parody contests. I did one on 'Windmills Of Your Mind' Titled 'Wind From Her Behind' ... I won ...

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

A few years ago I went to a Christmas show at Slim's (a club in San Francisco owned by Boz Scaggs) that featured El Vez, the Mexican Elvis impersonator.

For the first song, the band was playing a cover of the Stones's tune "Sympathy for the Devil," you know with the female backup singers doing the "woo woo," and El Vez coming out doing Mick Jagger gangly dance positions and stuff.  He then approached the microphone and everyone expected "Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and fame," but instead, El Vez switched into Elvis impersonator mode and sang "Blue Christmas" while the band (including the back-up singers) kept playing "Sympathy for the Devil."

You can't find kitsch like that everyday! The band is called the Memphis Mariachis and the back-up singers are called the Lovely Elvettes. The first time I saw them, at a winery in Napa, the Elvettes wore sombreros over their breasts.

Here is a less elaborate version of what I'm talking about:

. Notice how El Vez goes back and forth between Elvis and Jagger. And then after flirting with the audience, he does Blue Suede Shoes en español, and the guitarist plays the melody of Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer for his solo.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,111 posts

Jabberwockey was, I think, the first real poem I memorized, 'way back when...

john p
john p
@john-p
9 years ago
173 posts

I'd do you the full lyrics, but I fear the spellchecker already needs extensive therapy :)

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,111 posts

That sounds really interesting john-p

john p
john p
@john-p
9 years ago
173 posts

"Jabberwockey" sung to he tune of Annan Waters.

You need to tweak the odd line by using the time honoured folk device of adding an '-o' to the end.

Twas brillig and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe - o

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
9 years ago
108 posts

Of all the "Amazing Grace/House of the Rising Sun/I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing/Gilligan's Island/Goodnight Irene" mashups my favorite (so far) is Emily Dickinson's poem "Because I Could Not Stop for Death" sung to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas."

Anything goes in 4-line iambic tetrameter.  Personally, I like "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "Freebird" but I wouldn't inflict it on the general public.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,111 posts

Friend of mine has written Florida-specific lyrics to Winter Wonderland.  "Walkin' in a winter wonderland" has a whole new meaning on a beach in Decemberdancecool

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

Jan, we did that for Christmas a couple of years ago and it turned out kinds neat. 

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

No, not mistakes (like when half the group starts playing "Soldiers' Joy" and the other half start on "Whiskey Before Breakfast")............I'm referring to mix-ups that are done on purpose.  Here are a few examples:

• Take a hymn or Christmas carol that everyone knows and pair the words with a folk tune.  People will listen more closely to the words and may get a new appreciation for the message.
  • Take a poem or nursery rhyme and pair it will a well-known tune.  For instance, "Jack and Jill Went Up the Hill"  with "Pop Goes the Weasel"
  • Take a simple well-known tune and write some new words for it.  These words might have special meaning for your club, family, church, etc.  I've done this with the "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" song.
  • Take a short 4-line hymn or other song and write a new tune for it, following the AABA song structure where the third line is substantially different from lines 1,2, and 4.
  • Many are familiar with a hymn like "Amazing Grace" being sung to a tune like "House of the Rising Sun" or "The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle".  Some people, however, feel this is irreverent.  So mix things up a little more and take the words to "House of the Rising Sun" and sing them to the tune of "The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle" or some other silly song.

Have fun!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

updated by @jan-potts: 08/03/23 08:43:48AM