Oddities hanging on your walls

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Beautiful sad sound with the bow on the instrument, thanks for sharing the video.

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
8 years ago
52 posts

256 Our back room has an old foundry mold (I have no idea what the product was.) with a carved rosewood elephant sitting on it. 
Maggie said, "Jim, you're not going to take a picture of that thing before you wipe the dust off." 

Sorry Maggie.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Objectsession said

We used to tape up our empty ramen packages on the dorm door . . the *outside* of the door. Kind of a pride/shame thing I guess. Laugh

That's what we did with demerits when I was in college (LONG before the days of Ramen noodles!!!).  We were supposed to feel ashamed that we'd gotten them, but most who got them felt like they didn't deserve them, so it was sort of an act of defiance to tape them to your door so all could see.

I (ahem!) got a few my freshman year--and, yes, I taped them to my door as was customary!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
8 years ago
52 posts

Here's a tiple, essentially a 10 string wire strung ukulele.  It was made in Chicago by the Regal Company.
It has four courses and is tuned gG-cCc-eEe-AA.  I do play this on occasion.

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
8 years ago
52 posts

256 This is an old Oscar Schmidt guitar zither that hangs on our back room wall.  I also have a mandolin zither that was given to me by a cousin, but it hasn't found a home.  I doubt these will ever be played, but they look neat.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,425 posts

Sandi, that's hilarious!  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

hugssandi:

Is it too much to share that we have a water stain in our living room ceiling that looks like a very artsy rendition of male anatomy?  And you know how people see Jesus in a cheese cracker?  Well, WHAT DOES IT MEAN?  LOL!  ~I do have a pic, I'm just too embarrassed to share it~

I guess you see what you want to see. Some people want Jesus, and some want  . . . shocked

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

It really is amazing!  Even our Pastor says we should charge people to see it!  LOL!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Sandi, you just cracked me up.   Too funny!    tmi

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Is it too much to share that we have a water stain in our living room ceiling that looks like a very artsy rendition of male anatomy?  And you know how people see Jesus in a cheese cracker?  Well, WHAT DOES IT MEAN?  LOL!  

~I do have a pic, I'm just too embarrassed to share it~

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

Dusty...you ain't right lol!  Robin, rumor has it that you just may be correct.  winky   Jan, that sound like about the coolest trip ever!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

John Keane, that dredges up quite a few memories from almost 50 years ago: 30+ teenagers on a 3-week bus trip through 2 countries, stopping at a World's Fair, 2 capitals, seeing the ocean, getting lost on the NYC subway, visiting the major cities of the northeast coast and every historic site we could cram in--with multiple verses to this tune added every day, including verses about every person on the bus.  I remember my verse was about me and a particular boy on the trip with whom I had fallen madly in love...I married him 5 years later!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Hey, Hey! Mr. Keane ain't monkeyin' around!

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,425 posts

John, I'm thinking our own Ken Bloom did studio work on Monkees' music back in the day. . . 

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

It was just there (and cheap).  I held my enthusiasm in check until we paid and left lol.  Laugh

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

John, that brings back some memories!

Maxspop
Maxspop
@bobby-maxspop-bingham
9 years ago
7 posts

Very cool, John!

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

One of my wall hanging oddities (flea market find). 

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
9 years ago
115 posts

Kristi Keller:
Re Milagro Beanfields War - it is part of a trilogy about the area. Favorite section for me is the informal rodeo description.It is actually a common activity in rural areas of New Mexico and Arizona.

Kristi...speaking of rodeo as a common activity. I'm in the construction biz and about 25 years ago Mexicans became the predominate workforce here in NE. Most of our guys come from a little town 'Agua del Medio, about 60 miles southeast of San Luis Potosi.....they're country boys f'sure.

So we got hired to pour concrete in the stalls and hallways of an existing horse barn....maybe 50 stalls or so. The guys picked up a rope hanging on the wall and could rope everything! The owner saw them and got them on horseback and they could do all the rodeo skills. I had a hard time getting the owner to let them get back to work!

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
9 years ago
84 posts

Re Milagro Beanfields War - it is part of a trilogy about the area. Favorite section for me is the informal rodeo description.It is actually a common activity in rural areas of New Mexico and Arizona.

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
9 years ago
84 posts

We see jackrabbits here in our yard in foothills above Tucson. They are smaller than the ones I used to see when patrolling , on horseback, in parks and Pima County areas for sheriff's department.  The deer were another favorite of mine and so were/are mountain lions. This is a magical area in which to live. And you would go nuts the 1st time you saw collard lizards doing pushups....

Am still in neck collar for broken neck , can't hold a book due to nerve damage (or play dulcimer) so spend a fair amount of time gazing into our yard. The critters provide lots of entertainment!

Maxspop
Maxspop
@bobby-maxspop-bingham
9 years ago
7 posts

Thanks, C-T, for the info.  Nobody believes me when I tell'em it's a real jackalope!  Not even when I offer them some jackalope sausage!whistle

Maxspop
Maxspop
@bobby-maxspop-bingham
9 years ago
7 posts

joe sanguinette:
i loved the "milagro beanfield war" filmed in and around taos new mexico.  spending a few days in the area should be on everyone's list

Yes, Joe, great movie!

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

Dusty, your document is fascinating! It's amazing that it survived this long, I wonder how much digital content will be around in 200 years?

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

Bobby, that is a fine specimen of Lepus antilocapra. Dusty, jackrabbits are hares and the antelope in question is a pronghorn, but jackalopes are real!rofl  

Maxspop
Maxspop
@bobby-maxspop-bingham
9 years ago
7 posts

That's the only taxidermy I have in our house.  We don't kill animals, just enjoy watching them where we live.  Someone gave me the "jackalope."  It gets lots of attention when folks come by!  BTW, I like your quote by Woody Guthrie.  I also have some "jackalope sausage" which no one will eat!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Cool, Bobby. If I had any kind of taxidermy mount in my house I would want it to be a jackalope.  I was just explaining to my daughter what jackalopes are . . . uh . . . or aren't.

Someone told me that jackrabbits are not rabbits and antelopes are not antelopes.  Sounds crazy to me.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Maxspop
Maxspop
@bobby-maxspop-bingham
9 years ago
7 posts

I don't have anything as spectacular as most of you, but this jackalope in my picking parlor gets lots of raised eyebrows!

IMAG0039.jpg
IMAG0039.jpg  •  45KB

joe sanguinette
joe sanguinette
@joe-sanguinette
9 years ago
73 posts

i loved the "milagro beanfield war" filmed in and around taos new mexico.  spending a few days in the area should be on everyone's list

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

I love the color and design on the scorpion head, Charles.   All I could think about hearing of your Milgro charm was the "charming" smiler  film the Milagro Beanfield War .

Here is something different.  This is a document, probably about 20" x 14" that I have in a frame. The printed part reads "On the part of the King and of Monsieur the Intendant of Bordeaux" and goes on to explain that a nobleman wanted to start a weekly market every Monday and a fair the third Monday of every month. It asks whether anyone opposed those actions. OK, it's interesting enough that the French King would ask for public comment, since he could have simply granted or denied the request, but what I find interesting is the ceremony of information. In an age before newspapers or television, how did this news get out?  The handwritten part is a testimony dated "the year one thousand seven hundred fifty six and the 28th day of the month of March" and reads, "I, Pierre Dutil . . . testify to having read, cried, and published this announcement at the beginning of parish mass in the town of Julliac, on the main doors of whose church I posted this announcement so that no one can claim ignorance of it." And of course, the fact that the document dates from 1756 is pretty cool, too.  Maybe you'll see me on Antiques Road Show someday.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 10/13/15 12:20:01AM
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

This is a Milagro, a religious folk charm that is traditionally used for healing purposes in Mexico and Central America. Milagro means miracle in Spanish.

updated by @charles-thomas: 10/17/15 12:02:58AM
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

This is another Huichol Indian work. This jaguar head features scorpions (on the nose),an iguana (on the forehead),and peyote buttons (round symbols throughout) 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,123 posts

No rababas (or dulcimers) on my sailboat cabin walls.  Not much wall, either.  I do have my repel boarders arsenal (crossbow and BIG knife) within easy reach, copies of a couple articles about me, and the Heel-o-Meter clinometer. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Thanks, Bob. That's a funny video and much better rababa playing than the video I found (I suggest jumping to about 0:52):

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 10/06/15 03:51:22PM
Larn Werner
Larn Werner
@larn-werner
9 years ago
3 posts

That was really great! Thanks for sharing.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

What an interesting video, with all its scene changes, etc.  I really liked the piano playing of the invisible pianist at the beginning (whose touch was so light you couldn't even see the keys moving up and down!), but then was really surprised as the scene changed.

I also have a similar instrument, but haven't hung it on the wall.

yet.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Bob Reinsel
Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
9 years ago
80 posts

Dusty, I think you could figure it out!  

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

When my daughter was in pre-school I used to visit with a cart filled with instruments and entertain the kids. I played the ukulele, guitar, autoharp, mandolin, and dulcimer.  Her teacher was so taken with my ability to play these stringed instruments, that when my daughter "graduated" to kindergarten, she gave me this rababa as a present.  Her husband works building huge hotels in the Middle East, and he brought it back from there.  Somewhere along the trip he lost the bridge, so I just stuck on the bridge for a banjo mandolin. I have no idea how to play it, for you bow across a single string the tone of which you can change either by twisting a nob at the top or by pushing down on it with your finger. But I think it would be pretty hard to play Bile Dem Cabbage on this thing!  So instead of getting played, this piece just hangs on the wall in the living room.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 10/05/15 01:16:49PM
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

I'm surprised more people haven't posted on here, although, as I look around my house, I only have pictures and mirrors hanging on the walls.  Very boring!

In my college days, everything we would find on the floor we would tape to our wall near the door--now THAT was kind of interesting!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

This mask is from Guatemala, it was probably made for the tourist trade-the "patination"seems to be applied and on the inside there are no shiny spots were the nose or forehead would have rubbed.When she was a child my step daughter called it the "Bad Bunny".   

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,425 posts

The cross is really lovely, Charles.  It's neat you know what the various elements symbolize.  

updated by @robin-thompson: 10/27/15 09:18:53AM
Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
9 years ago
77 posts

This cross was decorated by Huichol Indians with very small beads affixed with a mixture of bees wax and pine sap. The red symbols are scorpions. The story is that if you are stung by a scorpion God is is sending you a message, if you die from the sting God wants to give you the message face to face. The circular symbols at the top are peyote buttons, which the Huichol use in their religious rites. 

updated by @charles-thomas: 08/03/23 02:21:49PM