What festival should I go to next summer (2016)?

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Are you and John "following" each other?  Locate his page (do a search under the Members tab at the top of the window) and when it comes up, click on the word "Follow".  You can then go to your profile (at the top of the page near the search icon) and click on "private messages" on the drop down menu.  Click on "New Message" and write John the message and if he accepts you as a follower you can write messages back and forth.  You could also just look up John's page and write him a note on it and maybe he'll get it....at least he'll probably be notified that someone wrote on his wall....  In the meantime, I'll put a bug in his ear that you're trying to connect about KMW...mail

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
8 years ago
28 posts

Finally made the decision - my sister and I will go to KMW!  Question, how can I contact a member on FOTMD? I am taking one of John Keane's classes at KMW and I have a question for him. I tried to figure out a way to message or email him through FOTMD but I can't figure it out!

Thanks, Jill

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
9 years ago
28 posts

Jan - it was so wonderful to meet you at Warren A May's in Berea last week! Thanks for your lovely playing and for the fellowship over lunch. I hope to get to KMW next year!

Jill

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

I'll second John's endorsement of the Homer Ledford festival in Winchester, KY on Labor Day weekend.  It's a small event but always has great instructors and the jams are a lot of fun.  It draws people from many states. 

Other weekend workshops/events/gatherings I've attended include:

• Kentucky Music Winter Weekend, held in Louisville, KY at a large hotel right off the expressway. In 2016 the dates are Jan. 8-10
  • Ohio Valley Gathering (aka OVG) held in my hometown of Lexington, KY.  It will be Feb. 26-28 in 2016.
  • Indiana Dulcimer Festival in Woodburn, IN at the Folkcraft factory  in Sept.
  • Great American Dulcimer Convention at Pine Mtn. State Resort Park in Pineville, KY near Cumberland Gap National Park. This is always the last weekend in September and will be celebrating its 40th year Sept. 2016.
  • The Raintree Music Heritage Weekend in Spiceland, IN in the late spring
  • Bluegrass Creek Dulcimer Festival near Evansville, IN

Of course, there are many more wonderful events held on weekends that I have NOT attended. Hopefully, we will all be informed about these on FOTMD.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

Jill Geary:
Thanks John, and Jan. All great information, and very much appreciated! I'm leaning toward KMW, primarily because I could drive there from my sister's in Berea (KY), and maybe treat her to some classes as well.

If you choose KMW, Karen and I will see you there as well!  There is a wonderful weekend festival (Homer Ledford Festival) right down the road from Berea (30 minutes or so) in Winchester, KY (Labor Day weekend).  Dana McCall hosts it and does a great job.

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
9 years ago
28 posts

Thanks John, and Jan. All great information, and very much appreciated! I'm leaning toward KMW, primarily because I could drive there from my sister's in Berea (KY), and maybe treat her to some classes as well. No matter where I go it's a bit of a challenge (air fare, rental car) - but I have such wonderful memories of my time at Dulcimer U (WCU) that I have to make it a priority to get to another festival!

Is KMW primarily dulcimers? From what I can find online it looks as if they cater to dulcimers, but also offer whistle, etc

Jill

p.s. BTW Jan, I'll be in Richmond/Berea about mid November. Hoping to bring my Ginger.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

In past years I've been to these week-long events:

Kentucky Music Week, in Bardstown, KY     6 times

Dulcimerville, in Black Mtn., North Carolina  2 times

DulcimerU, at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC    2 times

Swannanoah Gathering, Swannanoah, NC   1 time

Dulcimer Rendezvous (Road Scholar/Elderhostel Program) near Somerset, KY  2 times

John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC (learning the tunes of Jean Ritchie from Aubrey Atwater; a week with Janita Baker; Dulcimer Celebration '15)

• If I could only do one thing, I'd go to Kentucky Music Week. Sharing lodging brings the cost down considerably--as does camping.

• If I were by myself and cost was of prime importance and I could drive to southern KY, I'd go to Dulcimer Rendezvous for $599 for tuition, lodging and food.  The Road Scholar website makes Dulcimer Rendezvous sound like it's for beginners, but it's for all levels--Susan Trump has been teaching the advanced class the last few years.  This is a small event with less than 60 participants.

• Everything else considered, though, it is my desire to get back to John C. Campbell the next time I can work it out!  There is just nothing like a week spent at John C. Campbell Folk School!

I have also done "do-it-yourself workshops" at Wild Acres Retreat Center in the mtn. of NC. and at a bed n breakfast in the mtns. of NC.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

Jill Geary:
John K, I'm not familiar with your festival (but I am familiar with your music!).

Thanks Jill.  Arkladulcifest takes place in Benton, Arkansas (in the Little Rock area).  It is hosted by Linda Brockinton, Karen, and myself.  2015 was our inaugural event.  We are delighted that Richard Ash and Duane Porterfield are returning in 2016 as instructors and vendors as well.  We had several "east coasters" this year, so we would love to see the west represented as well. 

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
9 years ago
28 posts

Thanks Dusty! (I used to live in Alameda :-) I just might do that! Usually I'm busy with work/school in the beginning of May - but 2016 might be different. Taking the train would be fun!

J

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

Well perhaps as a warm-up to your week-long summer festival, you might take a weekend this spring and come up the coast to the Berkeley Dulcimer Gathering. I think it's the first weekend in May this year. You could probably take Amtrak and jam the whole ride up!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
9 years ago
28 posts

Hi  rob-n-lackey ,

Yes, I have David's/Butch's album. It's wonderful! The baroque period is my favorite - please arrange baroque for the MD and let me know! I know what you mean with Festivals - so many great teachers and options it can be overwhelming!

John K, I'm not familiar with your festival (but I am familiar with your music!). Thanks.

Jill

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
422 posts

If I had a week to devote to a festival, I believe it would be Kentucky Music Week.  The variety of workshops and instructors is my reason, although I don't know if I'd take more than 3.  I used to think if I wasn't involved every hour in some sort of workshop I wasn't doing it right.  Now I'm more selective and think I learn more or at least retain more. 

Classical mandolin, eh?  I'm arranging some baroque tunes for dulcimer.  Maybe I should write a mandolin part?  Have you heard David Schnaufer & Butch Baldassari's album "Appalachian Dulcimer & Mandolin?"  Just the 2 instruments in the hands of 2 modern masters.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
9 years ago
182 posts

Jill, we would love to see you at Arkladulcifest!  https://www.facebook.com/groups/arkladulcifest/

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
9 years ago
28 posts

Hi everyone,

I would like to start thinking and planning for a good MD festival next summer (2016). I'd appreciate your thoughts. I went to WCU to Larry and Elaine Conger's about 5 years ago - my first. Loved it! But it's really a challenge for me to get to WCU from San Diego! I have family in Kentucky - any thoughts on Kentucky Music Week? What about Swannona (sp)? I particularly enjoy Celtic and harp-like playing, but I'm also starting to learn Old Timey music on the MD as well. For what it's worth I have a background in bluegrass (mandolin) - and also play classical mandolin as well. But I'd like to focus on the MD this year and I probably can only get to one Festival.

Thanks for your help!

Jill Geary

San Diego