9 years ago
97 posts

some video's

Wout Blommers
Wout Blommers
@wout-blommers
9 years ago
97 posts

The are in a familie with the Indian Bulbul Tarang, wich is in the same lay out.

The keys stop the strings on a fret board underneath the hood by levers like on an old typewriter. You can find video's on YouTube.

updated by @wout-blommers: 12/12/15 04:49:24PM
John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
9 years ago
124 posts

A good buy! They go from about US$100 on up to about $300 here in Japan, depending on the quality and fancies. They are modestly popular among seniors and group lesson/players groups are fairly common. And that's just about everything I know about them.

Jim Yates
Jim Yates
@jim-yates
9 years ago
52 posts

I found these taisho kotos in a flea market in Georgetown, Ontario.  The bottom one had a price tag of $65 and when I went back to buy it for my friend Steafan, the seller said that I could have two for $100, so I just couldn't say no.  These are played by strumming the strings with a pick near the bridge and pressing keys to stop the strings on the fretboard below the cover.The white keys are se up like a dulcimer's frets and the black keys make it chromatic.  There are 4 melody strings tuned with three in the upper octave and one in the lower.  There is also a bass drone string.

It's sort of a cross between a dulcimer and a typewriter.

<div
display:none;>[quote Yates:

I found these taisho kotos in a flea market in Georgetown, Ontario.  The bottom one had a price tag of $65 and when I went back to buy it for my friend Steafan, the seller said that I could have two for $100, so I just couldn't say no.  These are played by strumming the strings with a pick near the bridge and pressing keys to stop the strings on the fretboard below the cover.The white keys are se up like a dulcimer's frets and the black keys make it chromatic.  There are 4 melody strings tuned with three in the upper octave and one in the lower.  There is also a bass drone string.

It's sort of a cross between a dulcimer and a typewriter.

kotos.jpg
kotos.jpg  •  128KB