Battery Powered Mini Acoustic Combo Amp - Suggestions

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

Bing Futch used one of these for small gigs.  Actually sounded pretty good, I thought.  Now, it's not a Fender Acoustisonic, but it don't cost as much either  LOL.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio2000S-AWP6040-Portable-Rechargeable-System/dp/B001DN6REG

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Thanks Ken. I think that's the one I'm going to get. Seems to be what I'm looking for and great reviews.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,081 posts

I haven't tried it, but if you don't need the stuff for electric guitar, keyboard, etc., that seems a good way to go. They appear to be identical expect for the amp modeling. Looks like a very nice unit to me.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Has anyone tried the Roland Mobile AC Acoustic (as opposed to the Moble Cube)? This one:

http://www.elderly.com/electronics/acoustic-amps-pickups/acoustic-amplifiers/roland-mobile-ac-acoustic-chorus-guitar-amplifier.htm

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Dusty, check out the Roland Mobile AC Acoustic (I put a link in my previous post....$129).I don't think I'd need the adjustments for keyboard, electric guitar, etc, that comes with the Mobile Cube. What do you think?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,724 posts

Get a Roland, as Ken, Skip, and Kristi suggest.  It's on my wish list, too. I had a chance to use one for a spell this summer and was really impressed.  The MicroCube sells for around $150 new and the bigger MobileCube for about $180.

I also have a Fishman Loudbox Mini that I love. I used to have one of the little Honeytone amps that Marg mentions.  It was fun for creating classic rock guitar sounds and stuff, but as Kristi says, it doesn't really have enough power if you want to play a small room. I ended up selling it to someone here at FOTMD for the price of shipping.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

There is a small mini amp - HONEYTONE - 9 volt battery or optional extra plug in. About $30.

Most music stores carry it or check it out on line.

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm really liking what I'm seeing with the Roland Mobile AC amp. 

http://www.elderly.com/electronics/acoustic-amps-pickups/acoustic-amplifiers/roland-mobile-ac-acoustic-chorus-guitar-amplifier.htm

Maybe I'll take a trip to Elderly with my dulcimer in hand and see how it does. Glad to hear the Rolands are well respected. They seem to get good reviews on-line.

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
8 years ago
84 posts

Far and away, I prefer the Roland battery products. They sound great and deliver excellent batter time. The Danelectro is barely ok to use walking around your house. Not what I could recommend except for the cute factor.

I also use the Fishman Loudbox mini and think it sounds great but for portability and battery operation the Rolands are the way to go. 

Skip
Skip
@skip
8 years ago
359 posts

The Roland Micro Cube and Orange Crush Micro are a bit smaller, size and power, and both have pretty good reviews. I've been considering them and the Danelectro Honeytone, a really inexpensive and small amp. I have a Crate 15 watt, but it is larger and, heavier, than your Mini.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,081 posts

Hi Susie. I don't have a battery powered amp, but I do have a Loudbox Mini. I'm not sure how much sound you are looking for from the amp. A 1 watt, 3 watt, or 5 watt battery powered amp will not give you the punch of the Mini. Having said that, I have heard good things from the Roland Mobile Cube. Here is a link describing it: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MobileCube One of my friends has one and uses it primarily in small groups of around 20 people in a room about the size of a typical school room.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini that I use with my instruments that works very well. However, sometimes there's a need for a very small amp that is battery powered. It wouldn't be for large venues, just to get some amplification, like in a small group. The ideal would be something that would also work with my guitars that have active pickups. My dulcimer has an internal soundboard passive pickup.

Does anyone use one of these mini acoustic combo amps that is battery powered? If so, what do you like/dislike? I'm thinking under $200 would be the price range I'm considering. 

updated by @susie: 07/31/23 09:17:00PM