Wayfaring Strangers

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,083 posts

Thanks for sharing that information Ken. I didn't check it as the book came as a gift. I think when I come to the point of replacing my Kindle, I'll get one that is in color. It will certainly help with the pictures. I have not used mine much lately. The few books I have that contain photos seem to have all the photos at the end of the books. Is that usual for e-books? Just wondering.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,124 posts

Nook and Kindle versions are available for $19.95.  I think the CD comes as an MP3 or similar media.  I have it on Interlibrary Loan request, but I'm tempted just to pop for the e-book.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,083 posts

Bob, that sounds like an excellent idea. Play the banjo! And, you're welcome.

Ken

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
8 years ago
252 posts

Play books has a 60 page free sample. I read most of it this evening. Very through to say the least. If anyone wants to know how all this great music came about this book is an excellent place to start. As for me after reading on a tiny phone screen I think I'll just rest my eyes and play some banjo. Thanks Ken.... Robert...

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,083 posts

I think you'll like it Robin. My only complaint is the layout. I dislike the little boxes that provide additional information which either break up the narrative if you stop to read them while you are on that page or force you to go back and read them all after you've finished the chapter.

Ken

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Always enjoyed Fiona's radio program, book sounds equally good

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,425 posts

Ken, I bought the book several months ago yet haven't gotten to it yet.  Looking forward to when life allows the chance to really enjoy it!  

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
8 years ago
252 posts

Fiona ought to know. Love her radio program... Robert...

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,083 posts

I just finished reading this book that I received as a Christmas present and am wondering if anyone else read it. If so, what do think about the book. For those who have not read it, here is the the complete title and other information: Wayfaring Strangers - The Musical Voyage from Scotland and Ulster to Appalachia by Fiona Ritchie and Doug Orr. It is not a book about dulcimers, but it does contain information about dulcimers. It is primarily a book about the people and their songs as the migrated from Scotland and Ireland to the New World. The book comes with a companion CD. I enjoyed reading the book and listening to the CD. The interviews with people who play the music provides wonderful insights into the songs and their meanings for them. The history is fascinating and covers Scotland, Ireland, and the United States. It also covers the evolution of the music into an American form. It is worth checking out from your local library if you haven't read it.

Ken

updated by @ken-longfield: 07/31/23 09:17:09PM