139 posts

Hmmm...not seeing it. 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
8 years ago
259 posts

Dan:
Gun Case This is what I have for my 36 inch.

Click on Dan's link embedded in "Gun Case" I missed it at first too. 

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Can someone include a link to the type of gun case you are referring to? thank you!

Dan
Dan
@dan
8 years ago
185 posts

Dusty, the 36 inch has been in that case for three years and with a hand rubbed finish has no problem with the foam. Like Ken said, some weapon finishes are more delicate than most contemporary (lacquer) dulcimer finishes.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Thanks, Ken.  I think I'm going to have to get one of those gun cases. 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,123 posts

The foam in gun cases does NOT damage the finish on rifle stocks and pistol grips -- more sensitive finishes, often, than are used on dulcimers.

Bubble wrap and shelf liner (that have been known to leave marks on dulcimers) are completely different kinds of plastic than the material used to make "foam rubber".

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Dan:
Gun Case This is what I have for my 36 inch.

Dan, that case looks really interesting since it would basically be a custom-fitted case for whatever dulcimer you have. And the price is cheaper than most hard shell cases around.

However, I am concerned about the foam padding staying in contact with the wood for such extended periods.  Have you had any problems in that regard?  I know bubble pack can very quickly leave a semi-permanent mark on dulcimer finishes.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Guy Babusek
Guy Babusek
@guy-babusek
8 years ago
96 posts

Craggy Mountain has some nice ones... and two sizes too. They are the only large cases that fit my baritone.

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Elderly has this one. They sell FolkRoots dulcimers too, so they could tell you how it fits. Been a customer of theirs since 1974, they are very helpful.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/cases-gigbags/dulcimer-cases-gigbags/canadian-dulcimer-case.htm

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

Check out Bill Berg's wooden hard cases..............at mountainmademusic.com.

David Pedersen
David Pedersen
@david-pedersen
8 years ago
32 posts

Great idea.

Dan
Dan
@dan
8 years ago
185 posts

Gun Case

This is what I have for my 36 inch.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 years ago
388 posts

There's always the lightweight fiberglass gun case route you could take. 

They're about the right size and shape, once you pad the inside to suit.

It's just that you might get some interested looks from airport security if you try to bring one on a plane...  Laugh

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Thanks!

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Give Folkcraft a call. You'll probably get Richard (the owner). They used to sell hardshell cases for their FolkRoots dulcimers. Not sure if they are anymore, because they now sell a really nice Deluxe Rigid Case. But, they may have some of the hardshell cases laying around. It might be worth a call. 

updated by @susie: 02/13/16 07:08:16PM
Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
8 years ago
134 posts

It would seem to me the closer fit your case is to the length of your instrument the less space for it to shift and bang around when being transported? blush

updated by @kusani: 02/13/16 05:45:11PM
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

I think I'd like to switch from my cushy padded case to a hard case. I've seen some on ebay and they tend to be 38 inches long. Any thoughts of what I should look for (or avoid) in choosing a hard case? I have a FolkRoots and McSpadden, both at 36" and a Gallier at 42". Thanks for your insight and input!