Music for Healing and Wholenes---Let's Emphasize the Dulcimer Therapy Forum once again.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Hi all,

This is a great subject! - but I feel strongly that it will be more accessible and will  benefit everyone in the future as well if it's located in our Dulcimer Therapy Group here: http://fotmd.com/strumelia/group/57/dulcimer-therapy

Unfortunately, I cannot move a discussion from a Forum to a Group, so I'm going to close this discussion to new replies and I'd like to ask SaltSprings to please create the discussion anew in the Dulcimer Therapy Group.  That way it won't just sink down into oblivion on the General Forum..instead it will be very easily found in the Therapy Group discussions, and will be very helpful to members in the future who are looking for this specific information!   thumbsup

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

I agree Dusty........I know you have been instrumental, pun intended, in that group.........the reason I thought we might stir this one up a bit is because I am finding that some of my PTSD folk can really get wrapped around the axle when certain songs are played or sung..........btw, feel free to move this discussion if you or Strumelia are so inclined.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

You might see what folks in the Music Therapy group have to say about this.

I would stick with instrumentals, myself.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

That's true Ken........I have had the same thing happen on more than once..........I also heard a nut job singing I'll fly away while another patient, a child was dying of cancer two beds down...........people are weird........I guess it makes all the difference in the world if we remember whose benefit we are playing for.........yup, harp music no thank you if I'm croaking.......go with "Wild Colonial Boy."

updated by @salt-springs: 04/11/16 11:19:57PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,123 posts

Surprisingly, I've playd both Old Joe and I'll Fly and any number of other "cheerful" tunes as part of a Music For Healing & Therapy program at a hospital near where I lived.  Folks in hospitals don't always (or often) want to hear dolorious music, they wanted to be lifted up and cheered up, not be drowned in saccrine-sweet angel harp music as if they're going to kick off any second.  I actually had a patient tell me that she liked my music so much better than the program director's harp music -- said she wasn't ready to go to heaven yet, thank you very much!

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

I think there is aspect to music that is sometimes overlooked and that is music's ability to provide a tremendous amount of spiritual ministry, if that is the correct phrase, to many people who are struggling with all sorts of difficulties.   Some of those issues might be related to physical infirmities, long term or chronic depression, grief over the loss of a loved one or any one of a multitude of issues.  As we all know, or at least should know, how a tune is played can have a significant effect on the hearer and it is important to match what we present to the circumstances our listeners or listener might find themselves in.........there are tunes that entertain, tunes that heal and tunes that can either make a situation better or worse.   I know in days gone by Mary Z.  & Lois H. had discussions about this on ED.  It was posted under Music in Service to Others".......there was wisdom in what they  discussed.   After all, who would want to play "I've Been a Wild Rover" or "I'll Fly Away" in a Hospice center.   Any thoughts on with regard to tempo, music choices?  Native flute players feel free to join in too.   I've used both dulcimers, Native Flutes etc. over the years and it might be good to share some ideas and experiences we have had when we focus on the listener and forget about ourselves.

updated by @salt-springs: 04/11/16 11:06:02PM