Richard Fariña -- 50th anniversary

Patricia Delich
Patricia Delich
@patricia-delich
8 years ago
152 posts

As of today, the clip of Richard and Mimi playing House Un-American Blues Activity Dream from Pete Seeger's Rainbow Quest is still on YouTube, for those who haven't heard it.

Fariña sure lit up my mind, as well as my heart. <3

alan kolman:

'house un-american blues activity dream' resonates to this day - if you don't know this song, you have to give it a listen. and 'been down so long it looks like up to me' was a must read back in the day - kerouac, ginsberg and farina lit up many minds. 50 years - man, i must be old.

Patricia Delich
Patricia Delich
@patricia-delich
8 years ago
152 posts

What a fun coincidence! I feel lucky that I discovered their music "back in the day." Richard and Mimi made magic with their music.

robert schuler:

Strange coincidence... Without thinking about the anniversary I spent yesterday and today listening to all their too few albums. I remember 1966 as a big year in pop music. But lacking in creative genius. R&M Farina were truely creative at a time when we needed it most. Which is why the radio never played their music... Robert...

alan kolman
alan kolman
@alan-kolman
8 years ago
5 posts

'house un-american blues activity dream' resonates to this day - if you don't know this song, you have to give it a listen. and 'been down so long it looks like up to me' was a must read back in the day - kerouac, ginsberg and farina lit up many minds. 50 years - man, i must be old.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
8 years ago
252 posts

Strange coincidence... Without thinking about the anniversary I spent yesterday and today listening to all their too few albums. I remember 1966 as a big year in pop music. But lacking in creative genius. R&M Farina were truely creative at a time when we needed it most. Which is why the radio never played their music... Robert...

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,726 posts

Thanks for reminding us all of this date, Patricia.

Folks who have listened to the Hearts of the Dulcimer podcast on Neal Hellman know that when he was still in New York he prepared a book of tablature of Richard Fariña's music.  A few year's back, he made that book available free online as a pdf.  You can read Neal's blog and download the pdf here .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 04/29/16 02:18:47PM
Patricia Delich
Patricia Delich
@patricia-delich
8 years ago
152 posts

April 30, 2016 is the 50 year remembrance of the late, great dulcimer player Richard Fariña. Richard died in a motorcycle accident in Carmel Valley, CA on his wife Mimi Fariña's 21st birthday. He left this world way too soon. Would you like to be part of this tribute to Richard? Here are a few ideas …

• If you knew Richard, post some of your memories of him.
  • If you didn’t know Richard, but he influenced you, share how his life, music, writing, dulcimer playing, etc., affected you.

We’re in touch with Richard’s Irish family who live in County Tyrone in Northern Ireland, where Richard's mother was born. We’ll send your well wishes, thoughts, etc. to Richard’s family. Their local church in Moortown will be announcing Richard’s anniversary this weekend at their mass services. Here are a few more ideas for you to be involved …

• Listen to some of the Fariña’s music. And/or play some of his music on your dulcimer.
  • Read some of Richard’s writing. His novel Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me is an underground classic.
  • Learn more about Richard and Mimi on Doug Cooke’s extensive website:  http://richardandmimi.com
  • Listen to the 2 part podcast episode about Richard:

Part 1:  http://dulcimuse.com/podcast/resource/004.html
Part 2:  http://dulcimuse.com/podcast/resource/005.html

Many thanks to those who contributed to the podcast episodes about Richard. There’s lots of great music in these episodes from Caroline Doctorow, Plainsong, Neal Hellman, Robert Force, and Jerry Rockwell. There are also interviews with members of Richard’s family, and dulcimer players who were influenced by Richard.

updated by @patricia-delich: 04/29/16 12:51:33PM