Hanging a dulcimer

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

(below the tuners and under the strings)

Didn't know under the strings - 

thanks for the extra details, I was wrapping an extra loop around a tuner to make sure the cord didn't slip off. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Yep -- Tie the cord around a flathead below the tuners and under the strings, of course.  On a scroll head you can tie around the knob or several other places.  Dusty's photos show you how.

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

The leather strap or cord we just keep looped or tied around the dulcimer?       

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,729 posts

There are fancy hangers out there, but as the Kens and Dan have explained, you just need a chord and a picture hanger. I just use leather boot laces that I bought at the hardware store.  If I spent a moment or two to even out the lengths and hide the knots, it would all look nicer, but since I pull them off the wall to play all the time, I don't normally worry about it.  Here are four on one wall in my office.  

Oh, and in case you can't tell, that's a picture of Pete Seeger's banjo head.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

I have sweet dulcimers not needing capital punishment  ;-)  - just looking for a way to hang or mount now that I am getting one more and need to make room/re-arrange and have all at the ready.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,090 posts

What did your dulcimer do that it deserves capital punishment? There are a variety of ways to hang a dulcimer for display depending upon what type of peg head you have. The leather/cord tie is one way. I have seen "holders" that are mounted to wall where the bottom of the dulcimer is in a cradle and the top between two dowel rods with a rubber band stitched across the face of the dulcimer to keep it from falling out. There are commercial dulcimer hangers available which are similar to most guitar hangers that you can mount on a wall. 

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dan
Dan
@dan
8 years ago
185 posts

I use leather strap as a lanyard. I buy it by the spool but you can also use leather boot lace.

HPIM1863-800.jpg
HPIM1863-800.jpg  •  75KB

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

A length of cord, tied around the scroll head and then tied in a loop 3" long or thereabouts is what I've used for years.  Then you can use any number of wall hooks -- screw eyes, cup hooks, picture hangers, etc to position the instrument the wall.  Interior walls not in direct sunlight only please...

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

What are some of the way you might hang a dulcimer? I am looking for a different way to hold my dulcimers and I am interested in how or what materials you use in holding your dulcimer, say on a wall without worry of slipping.