Looking for info on who made this dulcimer, any notions?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,255 posts

IRENE:

thanks sooo much for this info.  I went on line to see if they still sold these kinds of tuners.  nope.  

Irene, they do still sell them:

https://www.grotro.com/Grover/DULCIMER-TENOR-GUITAR-VIOLIN/Sta-Tite-Dulcimer-Pegs-Set-of-4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z9INO8/ref=s9_dcacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_1

https://reverb.com/item/1562675-grover-champion-sta-tite-dulcimer-banjo-pegs-set-of-4-rosewood-buttons-870br

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Grover+Pegs+for+Banjo+or+Dulcimer+Rosewood+Buttons+870BR

--Just be sure to get the  870BR model-  the R means the buttons are rosewood.  They come also with black plastic buttons which are a little cheaper- the plastic ones don't have the BR after the model number.  The metal parts are silver colored, as I believe they've always been.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

thanks sooo much for this info.  I went on line to see if they still sold these kinds of tuners.  nope.  but would like to see what you have FOR SURE.  We'll communicate some more on this.  aloha, irene

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,255 posts

I'd love to see a followup photo of this dulcimer after you've put on wooden tuning pegs and fixed it all up, George.  It's sweet!  nod

--
Site Owner

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

Hi Irene,

I would not ask very much, they seem to be working just fine, all I had to do was tighten the screw at the top of the wood button on each was all.

I have ordered a set of ebony friction pegs for it, when they arrive and I've switched them out I'll let you know.

I will send you the other pegs up front so you can check them out "in hand" before paying for them just so you can be sure they are in working order.

i'll keep you posted, should be about midweek before the others arrive.

I also had an older McSpadden with these same tuners, other than needing to tighten the top screw every now and then, never had an issue with them.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,255 posts

Yes i had a dulcimer once with those same Grover pegs...it was probably my McSpadden which I gave to my daughter long ago.  As I recall one of them broke on me early on and I had to replace it.  They were not very expensive when sold new.  I would hesitate to pay a lot for used ones, as they might fail.

--
Site Owner

joe sanguinette
joe sanguinette
@joe-sanguinette
8 years ago
73 posts

these are typical grover tuners.  back in the day mc spadden had them make these with the rosewood buttons.  later on grover

shipped me a quantity of tuners with the rosewood buttons.  they may still make them.....its worth a try

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

I WOULD be interested in those lovely pegs....if not too much...and if they still work.  thanks. 

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

hummmmm, wooden pegs.  two of the dulcimers that I rescued had hand carved, (not so good) wooden pegs and they were terrible to fine tune.  gerrrrrrr. so I replaced them with banjo tuners and like these A LOT!! I do see those other little holes and most likely they were wooden pegs. but these banjo pegs are lovely with the wooden part on the ends and using the metal parts to do the turning.   There IS someone that sells the wooden part for ONE...I think he said for $30.00 each.  that's a little steep. but sure looked better then the white plastic.  I've seen some yellow plastic (old looking ones) that looked lovely.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,255 posts

I'm thinking those geared tuning pegs were a later modification, and that it may have originally had wooden pegs. Note the additional now-unused holes for where the wooden peghead ends would have protruded.

A photo of the label inside would be very helpful- others can often decipher murky writing that one person can't.

--
Site Owner

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

that is a great treasure....and LOVELY TUNING PEG...I'd love to find a place that sold such nice looking ones like that!!  I was looking at a dulcimer on ebay last night said it was "not in working order"...but the tuning pegs were worth the $49.00 he was asking for.  When I looked at that site this morning...."SOLD". OH WELL. It's fun to rescue beautifully made dulcimers.  I do however, love a movable bridge.  many of the older dulcimers have a slot for the bridge to go in and it makes it do the bridge can't be moved for fine tuning.  aloha, irene

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
400 posts

Sounds like a real treasure, George!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

Hi Rob Lackey, I did pick that dulcimer up, needed some serious cleaning, those tuners were seriously loose, the dust build up tells me this hadn't had a finger laid on it in years. Cleaned up great, I wasn't sure what to expect as far as it not having a strum hollow as all my others do, but it's got a real nice mellow voice. It holds a tuning great, no fret buzz and intonation seems to be right on the money.

It was made in 1989 in Statesville NC, is personalized on the inside label to, "my friend Louis, Some type of makers mark, then just "Red".

All solid woods, and above average workmanship. 

Not disappointed, just wanted to pass that along, and thanks as always for your feedback.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

George, I was looking at that one, too.  I have no idea who made it, but it looks like it might be a pretty one.

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

Looking at this one, looks older, seems to be in good shape with the usual TLC needed. I'm trying to figure out who may have made it, just seeing if any of you may recognize it.

All that can be seen as far as makers mark inside is, APR Red St _______

Any educated guesses, here are a few photos. Thanks, just my curiosity going.

Also what anyone may know about A. W. Jeffreys  I'm watching a few online auctions. Thanks as always!  George

1.jpg
1.jpg  •  115KB

2.jpg
2.jpg  •  243KB

3.jpg
3.jpg  •  225KB