Bob Lazenby Dulcimer, Pigeon Forge, TN

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

Thanks everyone. I'll consider leaving the frets as is. There's a luthier at Elderly Instruments who does any work I need done on my dulcimers. I'm going to have him look it all over and do whatever set-up it needs. The action needs to be adressed, probably frets leveled, and likely a new nut and bridge. Definitely needs new strings. It's intonation is really good, and it has a really nice voice. The body size is similar to a McSpadden, but it's voice is loud and clear. A warmer tone, with the all walnut body. It's birthdate is March 28, 1987. Definitely a cool dulcimer. Nicely made. A really nice gift from an old friend.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

My undersstanding is tha Lazenby dulcimers are becoming quite collectable.  Like the others I recommend leaving the fret set up alone.

Bob retired somewhere around 2005 and closed his shop shortly after.  I haven't been able to find an obit though

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
8 years ago
231 posts

After looking at the picture it just may be Equal Temp but pictures can be deceiving. 

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
8 years ago
231 posts

I agree with Rob as well. You might want to check its intonation. It may not be Equal Temperament. It might be in Just Intonation. I would definitely check that out before you start adding frets. If you already have dulcimers with the extra frets I would suggest you leave this one just exactly as is other than changing strings. 

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
8 years ago
155 posts

I agree with Rob about adding frets.  I've heard of the Lazenby dulcimers but had never seen a photo of one until today.  IMHO, adding frets would reduce the intrinsic value of the instrument.  It is truly a beautiful dulcimer.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
422 posts

I don't want to sound like a Luddite or curmudgeon but I wouldn't have any frets added to that beautiful instrument.    Since, as you said, your other dulcimers have the "extra" frets, maybe you could keep this one intact to play in a more traditional manner?  Were it a McSpadden or a Folkcraft I might not suggest this, but it's nice to an individual maker's work kept as he intended.

Susie
Susie
@susie
8 years ago
500 posts

I posted this on Everything Dulcimer, but got no responses. Maybe someone here might want to share some information.

Long story short.....a childhood friend (who I've only recently reconnected with via Facebook) has very generously gifted me a mountain dulcimer that was owned by her grandma. My friend received the dulcimer when her grandma died in the late 80's. Nobody in her family plays, so she wanted me to have and play it. It comes from Pigeon River Stringed Instruments, Bob and Anne Lazenby. 

I've found out a little through the internet, but would like know if anyone knows about the maker and the dulcimer (quality, etc.). I noticed Bob was a member on ED, but only made 4 posts and hadn't posted since 2012 ("Bob L"). I haven't received it yet (getting it today), but it sure looks beautiful. I'm planning on a complete professional set-up, after I receive it, and will add some extra frets to have it like my other dulcimers (6 1/2 and 1 1/2 for sure).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'll give a full report, once I receive it.