If you could only keep ONE of your dulcimers....

folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
I can agree with you completely. It's like trying to pick your favorite child. Kendra Ward said:
Ohhhh noooooo! Strumelia! This is toooooo hard! :-(

I could never choose. I would have to have someone else choose for me and just go with that. Does anyone want to volunteer? We could make it a game-I could give you all the pro's of all of them and you decide! :-)

Sorry I can't make up my mind? ? ? ? ? ? ? . . . . . . . . haha (what mind I do have!)

There are a few that I guess I could give up, but can we rephrase the question as to which 10-20-30 instruments would you keep? Oh, Strumelia . . . . . . . . . . .
Kendra Ward
Kendra Ward
@kendra-ward
14 years ago
10 posts
Ohhhh noooooo! Strumelia! This is toooooo hard! :-(I could never choose. I would have to have someone else choose for me and just go with that. Does anyone want to volunteer? We could make it a game-I could give you all the pro's of all of them and you decide! :-)Sorry I can't make up my mind? ? ? ? ? ? ? . . . . . . . . haha (what mind I do have!)There are a few that I guess I could give up, but can we rephrase the question as to which 10-20-30 instruments would you keep? Oh, Strumelia . . . . . . . . . . .
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,111 posts
Allen; Lots of local builders around the country were (and still are somewhat) known in one or a couple counties and that was about it. The Internet has radically changed the way we think about information distribution; and that's just the last 20 years. Prior to that unless you wrote and published books or magazine articles there was no other way to share.
Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
14 years ago
62 posts
Hey--I just can't play this game--the idea of one lonely dulcimer hanging on the wall is sooooooooosurreal--it would give me the heebie jeebies to imagine it. :)

Even my bassets arrive in twos. :)
Michael Vickey
Michael Vickey
@michael-vickey
14 years ago
28 posts
Mary Z. Cox said:
Michael,
This is a very awesome dulcimer--I've heard it and played it. Since you are only keeping one of your Dorogis--maybe I could have your second best? :)
love,
Mary Z
ps. See you on Saturday. :)
Mary,You are the ONLY other person who has played my D Dorogi.I just found a "T" model Dorogi and it will be waiting for me when I return home.Which of your dulcimers would you keep if you had only one? My guess is a K Simerman.Michael Vickey www.goodfornuthin.com
Flint Hill
Flint Hill
@flint-hill
14 years ago
62 posts
I find myself really wanting one of Keith Young's early Virginia dulcimers. Glad to hear that you like yours. Do you have any recordings of it online, or know of any? Paul Elliot Bostick said:
That would be my 1800 retro dulcimer my Keith Young. Great sound, great story behind it, and I could still play at the history events!
Mary Z. Cox
Mary Z. Cox
@mary-z-cox
14 years ago
62 posts
Michael,This is a very awesome dulcimer--I've heard it and played it. Since you are only keeping one of your Dorogis--maybe I could have your second best? :)love,Mary Zps. See you on Saturday. :) Michael Vickey said:
If I could keep only one mountain dulcimer, I would keep my Dorogi D Model dulcimer. Built by Chautauqua County, NY luthier Dennis Dorogi. The D Model is a one-of-a-kind. Incredible sound, perfect intonation and a beautiful wood sculpture.

I have several Dorogi dulcimers - all exhibit fine craftsmanship and all are built to Mr Dorogi's exacting standards.

Michael Vickey
www.goodfornuthin.com
Stephanie Stuckwisch
Stephanie Stuckwisch
@stephanie-stuckwisch
14 years ago
45 posts
Whoo boy! All I can think of Sophie's Choice. It didn't have a happy ending.If I had to choose it would be my newest Blue Lion. It's beautiful and easier to tune that my old Edd Presnell.I'm going to have nightmares about this.
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
I couldn't do it. I have 14 instruments that I could possibly narrow down to say 10, but no more than that could I let go. I could give up a Berg, and a Folkroots, and a couple that Dave has made but weren't made for me to my specific requests.I have a few of Dave's very first instruments which are precious to me in that I watched him develop his talents and design skills while making them. I couldn't give them up.One dulcimer, almost a limited edition Sweet Woods Instrument, is a courting box dulcimer that has a lid that Dave wood burned with vines and Irish knot work. He made very few of this style of boxed instrument. He's done TMB's both in an historical reproduction style and of a modern variety. But the box I have is totally different. Couldn't give it up.How could I give up the one's he's made based on my request for a particular tone or voice. Nah, nope.And then there are the 3 I've made.. Once which even got Don Pedi's approval as well as Steve Eulberg's. Can't do it.It's easier to answer which ONE could I live without, that would be easier. Sorry :-(
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,111 posts
Vintage or Modern? Modern or Vintage?Guess I'd have to keep the Modern dulcimer in my Avatar - made by Nic Hambas of New York. It's been more than half way around the world with me and played at LOT of music!...but my vintage 3 string is pretty sweet too....
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,415 posts

Blue Lion Jean Ritchie modelspruce top, walnut back & sidesGot this dulcimer from a woman named Meghan in Berkeley CA who'd custom ordered it from the Bakers at Blue Lion. The spruce top-- it's Sitka spruce, I think-- was from wood Meghan's brother had had for 20 years. This dulcimer has none of the inlay that's typically on the Jean Ritchie model. I tried to get a decent photo of Jean's signature on the label that's inside the sound hole but got none that turned out well.It was hard to choose the one dulcimer I'd keep. One reason I chose this instrument is it's got a VSL short enough to accommodate a variety of tunings-- I like to change tunings! She plays smoothly and has good sound. Perhaps the main reason I chose it, though, is that it's a Jean Ritchie model-- I'm a big fan of hers!
John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
14 years ago
60 posts
My keeper would have to be my Arthur Robb mahogany and alpine spruce 3-string hourglass, made in 1981 - the one I am holding in my avatar picture. It was the first really good dulcimer I bought. I asked Arthur for a responsive instrument in which the one treble string would really sing out against the lower strings, and he really provided that! It was his idea to use alpine spruce (as in classical guitars, lutes etc.) for the top, which is rather frighteningly thin. (The mahogany back is very thin too.) Over the years it's been the one I play the most, and has been the most responsive to a variety of playing styles. It would be a wrench to be without the others, but if I was only allowed one this would have to be it.
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
14 years ago
258 posts
I would keep my battered old Cherry and Cedar teardrop, I made it it 1986, it is responsive and tolerant of my playing (makes it sound better than than it is!) I have also had the pleasure of hearing it played by many people over the years, some of whom put there name on it at my request , including:-My great-grandson Josh, and my son Paul; among others can be seen John Shaw, Roger Nicholson, Liz Law, Maddie MacNeil, Butch Ross, Lorraine Lee Hammond, and Jean Richie. In effect it tracks most of my dulcimer life, so it has to be the one I keep!!!JohnH
CD
CD
@cd
14 years ago
61 posts
Choices 1-2-3-4-5 are gone! Of what is left probably my electric chromatic practice board. I never listed it for sale. Compact and easy to take anywhere. Gary Sager did a great job on that one. He is quite a craftsman!
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
14 years ago
109 posts
wow... only one... you sure I can't have 2.. if I had to I would keep my Cedar Creek Walnut Classic.. these has always been my old faithful go to dulcimer.. it has a blood wood top with walnut side and bottom..

but a close 2nd would be my HX Dulcimer that I bought that is named for my Dad...
Michael Vickey
Michael Vickey
@michael-vickey
14 years ago
28 posts
If I could keep only one mountain dulcimer, I would keep my Dorogi D Model dulcimer. Built by Chautauqua County, NY luthier Dennis Dorogi. The D Model is a one-of-a-kind. Incredible sound, perfect intonation and a beautiful wood sculpture.

I have several Dorogi dulcimers - all exhibit fine craftsmanship and all are built to Mr Dorogi's exacting standards.Michael Vickey www.goodfornuthin.com
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,246 posts
If you could only keep one of the dulcimers you own as the only dulcimer you'll have for the rest of your life, which of your dulcimers would you choose, and WHY?
(people with only one dulcimer can still tell us why they chose it) ;)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 08/03/23 02:30:13PM