Back up rhythm devices

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

BlackDog, seems the foot stomper would be easy to come up with on your own, it is a good idea. Lisa I do like the tambo on the shoe thing too. gangnam1

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
8 years ago
259 posts

Lisa, You may have invented a new shoe style. winker  But seriously, this is a neat idea. I wish I had saved all the little percussion "toys" from when my boys were little...

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

I really want to learn how to beat out rhythm on my dulcimer while playing....

Black Dog Bess
Black Dog Bess
@black-dog-bess
8 years ago
18 posts

This is more expensive but leave it to the cigar box guitarists to come up with something interesting! On the C.B. Gitty site there is info and a You Tube video of  their spokesman stomping it out. https://www.cbgitty.com/cigar-box-guitars/shane-speal-foot-stomper-active-foot-percussion-instrument-standard-model-1/

If nothing else, it may serve as inspiration. Barb

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

That is just "too cute"!!!  Love it!

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

http://fotmd.com/martin-oesterle/youtube/1811/duo-dulcimus-burggrabenfest-nrnberg-2015-dulcimer-und-djembe

One of our members here on FOTMD has some fun ways to provide percussion. Check  him out you may get a lots of ideas and he and his pal are really enjoyable to watch. Enjoy!

I really like the idea of stringing bells to your shoes.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,248 posts

I use two different foot rhythm devices- both are 'low tech' though:

I made an ankle percussion strap that closes with Velcro. I sewed various rattling/jangling things on it.  When I tap my foot with my heel, it works well but obviously does not sound like a drum, more like rattles.  But when combined with the stomp of a hard heel on my shoe, it works nicely.  This doesn't work as well if you are a toe-tapper rather than a heel tapper.

Same thing with putting a tambourine under my foot-  I put the tambo on the floor with the skin side down.  Then I put my toe into it and that lets my heel rest on the rim edge that's nearest me.  I then tap my heel down on the tambo rim and that creates the rhythm.  There's a percussive quality if you use your heel assertively.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,073 posts

Paula, I have not used any of these devices. You can do a search for drum machines which are devices that create drum sounds/rhythms and are connected to amplifiers. Usually they come in the form of pedals. Looking at stores like Elderly Instruments or Sweetwater, you can find many options. Another way of doing it, I think, is by using an iPad/tablet or computer or phone, with some app on it that produces rhythms. I think the latest Dulcimer Geek podcast at DPN talks about pedals for use with dulcimers. Check it out at the Dulcimer Players News website. Sequencers and samplers may also produce rhythms for accompaniment.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

They are generically called Rhythm Boxes, and run from $60 up.  Some have an optional foot pedal.  Korg (the same folk who make electronic tuning devices) makes several versions.

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

A lot of professional musicians have something that provides rhythm... drums sounds etc.   They use  Some sorts of pedals and whatever... Can anyone enlighten me on what you need to provide rhythm?   Are they using a keyboard that is programmed to provide rhythm?  but I do see them using a pedal...   I am totally lost on this one!

what do they use?