String that rings

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

A toothpick, I can do that. I have already changed the strings back to the size that came with the dulcimer, I had gone from a 14 to an 11 so I could tune higher. I am back to DAdd & the 14 for an A, for a performance . The next time I want to go up to key of F or G (The tuning I did for 'This is My Father's World' - with chopstick as a hammer and a wine stopper as a noter ;-) will give all these ideas a try. I have several slots and only when I changed to one of the extra slots did the string ring. 

Below is the ring, prepare for horrible: 

Thanks so much,

m.

https://youtu.be/yj_pi8tjAzk

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

BTW, Marge you can also use a flat toothpick to keep that string from flopping a bit in the slot.  Just loosen that string and put the flat side against the string and down in the slot and tighten it.  If it is too thick a bit of sand paper will thin the toothpick down.  I should have also said, with regard to the red tube on the wd40 can, you can take a razor blade and carefully split it so as to slide it on the string and down into the slot.  If it is too stiff warm it up and soften it a bit or roll it or stretch it and then go for it.    If it is too thick, the sand paper trick should make it workable if you mess with it a bit.

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Oh my, great fix idea for a loose sting in a slot. 

Thanks 

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

I had that problem and used the red tube off a wd40 can..........the string fit fine and it tightened up properly.

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
8 years ago
86 posts

A good music store would have the thin tubing that is used on some violin string and other instruments. The string goes through the tube and the tube sits in the notch on the saddle or nut.  Has worked for me when not wanting to fill and recut.

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

ken,

Just so I will know, what would be your ' temporary' fix?  

I will probably want to try another tuning at some point and could be back to string problems. I know about putting something in the slot, is there additional find

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

ken,

I was trying to tune higher from middle string A up to c or d (Fcff or Gdgg) I couldn't turn the 14 that high but the string gage said could do 11. But I think the slot was not meant for an 11, so I changed back to 14 and retuned back to DAdd.

I guess the way I learn the dulcimer is by trying and doing and then re-doing. I had tried putting a bit of paper in the slot but the string still had a ring so just decided to go back to what this dulcimer was design for, a 14. I wasn't ready to fill and recut a slot. 

Thanks, all fixed for now was just trying and learning

m.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,082 posts

Not sure what you mean by "ringing," Marg. If you had a .014 in before and went to a .011, I am sure the string is moving in the slot as you strum it. Do you want a permanent fix or temporary? String choices vary buy the vibrating string string length and note you want to tune the string to. The choice of .011 seems light if you are tuning to the standard A note used on dulcimers. Let me know which one you want to do and I will try to explain it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

I have a middle string that rings. Could it be too thin of a string for that slot? I change from a 14 to 11. If it's moving in the slot, do I put something in the slot with it, or go back to the 14 size string and don't try tuning so high?

thanks