Does anyone think this is an Edd Presnell dulcimer?

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 years ago
385 posts

'Twould seem to me that if it IS a real Presnell dulcimer, it would not be anonymous, but have a label inside it to identify things.  The Presnells usually marked their products, didn't they?  And one might check with The Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Brevard, NC.  They're still in business, and have a craft/gift shop as well.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

I do agree with the note where it says "wormy chestnut".  

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
8 years ago
86 posts

I would say not Edd, but, could be another Presnell. Dan ask his grand daughter on FB  she worked with him she may have some insight.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 years ago
385 posts

Looks to be in the style of Gatlinburg's Bill Davis or Townsend's Mike Clemmer.  Maybe Baxter Presnell made one like this?

Or another Presnell altogether.  There's lots of them in that part of North Carolina.  Also lots of Hicks', Harmons, Glenns, etc.

Dan
Dan
@dan
8 years ago
180 posts

The design is very close to the Tennessee models. (Bill Davis for one) Looks close to a Milford Blevins piece? And there were more than one Presnell making instruments. I will double check the pieces we have in the morning.

updated by @dan: 09/19/16 08:46:59PM
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
422 posts

I don't believe it is.  Never saw one of his like that.  If there's no label, I'd say it's not a Presnell, at least not an Edd Presnell.

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

That is the question, being told they think it's an Edd Presnell, but from what I've been seeing, Presnell dulcimers look to be hour glass shape, this is that fiddleside type.

To me it looks much more like a Bill Davis, but it doesn't have the edge that sticks out over the side, (Can't recall what that's called), like Davis's others, also there is no signature inside or engraved on the back like his others.

The only thing they are basing the Presnell call on it, is a business card they found with it, see photos.

Any opinion?? 

Thanks folks!!

aa.jpg
aa.jpg  •  94KB

bb.jpg
bb.jpg  •  221KB

cc.jpg
cc.jpg  •  265KB

dd.jpg
dd.jpg  •  243KB

ee.jpg
ee.jpg  •  211KB