Poetry celebrating the beautiful music of the Mt. Dulcimer

John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
7 years ago
50 posts

Thanks everyone for your kind responses. Your are wonderful and supportive community.   John

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
7 years ago
1,083 posts

Thanks for sharing that poem John.It is beautiful. I'm adding it to my collection of dulcimer related literature.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
7 years ago
64 posts

Very nice poem.  By looking at the lines carefully due to the spacing, I could read the poem which gives a sense of time and space that I think was intended with this particular poem and its form.  They are often hard to duplicate in certain venues; especially, a place like Facebook is really difficult as I have put poems on there from poets who were having a birthday and the poems never duplicate very well in the form for which it was written and intended.  

But alas, it is poetry and it should be written, read, and heard.  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,727 posts

That's wonderful, John!  Thanks so much for sharing that.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,123 posts

I dunno, John, I kinda like the first version with the oddly spaced lines...  reminds me of some Nordic verse I've seen.

updated by @ken-hulme: 04/03/17 03:17:56PM
John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
7 years ago
50 posts

The poem should read as follows:

"Dulcimer Days"  

There is no storm

When the dulcimer sings.

Hatred and hurricanes

Wait in the wings.

The gentle song

Of the dulcimer strings

Is the unspoiled paasion

Of everything 

John W. McKinstry
John W. McKinstry
@john-w-mckinstry
7 years ago
50 posts

A friend of mine, Val Coleman, of Sandisfield, MA. wrote a beautiful poem after listening to our "Sweet Strings" dulcimer group.          I wish to share this tribute to the sweet music of the Mt. Dulcimer with all of you.              

"Dulcimer Days"

There is no storm                                                                                                                                                                       When the dulcimer sings.                                                                                                                                                             Hatred and hurricanes                                                                                                                                                                 Wait in the wings.

The gentle song                                                                                                                                                                         Of the dulcimer strings                                                                                                                                                               Is the unspoiled passion                                                                                                                                                           Of everything.

updated by @john-w-mckinstry: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM