seagull soundholes

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,113 posts

Yeah -- CC did make a series of kits with pre-cut soundholes, and that may indeed be what you encountered

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

This didn't go from my phone to here, so trying again:

Ken

I don't need to tell you, dulcimers can look better on line then in person. I went to see it with a friend, I was helping her. If it was a 'cripple creek' kit it was made terribly. I told her, she did not want it. Too many problems & where some could be fixed in the end it would still be poorly made.

I did enjoy checking out the videos & story of Jonathan Livingston, I had forgotten about the seagull.

So all was not lost, thank you. Always lots of info to be learned on this journey.

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

Thanks john,

I saw a video of Ben Seymour, a member here, who repaired a 'Richard and Denise Wilson' dulcimer & said if anyone had info on them he wouldn't mind hearing from them. 

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
7 years ago
386 posts

Another possibility would be Richard and Denise Wilson of Manitou Beach, MI.

They did a variety of soundhole shapes and inlay work, including seagulls.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,113 posts

Just saw a picture of someone who bought a "seagull" dulcimer that had the Cripple Creek label inside.  I'd say that' what you have...

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,113 posts

Ah!  You waned to which Maker used that seagull shape!  Now it's clear.  You may be right; I do seem to remember the Ford's using a seagull on some of their dulcimers...

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

it has an overall look of a older cripple creek but they usually had leaves as sound holes. It doesn't have a 6/+

looks to be walnut, same type of head & body size.

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts
Neil Diamond has a few nice videos of the seagulls.
Not sure what builder did this but if it was done because of 'Jonathan livingston', that would be pretty nice
marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts
Thanks Ken but I was hoping someone would recognize who has used these seagulls. The dulcimer I understand has lost it's label & trying to see if we could make a guess as to who made the dulcimer
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,113 posts

No special "dulcimer name" for any dulcimer soundholes that I know of ('f-holes' have been called that by violin folks for hundreds of years);  unless the builder called these "Jonathan Livingstons".  

'Seagull' sounds good to me.

updated by @ken-hulme: 07/27/17 06:47:56AM
Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
7 years ago
155 posts

The dulcimer maker would know.

marg
@marg
7 years ago
615 posts

Anyone know maybe the dulcimer name for a fat, straight, no feather cuts seagull soundholes?

seagull birds.png
seagull birds.png  •  398KB