A Couple McSpadden Questions

Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts
Never mind. I'm all set. Thanks again, Richard and Dusty.
Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts
Another question:

Has anyone gotten a McSpadden with the 26" VSL? If so, what are your thoughts on it (does affect volume or sustain)?
Thanks.
updated by @susie: 02/18/18 08:39:16PM
Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts

Hey, thanks guys, for your replies. That helps a lot. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,727 posts

Susie, Richard is describing the dimensions of the standard dulcimer that McSpadden has sold for years.  However, a couple of years ago they began making another one with a shorter VSL.  I think it's 26" instead of 28.5".  If you play noter/drone, the longer VSL is fine. But some people who play chords prefer a shorter VSL because it's easier to finger some chords (although you lose some sustain in the process).

Micarta is a synthetic material that is used in place of ebony or rosewood.  Since legal ebony is getting harder to find (and therefore more expensive) some guitars and other instruments are now made with micarta fretboards and bridges.  I've read that it is as hard as ebony, but I don't know what it feels like to play.  If you search the internet you'll find some high-end Martin guitars with micarta fretboards, so it must be pretty good.

One interesting note: since Micarta is synthetic, it can be colored.  Most of the time it is black so that it looks like Ebony (though it probably doesn't have wood grain). But theoretically, it could be any color. Imagine a dulcimer with a hot pink fretboard!shocked

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
234 posts

Susie,

Length overall      36"
Width lower bout  7"
Width upper bout   5.5"
VSL   28.75"
Depth of body including top and back     1.75"
Width of fretboard    1.5"

Hope that helps. Perhaps you'll get a response for a newer instrument in case the measurements have changed in the intervening years.

I have no experience with the micarta overlay.

Richard

Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts

I have a couple questions regarding McSpadden dulcimers:

1. What is the overall length of a McSpadden dulcimer (I can't seem to find the dimensions on their website)?

2. I noticed on their website that a Micarta fretboard is an option. Has anyone ordered a McSpadden with the Micarta fretboard option and how does this compare to the Ebony fretboard option (I have had an ebony fretboard before, so I don't need information on that, just on the micarta)?

Thank you for your help.