David Schnaufer "Hex" dulcimer

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
420 posts

I guess someone didn't pay the omeka.net bill.  Shame.  Pretty good pics of some interesting instruments.

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
6 years ago
65 posts
Right, but as you explore the Vanderbilt site, it has several links to the Omeka site... But everytime you follow the link, it shows a message about it no longer existing. Sadly, not only did this site show his collections, but also had little recordings of what most of the dulcimer's unique sound. Since Omeka is a site building platform, I guess I should contact whoever is over the collection at Vanderbilt...
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,126 posts

The instruments themselves are in the Tennessee State Museum.  Vanderbuilt Univ. has The David Schnaufer Collection of his research and instrument database:

"Initially conceived by David Schnaufer, the database was designed as a "sound museum," exhibiting playable song clips played on historic handmade dulcimers alongside his research and documentation (gathered with Sandy Conaster) of historical dulcimers including photos, dimensions, dates where known, and other provenance information."

Stewart McCormick
Stewart McCormick
@stewart-mccormick
6 years ago
65 posts
Hello all! I used to visit a site that hosted information in regards to the late Mr.Schnaufer's collection. Including one piece in particular he called the "Hex" dulcimer... I can no longer get onto the site (Omeka?), would anyone have any information, specifically on dimensions of this piece? Thanks in advance!!
download.jpeg
download.jpeg  •  10KB