Choose just ONE song for all eternity...

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 years ago
244 posts

@steven-berger, we are kindred spirits.  I love that song so much!  You'll hafta weigh in also on "A Man's A Man For A' That"....

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
5 years ago
143 posts

"Hard Times, Come Again No More" by Stephen Foster, especially the last verse. This song means quite a lot to me.

Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts
Leaving Lismore for me.
Onemom22boys
Onemom22boys
@onemom22boys
5 years ago
2 posts

Okay,  I am really late coming in on this, but I would choose "Wayfaring Stranger."  My granddaddy used to sing that when was a little girl, so it is pretty special

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 years ago
244 posts

NO!  LOL!

Marsha Elliott
Marsha Elliott
@marsha-elliott
6 years ago
8 posts

I would have to say "Come By the Hills". It's an Irish traditional tune that I first heard played by Celtic Thunder on one of their CDs. I think because I live in the mountains that it really speaks to me.

But I also LOVE "River" too that several of you mentioned. Put the two together and you would need a whole box of tissues to handle the tears.

updated by @marsha-elliott: 07/31/18 02:56:46PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,081 posts

After a great deal of agonizing, a lot of playing, and careful consideration, I finally chose my song. It is Bob Franke's "Alleluia, The Great Storm Is Over." I have not been able to get it out of my head since my first post in this discussion. 

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

notsothoreau
@notsothoreau
6 years ago
37 posts

I'm really infatuated with Southwind right now. Still working on playing it.

Norman Arrington
Norman Arrington
@norman-arrington
6 years ago
4 posts

The selections picked speak well of the poster's taste and convictions.  Seems we need to find a folk hymn based on an irish air. I do love "Be Thou My Vision."

Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
6 years ago
18 posts

[quote="Ken Hulme"]

Glenda -- that's a really different tune for Going Home.  Had never heard it, but I like it. 

The one I'm familiar with (and play) is based on The Largo from Dvorak's From The New World symphony,with words by William Arms Fisher in 1921.  The English boy choir Libera has an outstanding version on YouTube.  I don't have the high sweet tenor voice, but do a passable baritone version.  

Yes that's one of my favorites too Ken. That's why I mentioned the movie Gods and Generals so it wouldn't be confused with the other song by the same name . I liked to do a medley of both songs you cant beat the beautiful version by the boys choir could listen to it all day. It was a hard choice and glad we don't have to be put in a situation where we would have to choose. 

hugssandi
@hugssandi
6 years ago
244 posts

OH Susie...  I love "Wild Mountain Thyme" and would be delighted to hear you play it....

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,120 posts

Glenda -- that's a really different tune for Going Home.  Had never heard it, but I like it. 

The one I'm familiar with (and play) is based on The Largo from Dvorak's From The New World symphony,with words by William Arms Fisher in 1921.  The English boy choir Libera has an outstanding version on YouTube.  I don't have the high sweet tenor voice, but do a passable baritone version.  

Foggers
Foggers
@foggers
6 years ago
62 posts

What a great question. Specifically for dulcimer, I would have to say Pretty Saro. I play it on my little ginger scale McSpadden, in reverse Ionian G. Someday I should post a video!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,724 posts

Right now I'm thinking the fiddle tune "Liberty."

I've heard old timey versions , superfast bluegrass versions , a classic Cajun version , and a beautiful, slow version on the autoharp by Bryan Bowers that has a hymn-like quality to it and ever so slowly picks up momentum.  So I'm thinking the song could suffice for any mood.  

There are no words to it, so I could spend my time on that proverbial desert island writing lyrics!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts

"Wild Mountain Thyme"

hugssandi
@hugssandi
6 years ago
244 posts

The song I want to choose I cannot play yet!  "My Savior's Precious Blood".  Of the things I can play, which I understand is the actual question, I guess "O Master Let Me Walk With Thee".

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
6 years ago
297 posts
Another must song to learn: "Going home "
Glenda, your choice is a most beautiful song. The listener can just imagine being the soldier, on his way home, after fighting a bloody war. Wow. A tear jerker .

Lisa, thank you for posting this topic. I love the spirit of it all.
Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
6 years ago
18 posts

I have to say Going Home from the movie Gods and Generals a movie about the Civil War. I find myself playing this one over and over. I've never grown tired of listening or playing it.. I feel like it is the perfect Dulcimer Song. I just sat an the Russell Fork River is south West Va.and played it for almost 2 hours perfect place perfect song.!  

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
6 years ago
297 posts
Ken Hulme:

Ohhhh… that's TOUGH!!

After much consideration.....   Leonard Cohen's Suzanne a.k.a Suzanne Takes You Down

Ken,
This is indeed a beautiful song. I just listened to Leonard Cohen and Neil Diamond. Wow. You picked a beauty.

In the past you have shared your lifestyle with us here on fotmd. I can understand you connecting with this song. Thank you. It's now at the top of my list of songs to learn.

Lisa, Ken's song is an excellent example of why you started this post. Imho. Nothing complicated, just select a song that you know will be there for you time eternal.
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
6 years ago
297 posts

Lisa, I am glad you like "my" song. I agree, it's a beautiful song. Irene, like you, I have lived on a river, the Flint, for many years. I love "my" river. I love it so much, that almost always, while motoring slowly up or down, early in the morning, I feel haunted by it's beauty. That's a good reason to love this wonderful song. Congratulations for your 54 years, Irine.  Fifty years for us.  Dusty, it feels good to know there are other men, and women, who don't mind admitting, that they too get emotional with certain songs. I'm glad you pulled yourself together and we're able to play this song. I love playing it on dulcimer, but I do believe the guitar is the right instrument for this song.

updated by @terry-wilson: 07/23/18 09:04:07AM
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
6 years ago
167 posts

The comments here in....about RIVER by Bill Staines had me looking it up on youtube.  No wonder it's a favorite.  I've never heard it and I too can love that song.  I live on the grand Mississippi....seeing the sunsets daily...sunshine and rain and big thunder clouds....remembering my past with all the kids and now just my husband and I ....looking and singing and playing our instruments together at ages 77....We'll sing our 54th anniversary in our round yurt this July 30th and be grateful for all our years together and then some. Thank you friends for posting your favorites for us to learn from them too.  aloha, irene

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,724 posts

Terry, I once played guitar backup to a woman singing "River" at a small community arts festival.  I was given a lyrics sheet with chords to play, but when we rehearsed I broke out in tears as I followed the lyrics.  I had to just learn the song and play without looking at the lyrics so that I could smile at the audience instead of balling like a baby.sniffcry

You are not alone.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

"River" by Bill Staines is truly a beautiful and emotional song Terry.  It's very easy to understand it producing tears.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
6 years ago
297 posts

About 3 months after I began my journey with the dulcimer, I drove 100 miles to my first of only two D Jams. The group of around a dozen played "River (take me along), instrumental. I'd never heard of it. I thought it was the prettiest song I had ever heard. And then when I discovered the words, I was blown away again. I've been working on this song now for 6 years. My wife told me a couple of years ago, that I am ready to play the song out.  However, I love the song so deeply, I just don't want to blow it for someone else hearing it for the first time. "River", is a metaphor for the life we have each lived, and tomorrow on. If I told you how many times tears have flowed while practicing this song, one would say; "You need to get a hold of yourself, boy, or get institutionalized." One day, just maybe.

updated by @terry-wilson: 07/22/18 04:15:36PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,724 posts

How many times can I answer this question?  If it's only once, I would have to find a tune that sounds as good fast as it does slow.  Something with words but whose melody is meaningful without the words.

I'm gonna have to percolate on this one for a spell.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Yeah this is a very tough question Terry!  krazyhair

I almost picked Shady Grove. But then I had to choose a song I learned many years ago from the great Aubrey Atwater...

Wedding Dress, also sometimes called My Little Doney Gal.  I learned it at a workshop Aubrey gave, on dulcimer... but I think I actually play & sing it better on the banjo.
Anyway, I think that's the one I'd pick.  grin

--
Site Owner

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
6 years ago
297 posts
Oooooooooh Lisa. Your turn.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

I slept on it-- it's Shady Grove.  

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
6 years ago
167 posts

If you could hie to Kolob (I'll post the words to this some other time)...but any one song would become boring after too many times a playing it....We all have many.  I've loved the answers....who will watch the home place....amazing grace...Music is in all our souls else we'd not be doing it daily and posting and reading here in.  Thank you all for your posts.  aloha, irene

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
6 years ago
297 posts
Easy one for me:

"River, Take Me Along." Bill Staines.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

Golly, I gotta sleep on this one!  :)

Dan
Dan
@dan
6 years ago
183 posts

Richard Streib:

Mine would be Amazing Grace.  I can never get over how amazing God's grace is.

Ditto!!!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,081 posts

Too tough for me. I have no answer.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 07/21/18 07:28:09PM
Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
6 years ago
259 posts

Shipwrecked and for all eternity are two separate things. If I have to pick one song for all eternity, I'll assume I traveled down and not up.devil  

Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
6 years ago
28 posts

Interesting, does for all eternity mean until I find the next favorite? My choice is "Who Will Watch The Home Place" written by West Virginia song writer Kate Long. This song really struck a chord with me (pun intended). It makes me think of the many folks who have had to leave the land either because of external forces or of their own volition. I find it both sweet to play and sweet to sing.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
6 years ago
388 posts

Lisa, that's an IMPOSSIBLE question for me to answer.  I love so many songs and hymns!

"Next to the Word of God, MUSIC deserves the highest praise..."  (Martin Luther)

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,120 posts

Ohhhh… that's TOUGH!!

After much consideration.....   Leonard Cohen's Suzanne a.k.a Suzanne Takes You Down

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
6 years ago
234 posts

Mine would be Amazing Grace.  I can never get over how amazing God's grace is.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Here's a challenging 'shipwrecked on an island' type of question for all you Friends...

If you were somehow only allowed to play ONE song or tune on your dulcimer forever more, and it could only be one that your currently have already in your list of songs you play... which piece would you choose as the dulcimer ONLY tune you could play?  surprised

no cheating now, don't name multiple songs... just name your ONE choice.  nono

--
Site Owner