sarah_17545
sarah_17545
@sarah-17545
5 years ago
2 posts

Yes that is my mother! Glad to hear she found you!

Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
5 years ago
41 posts
Jimmy Lamar:
Yes. It was signed on the inside. It says “Mountain Dulcimer # 90, Made By Keith Johnson, Sporting Hill, PA 1/88.” I have been in contact with his daughter and recently his granddaughter. His daughter told me he was, by trade, an engineer, and that he is deceased.
Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
5 years ago
41 posts
Yes. It was signed on the inside. It says “Mountain Dulcimer # 90, Made By Keith Johnson, Sporting Hill, PA 1/88. I have been in contact with his daughter and recently his granddaughter. His daughter told me he was, by trade, an engineer, and that he is deceased.
Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
5 years ago
41 posts
Rob N Lackey:

I had a Keith Johnson hourglass which I sold to another member here.  It was well made and sounded good.  Mine had handmade pegs instead of geared tuners.  I enjoyed it while I had it, and its new owner enjoys it now.

Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
5 years ago
41 posts
Is your Mom Karen F.? I have been in contact with her.
sarah_17545
sarah_17545
@sarah-17545
5 years ago
2 posts

That was my Grandfather! So glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
6 years ago
41 posts
Rob N Lackey:

I had a Keith Johnson hourglass which I sold to another member here.  It was well made and sounded good.  Mine had handmade pegs instead of geared tuners.  I enjoyed it while I had it, and its new owner enjoys it now.

Was your’s signed on the inside, and was there any other information given, or do you know anything else about Mr. Johnson?
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
422 posts

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,415 posts

Right!  

Sometimes, even if nothing can be found about the builder as luthier some info can be found on things not related to luthiery (an old address directory, obituary, etc.) 

Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
6 years ago
41 posts
@robin-thompson No. That’s why I posted this thread.
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,415 posts

Jimmy, I'm seeing the photos just fine on an old iPad mini running Safari.  And the dulcimer looks to have been made by a skilled builder.  Do you know anything about Keith Johnson? 

Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
6 years ago
41 posts
Thanks much Alan!
Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
6 years ago
6 posts

To get them to work on my pad I renamed them to 1.jpeg  , 2.jpeg and so on so if you just shorten the names to something similar they should work hope this helps

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
6 years ago
6 posts

On my Windows based computer no probs 

On my Samsung pad cannot see pics.

Hope this helps

Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
6 years ago
41 posts
@alan-thompson
Are you viewing from a computer?
Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
@alan-thompson
6 years ago
6 posts

Pics are fine no problem viewing them

Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
6 years ago
41 posts
I tried to view the pics and I couldn’t. Let me know if you can view them. I’m using an iPhone.

I had trouble yesterday when I tried to download a pdf file that Ken Hulme posted. I was not able to get it in a viewable format.
Jimmy Lamar
Jimmy Lamar
@jimmy-lamar
6 years ago
41 posts

I recently purchased this dulcimer on an online auction. It is signed in pencil as “Mountain Dulcimer by Keith Johnson, Sporting Hill, PA-1988”.

i just wondered if anyone ever heard of him, or if he might be a member here.

There was a sales receipt in the case that shows it was purchased by a former owner at a music shop In Campbelltown, PA for 174.00. I picked it up for 85.00.

updated by @jimmy-lamar: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM