6 years ago
134 posts

Inventory????  dulcimer

Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
6 years ago
18 posts

My friends always ask, Well just how many do You have ? I call them my Eye Candy they are like  a box of chocolates all different but wonderful in their own way. . 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,124 posts

An Embarrassment of Dulcimers?

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
6 years ago
143 posts

"Too many" (7)...but I just ordered a new one, so I guess there are never too many dulcimers!

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
6 years ago
297 posts
A stable of dulcimers. "I think I'll ride this one this morning."
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Lois, you joined here in Sept 2012.

That's funny what you said about "so fotmd".  Well I guess when you have thousands of members there could never be one way of doing... anything!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 years ago
197 posts

This is SO FOTMD!  I'm not quite sure when I started here (I found something dating back about 6 years ago), but at the time I was taking instruction from a very fine folk instrumentalist.  He was fine for other instruments and he gave me a good start on the dulcimer, but I finally found it was time to leave.  He was so dogmatic (hmm, dog as opposed to a bunch of cats), while I found FOTMD members inclined to say there are so many ways and each has validity.  Guess this is also why I'd find it hard to limit myself to any one of these names.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,727 posts

I call my dulcimers family. grphug  

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Bob
Bob
@bob
6 years ago
86 posts

I always refer to mine a 'collection' of dulcimers.

By the way, that's a nice display. I like the shelf with Shaker Pegs as a hanger (got me thinking now !)

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
6 years ago
207 posts

Come on Y'all............ everyone knows that it's only proper to call 'em a "Mess of Dulcimers" or if you're talk'n and trying to be a bit highfalutin it would be a bit more polished to speak of 'em as a "Pile of" or "heap of" Dulcimores. 

updated by @salt-springs: 11/17/18 11:26:15PM
Davesterino
Davesterino
@davesterino
6 years ago
4 posts

A troupe, a heap, a batch, a fleet, or maybe just y'all if I am speaking to them rather than about them. happys

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
6 years ago
197 posts

Hmmmm.  I was going to suggest we vote, but this is going to be hard to choose.  A choir?  I also find myself liking Exaltation, Embarrassment, and Medley.  Of course to an accountant or tax official it's Inventory or Supplies.

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
6 years ago
134 posts

If my requests for commissioned, and donated to charities, dulcimers drops off, my other half will call them an 'excess'. lipssealed

updated by @kusani: 11/17/18 05:16:51PM
Skip
Skip
@skip
6 years ago
359 posts

A 'medley', [pun intended]. Have a 'medley' party, hand out MD's and play a bunch of tunes one after another, without a break in the music. That's a medley of people with a medley of md's playing a medley of tunes!grin

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,425 posts

Mine are birds of a feather which flock together.  :)

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,083 posts

Thinking a little more about this, I have been known call them a "herd." A friend of mine, an autoharp player, would walk out on stage with about ten or so harps to give a concert. I believe he called them an "embarrassment" of autoharps. We could probably appropriate that for dulcimers as well.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

A 'gaggle' of dulcimers (as in a gaggle of geese, with a nod to Aunt Rhody's old grey goose) ?

A 'murder' of dulcimers (as in "a murder of crows"/The Blackest Crow/murder ballads) ?

An 'exaltation' of dulcimers (as in an exaltation of larks/joyful singing) ?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
6 years ago
134 posts

Inventory? confusey

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
6 years ago
60 posts

Probably not what you're looking for but I just say "collection"... though agglomeration and arsenal come to mind as well.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,083 posts

Well, Dan, I've never really thought about this. I usually just say I have "a lot" of dulcimers or sometimes a "bunch." All I know is that I keep enlarging the "herd" despite trying to thin it from time-to-time.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dan
Dan
@dan
6 years ago
185 posts

I don't recall a discussion on the name of our group of dulcimores. I refer to them as a "clutch" , but would like to hear what you guys call them.... maybe put together a survey?

DAN

DSC00886-800.jpg
DSC00886-800.jpg  •  73KB

updated by @dan: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM