Dulcimers in books & films

hugssandi
@hugssandi
5 years ago
244 posts

A dulcimer appears in one of the pictures of the children's book _The Rag Coat_, by Lauren Mills.  It's one of my favorites!

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
5 years ago
167 posts

ahhhhhh, thanks Robin.  thanks for looking at us when we only had 8 at home.  That was my first dulcimer, and my first bowed psaltery.  All grown up now....youngest one there was three...now 33.  sigh.  I loved raising our big family and they all still love each other...music being a huge part in raising our family.  They all play one or two instruments and all sing.  An play a LOT of games in more ways then one.  ha.  We're going to have another family reunion this August. aloha, irene

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,426 posts

@irene You are a marvel!  What a beautiful family! 

In the poetry of James Still, he included mountain dulcimers sometimes.  As I recall, Mr. Still lived for some years in the Amburgey cabin and worked at Hindman Settlement School in Kentucky.  I highly recommend his writings! 

updated by @robin-thompson: 01/08/19 08:52:22PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,253 posts

IRENE:

A day before Christmas I got a DVD of our family playing and singing Christmas songs thirty years ago in Hawaii.  I got somethings wrong in my speaking, but you'll see 8 of our 14 children.  The older ones were gone....one in the Marines, some in school and some married.  Happy new year to you all.       

&source=gmail&ust=1546298787918000&usg=AFQjCNFF3ALCH5AzPI6rFiLSv9DPO9DZPA">
   ALOHA, IRENE

Irene, that's delightful!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Jim Soltis
Jim Soltis
@jim-soltis
5 years ago
5 posts

Glenda,

Somehow, over the last 18 or so years, I'd forgotten the tragic end of the movie, and only vaguely remembered the relationships, for some reason remembering mostly the music and the idea of searching out the mountain music.  But after getting your response, I went back and read the plot synopsis in Wikipedia, and now recall what you mean about the personal relationships, both that of the two women running the school and that of the musicologist and the Aidan Quinn character.  I quite understand how that left a bad taste.   

Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
5 years ago
18 posts

Jim. Yes I got the name incorrect  it was the "Songcatcher".The movie had many great folk singers and a lot of the wonderful song we love and play sing . Pretty Saro being one of my favorites I guess saying it was not that good wasn't a good way of expressing the way I felt about the movie I did love all the things you talk about . It is worth watching for all the reasons you say . Don probably didn't play more the 10 seconds in the movie.  My disappointment came  near the end  and how the personal relationships ended totally not necessary and ruined the whole move for me.  But yes worth the watch just for the music. 

Jim Soltis
Jim Soltis
@jim-soltis
5 years ago
5 posts

Glenda Hubbard:

Don Pedi played Dulcimer the movie the Tune Catchers set in Appalachian Mountains  Not that good but remember it because of Don.playing dulcimer at a barn dance. 

Are you perhaps thinking of the 2000 movie "Songcatcher" about a musicologist who, in the 1900s, visits her sister who runs a struggling school in western NC?  She gets intrigued by the mountain music and searches out and catalogs some of the mountain musicians. The quality of a movie is of course subjective, but I enjoyed it.   It has some good music in it as the musicologist goes about her search.  The great singer Iris Dement appears in the movie as a mountain musician, and sings Pretty Saro.  Emmy Lou Harris, Dolly Parton, Gillian Welch and Roseanne Cash also provide music.  And as noted, you get to see Don Pedi play.  The plot moves along well enough.  It's got some pretty good drama, IMHO.  If it's available to you , I think it's worth taking a look at, if just for the music. It's available On Demand from my cable company, Comcast. Maybe yours offers it as well. 

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
6 years ago
167 posts

ahhhhh, this is the post to put it in.  A day before Christmas I got a DVD of our family playing and singing Christmas songs thirty years ago in Hawaii.  I got somethings wrong in my speaking, but you'll see 8 of our 14 children.  The older ones were gone....one in the Marines, some in school and some married.  Happy new year to you all.       

ALOHA, IRENE

Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
6 years ago
18 posts

Don Pedi played Dulcimer the movie the Tune Catchers set in Appalachian Mountains  Not that good but remember it because of Don.playing dulcimer at a barn dance. 

updated by @glenda-hubbard: 01/01/19 06:58:26AM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,124 posts

Several episodes of the TV series Daniel Boone, where Fess Parker actually played (rather than just faking) a dulcimer for his wife.

Several music related TV programs where Cyndi Lauper plays her dulcimer.  Taught by David Schnauffer.  She composes all her tunes on dulcimer. 

updated by @ken-hulme: 12/31/18 07:06:47AM
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
6 years ago
143 posts

On the TV show, "The Waltons", one episode featured the dulcimer. One episode (right word?) of the TV show, "Rainbow Quest", hosted by Pete Seeger, featured Jean Ritchie; another episode featured Richard and Mimi Farina (Richard played dulcimer). In the early '60's, I recall seeing John Jacob Niles once or twice on TV.

tssfulk
@tssfulk
6 years ago
8 posts

The other day I started reading The Urban Fantasy Anthology by Peter S. Beagle and Joe R. Lansdale. The very first story, set in 1970, was "A Bird that Whistles" by Emma Bull about a young banjo player who meets a charismatic, handsome and great musician. I was immediately greeted with a great opening sentence, "The dulcimer player sat on the back steps of Orpheus Coffeehouse." The musician, a fiddle and guitar player, was just trying out the dulcimer, but there were references to "Shady Grove," other folk songs and tuning the banjo to "mountain minor."

Where else have you encountered dulcimers in films or in books?

updated by @tssfulk: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM