Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
5 years ago
188 posts
John Keane glad you’re maintaining a relationship with Cedarcreekdulcimers. They are very nice people.
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
5 years ago
182 posts

I do not.  A sweet lady in Kentucky bought it from me at a festival a few years ago.  My needs and preferences had changed, so it was a good deal for both of us.  We still drop by the main store on Hwy. 76 a couple of times a year, and we've performed there in the past as well.

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
5 years ago
188 posts
John Keene, I am definitely the general public. And yes they have been most helpful and kind.
Do you still have your Cedar Creek Dulcimer?
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
5 years ago
182 posts

I know dozens of people who experienced their first exposure to the mountain dulcimer through the Cedar Creek kiosk at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO (including my wife and myself).  My first real dulcimer came from there as well.  They are quality people and make everyone feel welcome.  The Cedar Creek folks are true ambassadors when it comes to introducing the general public to the mountain dulcimer.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,083 posts

I agree with Greg's comments. I know some folks who have Cedar Creek dulcimers. I think they are a good quality dulcimer. There probably have not been as many made as McSpadden and Folkcraft. You just don't see as many around. They often come up on the used market although I can't recall prices paid for them.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
5 years ago
188 posts
Thank you, Greg. I will watch prices.....although I could endanger 49+ years of marriage with another dulcimer.
Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
5 years ago
141 posts

Dulcimer reputations spread pretty much by word-of-mouth.  Over time, some builders have built up a reputation for quality and consistency.  I don't have any personal experience with Cedar Creek Dulcimers, so I can't comment positively or negatively regarding the quality of their dulcimers.  However, as more and more dulcimer players recommend a builder, their reputation will grow.

The major builders have earned respect for the quality of their work.  They have thousands of examples floating around and many satisfied customers.  I can personally attest to the superior quality of some of the major builders. Of course, there are new builders popping up all the time.  Some of their work rivals that of the major dulcimer builders.  The key characteristics are "quality of workmanship" and "consistency of the finished product".  

Since I have no personal experience with Cedar Creek Dulcimers, I will leave it you and to other owners of Cedar Creek Dulcimers to describe the quality of their work.  You appear to be very happy with your Cedar Creek Dulcimers.  Others will read your comments and perhaps try a Cedar Creek model for themselves.

One of the easiest ways to determine how highly regarded a particular brand of dulcimer might be is to check out what one sells for on the used instrument market.  Quality instruments tend to maintain their value.  Follow the dulcimer offerings on E-Bay and you will soon learn what the dulcimer community thinks of a particular brand.

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
5 years ago
188 posts

I hear many names of dulcimer builders.  I have three dulcimers; all from Cedar Creek Dulcimers.  Two are backpackers and the other their answer to McSpadden's Ginger.

I never hear any comments on Cedar Creek.  As a beginner and certainly not a trained musician I may be a poor one to judge but I really like all three.

Just wondering.