How do I post in the Photos section of my page?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,255 posts

Some additional points beyond what Ken L went over:

Victoria, are you trying to post a profile/avatar picture of yourself that replaces the generic one of the tan dulcimer?...one that will show to the left of your posts?
If that's what you're trying to do, then you need to go into your Settings to replace the generic image.   

There are two easy ways to get to your account Settings:

1) go to your Profile page, and click on the GEAR icon at the right top corner to the right of your large name. Once in your Settings, notice that there are two tabs: one for Profile and one for Account.  Go to both those Tabs and follow the directions to upload your picture for your avatar (one pic will show only on your Profile page, and the other will show next to all your posts elsewhere the site. They can both be the same picture if you like).

2) the other quick way to get to your member settings is to hover over your name at the very top of any page here, on the right... the drop down menu will appear and just click on "account settings" - it will take you to the same place in your profile settings where you'll see those two tabs for Profile and Account.

If you see a bunch of weird code- it may be a bug of some sort in the site coding. If it is, I'll need you to tell me exactly what your steps were that make the code pop up, and a screenshot of the odd code you see would be invaluable to me in tracking down the problem and fixing it.  If you're seeing an error message, then I'd need to know exactly what the message says, and what steps you did that produce the message.  If I can't reproduce a bug or get detailed descriptions of how it happens, then it becomes very difficult to track it down and fix it.  Thanks!~

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,089 posts

Victoria, I am not sure what you were seeing when you tried to upload a photo. If you are on your page under your name and you click on the Photo box you see a page that says Create a Gallery. Click on the plus sign, name your gallery, and then choose a photo file. I find it easiest to have the photo file on my desktop and choose the file from there. I can't choose a file from my photo program. That just doesn't work for me. I am using a MacBook Pro, but I suspect it may work similarly with a Windows machine. Please ask more specific questions if this does not help you.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Victoria
Victoria
@victoria
5 years ago
1 posts
I uploaded a picture of myself from my photo album and it would not meet some weirdo requirements . It stated a bunch of stuff in code I didn’t understand.
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
5 years ago
197 posts

P.S. I find that "+" symbol step that I need to remember.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
5 years ago
197 posts

Thank you both!  I posted this unsuccessfully on the former site and thought it was worth trying again.  (It also gave me a procedure for a fellow member who has had trouble posting photos here.)  I love the instrument & its uniqueness, so I decided to post it both ways.  Guess I'm 2 for 2.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,255 posts

Lois, you could create and name a new photo Gallery and then use the gallery's "+" button to add photos to the gallery.

BUT if your goal is to ask if people know who made your dulcimer, then you'd get a lot more responses if you just ASK that question in a new discussion in our Instruments/luthiers Forum:
https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/instruments-discuss-specific-features-luthiers-instrument-problems-questions
Notice that that forum has quite a few discussions asking who might have made a particular dulcimer.

Many people don't notice descriptions in a gallery or a photo. But a forum discussion, with pictures, WILL get more reads and more replies. A photo or photo gallery is not a great place to try to start a discussion or ask questions. Mostly people will just say "beautiful dulcimer!" when they comment on a photo. Discussion are easiest to conduct in Forums.

I suggest you create your new discussion in the appropriate forum (as I linked above), and then read the following thread for instructions on how to add your photos into your discussion posts :

https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/site-questions-how-do-i/33874/how-do-i-attach-photos-to-a-post

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,126 posts

Go to your page.  Click on boxed word Photos below the dark yellow bar.  A page called Photo Galleries comes up.  Click the +  then give the gallery a name, and select pix to upload (you can only upload 6 per day).  I just did that with my Burnsville Holly Leaf build.

updated by @ken-hulme: 08/13/19 10:42:42PM
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
5 years ago
197 posts

I have 1 photo in my photos section that I somehow acquired from the Berea Gathering.  I have 6 photos I would like to post and ask if anybody recognizes who made my Swan-shaped Dulcimer.  I can select them from my files & they range from 87.5 KB to 181 KB, so that should be smaller than the 1.5 MB it says is the maximum.  I click the Select Images to Upload box on my Photos tab, open the photo in my file and drop it on the Select Images box, where the title appears in a green box (but no photo).  There the size goes from 87.5kB to 0.2MB with all but 1 of the 6 either 0.1 or 0.2 MB.  What step am I missing?  While I'm at it I'd like to group all 6 together, titling it Swan-shaped Dulcimer and in the gallery description say where I bought it as a clue & ask if anybody recognizes the signature & logo on it and the instrument.