Can you help me ID this song?

Blondie
Blondie
@blondie
4 years ago
27 posts

Cannot help with song title but I just love the little accordion in this video!  Makes me wish I had one like that.  Very pretty melody indeed.

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
4 years ago
139 posts

Well, folks! It's solved! Joe Collins 'The Banks of the Catawba' It's on his new album The River Runs Through it and it's streaming on amazon music. Wow..

It was one of his free tabs in the past. A nice song!

updated by @d-chitwood: 02/05/20 10:13:33AM
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
4 years ago
139 posts
My friend was able to put together the first few notes and is asking if someone has Anna Berry’s sounding book, and you have a moment would you mind looking to see if this matches any of the tabs
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
4 years ago
207 posts

Jim Stewart's original here:

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
4 years ago
207 posts

I'll venture to guess that this is  a variation  of Jim Stewart's, "Lament for Owen Christy" which is in Anna Barry's book Soundings whose contents can be found in the Western North Carolina Library Network by searching for her name.

updated by @salt-springs: 02/05/20 01:08:41AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Ken Hulme: Doesn't sound complicated enough for O'Carolan, but it definitely has common Celtic runs and flourishes

I agree with @Ken-Hulme. I would have used the word "active" rather than "complicated," but I think we're talking about the same thing. It sounds to me like a Celtic ballad in which the singing of any given verse might involve more notes depending on the specific lyrics.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Doesn't sound complicated enough for O'Carolan, but it definitely has common Celtic runs and flourishes

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
4 years ago
139 posts

She suspects that the song came from Anna Berry's 'Soundings' dulcimer book. But she isn't sure. It definitely was a tab my friend was playing

updated by @d-chitwood: 02/04/20 08:07:51PM
Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
4 years ago
74 posts

That worked. Nice. What does it mean, her Soundings book? Maybe she was improvising?

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
4 years ago
139 posts

My friend who played it, said it was recorded the day Anna Berry passed away and she is suspicious it came out of her 'Soundings' book. But it's packed far far away and she can't double check.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 years ago
385 posts

It's a very lovely melody, but I haven't heard it before.  Maybe it's something from Turlough O'Carolan's pen?  Could be...

Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
4 years ago
108 posts

It sounds to me like a blend of The Ash Grove and Ashokan Farewell.  Which, sadly, does not pin down the actual title.  Ash Grove is Welsh and Jay Ungar says he wrote Ashokan in the style of a Scottish lament, so those might be useful clues.  Sorry, it's all I got :-)

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
4 years ago
139 posts

I just uploaded it to SoundCloud let me see if I can get it on here that way

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
4 years ago
74 posts

Didn't work that way on my Mac - please do record it if it's so beautiful...whenever you get back. And thanks, have a good trip.

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
4 years ago
139 posts
I certainly understand people’s desire to not download things but I use a Mac and have a very clean brand new computer I’m very careful and do not download weird stuff so I don’t think there is any risk at playing a Google Drive song
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Cynthia, I could certainly learn the tune and play it for you . . . but I'm leaving in a little bit for a 2-day business trip.  If this conversation is still at a stalemate on Friday I'll give it a try.

For the record, I did not have to download it at all. I clicked on the link Dana supplied and then clicked on the song title and it played directly from Google Drive.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
4 years ago
74 posts

Dusty, can you play a short clip of it for us non-downloaders? Pretty please...

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
4 years ago
139 posts

Well shoot! I've run it past Brian G., Linda B., Tull G, Billy A. No one knows it! Can someone who has Anna Berry (barry?) Soundings book check it? She thinks maybe it was hers.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Sure is pretty. smile  No idea what song it is. frown

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
4 years ago
74 posts

Now you have me curious but I don't want to download it...hope someone IDs it.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Don't know it, but I want to!

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
4 years ago
139 posts

A friend recorded this song and forgot to notate the name. I've run it past a few friends and instructors and so far, no one knows what it is. Hope you can help!  Dana

Here is a google drive link. I THINK when you click on it, your computer should offer you a play with music player for google drive. That's how i"m able to hear it. First 5 seconds is quiet. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6vTwCDi-ntaZFNaZzc2T1U4eXVkQ2ZDM1k5U1RUaEV5NTZv

updated by @d-chitwood: 02/05/20 12:58:32AM