Finger picks that don't sound like finger picks!

Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
4 years ago
32 posts
I find that Alaska Piks work wonderfully and sound just like I'm using my fingernails. You can trim and shape them with nail clippers, and you can even strum in both directions just as you can with a pick. I prefer using my own fingernails, even for strumming, but when I break a nail, an Alaska Piks is a great temporary replacement. (Sounds like a commercial, but I have no financial interest in them!) - Steve Smith
Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
4 years ago
188 posts
You’re correct. They are picks; not fingerpicks.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,725 posts

Don, I use those Wedgie rubber picks on an acoustic bass guitar, and they help make the instrument sound more like an upright bass.  But I don't think they make fingerpicks, do they?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
4 years ago
188 posts
I use Wedgie rubber soft picks.
Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
4 years ago
28 posts

Thanks Dusty! I do have Gorilla Tips - and when I use them on my fretting hand I wear a thin silk glove over them so I'm able to slide. I've not heard of the guitar gloves - I'll look them up! Another thought you reminded me of - when I (try to) play the harp, (same hand issues), I tape my fingers with paper tape. I'll try that on the dulcimer and see if I can finger pick that way. Thanks so much!

UPDATE: Just ordered the Guitar Glove. Will see if that is an option for my picking hand....

updated by @jill-geary: 02/11/20 07:10:24PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,725 posts

Jill, plastic or metal picks will always sound like plastic or metal.  The felt flat picks have a softer sound, but you can't play individual notes very well and they certainly wouldn't help you with fingerpicking.

If the issue for you is the physical contact between your fingers and the strings (rather than some muscular issue), you might explore some of the products intended to help people who don't like the fingertip pressure on their fretting hand. 

There are products called "guitar gloves" that are tight-fitting gloves intended for the fretting hand. They supposedly reduce the wear on fingertips.  It might be that you could try one of those for your picking hand.  And if you don't like wearing the whole glove, you might be able to cut off the fingers themselves, and just use the fingers you want to pick with.

There are also products for the fingertips themselves, again intended for the fretting hand, such as Gorilla Tips.

I've never used any of that stuff and imagine that even if they worked for you there would be a period of adjustment where you would have to get used to the feel of the strings through those products, but if you have no other solutions, you might give them a try.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,120 posts

IIRC there are plastic ones, which should sound less metallic and more finger-y.  

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
4 years ago
28 posts

Hi all,

I love to fingerpick with my fingers/pads - but my hands have "issues" and they rebel. Are there any fingerpicks that don't sound like finger picks?  That sound like bare fingers? 

Thanks!