Getting back into my Dulcimer

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,073 posts

Hello, Gary, I'm glad you are getting back in to playing your dulcimer. I can't really add to what KenH and John have said. Just sit down and play as often as you can. Enjoy.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
4 years ago
124 posts

Welcome back to music-making, Gary! I came back to dulcimer a little before retiring and have enjoyed it very much. I have also enjoyed the company of the very sweet people on this website.

As for getting back into playing, I suggest you go back and retrace the path you took before. Start with the simple stuff, the things you can play pretty easily now. This will get those skills strong again. And it won't take very long at all. Then add to it as the spirit moves you. You may discover what you played before isn't interesting any more. So don't bother. Work on music you like.

Sometimes our memories play tricks on us. I may not have played as well "back in the day" as I like to remember. But I'm pretty pleased with the sounds I make today. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

I find that the best thing to do is establish a set time to sit and play.  Especially once you retire and all sorts of "windows" open up to claim the time which you used to spend on the job...

Gary Major
Gary Major
@gary-major
4 years ago
11 posts

Hello everyone... I just ordered some new strings for my Dulcimer. I am retiring from work in a few weeks and am decitated to get back to my music. I find I am greatly rusty now and can't remember a lot of how to finger and play smoothly. To chord alone or play melody and chord. 

If anyone has any suggestions for me or anyone else who wants to get back into the swing please offer your advice. I looked over what I shared playing before and can't believe I even played that good. Need to build that confidence again. Please suggest how to get into the proper routine.

Thank you

Love you all !!

updated by @gary-major: 06/24/20 03:33:57PM