The Mountain Minor movie

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,729 posts

I'm glad you got to see the movie, Robin the Producer.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,254 posts

that is super cool Robin!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,428 posts

We bought the movie and sound track-- so cool to have them!  I like it that the film focused on the musical aspect of being part of life, tying past to present to future.  It was fun to see my name in the credits at the end-- I kicked in on the fundraiser for the movie.  Likely, the only time I'll end up in movie credits.  :)  

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,428 posts

Friends, The Mountain Minor movie folks have released a soundtrack.  I'm thinking about ordering a copy of both the movie and the soundtrack.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,254 posts

Poppop, that is very cool!  Thanks for joining us here.  sun

--
Site Owner

poppop
@poppop
4 years ago
1 posts

I’m a childhood friend of Dale Farmer. I still live 30 minutes from him. Excellent movie, The mountain minor. Dale is a very talented guy, plays several instruments and has played in several bluegrass groups. If you haven’t seen the movie you can see it on Amazon prime. 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,254 posts

We've seen most of John Sayles' films, including Matewan.

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,729 posts

There are plenty of films about mountain miners as well.  Have you ever seen Matewan?

I'm glad you enjoyed the film.  The music is pretty special.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,254 posts

We watched the film on Amazon Prime. Had a laugh because Brian couldn't find it for the longest time until I pointed out that he was searching for "mountain miner" instead of "mountain minor". 

We definitely enjoyed it!  The music was great.  Enjoyed seeing Dan Gellert playing 'old' Charlie... Dan is considered one of the top five current living oldtime musician fiddlers. He's amazing.  Elizabeth LaPrelle's ballad singing was magical.  And the little kid playing young Charlie was wonderful.

I might not ever have noticed this movie- thanks Dusty!  violin banjo

--
Site Owner

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

The film was on our PBS station in KY this past weekend.  I saw it on Amazon Prime earlier.  The actors are professional musicians, not actors.  But it's filmed well and the music makes up for any other shortcomings.  You can watch clips on Youtube.  Nina

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,428 posts

I haven't yet gotten to see the film yet really want to!  When the film came to uptown Athens OH earlier this year we had flooding type rains and didn't go.  The film was pretty low budget-- we kicked in a bit on their fundraising project.  Our internet isn't the best so we don't buy movies to stream.  Maybe someday I'll get to watch it.  They're coming out with a music project based on the film soon, I think.    

updated by @robin-thompson: 07/28/20 10:45:46AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,254 posts

Thanks for this heads up Dusty. We plan to watch the film tonight!

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,729 posts

Hey folks. Anyone interested in traditional fiddle tunes will love the movie The Mountain Minor (2019) written and directed by Dale Farmer.  It is available on Amazon Prime Video right now but will probably be around on PBS stations soon if it hasn't been already.

The film is the story of young Charlie, growing up on a farm in Kentucky and learning the fiddle from his grandfather.  But the Depression forces his family to move to new opportunities in Ohio.  He eventually retires to move back but also teaches his own grandson the old tunes.  So the film depicts the passing on of musical traditions over four generations.

As a film it is good, but not great.  The story is sometimes simplistic and predictable and the dialogue and acting a bit staid at times.  However, the MUSIC IS GREAT!  I'm sure the soundtrack will be out soon if it isn't already. According to my notes, here is a list of the tunes in the film:

Hickory Jack (which both begins and ends the film and is a kind of theme)

Young Emily

Fiddler a Dram

Crazy Kamlesh

Old Jimmy Sutton

Short Time Here, Long Time Gone

Darlin' Corey

Glory in the Meeting House

Sally in the Turnip Patch

Old Regular Melody

Shaking Down the Acorns

Cripple Creek

Ways of the World

Bushy Fork of John's Creek

Paddy on the Turnpike

The Day is Past and Gone

Across the Ohio

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 07/28/20 12:11:43AM