Virtual Dulcimer Festival Site

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

I'm still eager to know of festivals/workshops for other instruments, but if you're interested in creating one this might help.  The Story Crossroads blog from Aug. 17, 2020 to Aug. 25 presents a five-part series on "How to Set Up Virtual Events."  In blog format, since the most recent appears first, it's best to go all the way back to the first part, working through what you need up to the end.  It's written for storytelling events, but is intended to fit other performing arts and virtual events.

Hope it helps replace some events.  It gives an interesting choice of times if you want to go global. 

My only regret is my other type of event is theater and "You know what you call recorded plays . . . movies."

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

Hope for more as their registration is only until Monday 3 p.m. CDT.  I sent as URGENT FWD to our president & suggested folks prowl online for networking site of their favorite instrument.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

Thanks, Dusty!  I know you cover a variety of instruments.  I'll send that & welcome any others.  To paraphrase a popular saying, "A musician is a terrible thing to waste!"

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

Lois, I don't know of a list such as what you're looking for. The Dulcimer Players News website maintains a list of dulcimer festivals, but nothing beyond that.  I did hear recently that the big Walnut Valley Festival is going online this year for two days of "hands-on workshops."  The link there is to the list of workshops, which cover guitar, banjo, mandolin, autoharp, ukulele, and more.

Maybe everyone is waiting for someone--perhaps someone with the skills of a resource librarian--to create the list you seek.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 09/06/20 06:12:50PM
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

Quick Dumb Question: Is there a site for online music festivals beyond exclusively dulcimers?  Last night our local folklore society had our 1st gathering since shutting down in March.  Thank heavens for Zoom even if not the same as our usual meeting.  In talking, before we took turns playing & singing, there was regret over closed festivals.  I mentioned attending online & was asked to share a listing of festivals.  I know some of the listings at dpnews go beyond dulcimers.  I'll gladly share it, but most of our members play guitar, uke, or banjo, so I'm hoping some of our instrumental generalists can name additional sites.

THANKS!  (I'm that sure they exist.)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,252 posts

The limits of geographic distance (and its expenses involved in terms of food, gas, and lodging) don't apply with online festivals and their workshops, so it's a bargain! Many of these online festivals even include communal slots where folks can have fun meeting in a zoom room and getting to know one another during lunch periods and in between workshops and concerts!

People should definitely look into attending various dulcimer online festivals across the country now that distance doesn't limit them!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

Thanks for this important reminder, Lois. Quarantune is so big it has overshadowed the many smaller, intimate, regional dulcimer festivals that have also gone online.  I took a couple of workshops at the Dutchland DulciZoom festival last month and had a great time. I'm also teaching a couple workshops at the Redwood Dulcimer Day in a couple of weeks, and I'm sure I'll attend the Harvest Festival of Dulcimers and the North Georgia Foothills festival as well.

Obviously we all wish we could gather in person, but one nice aspect of being forced online is our ability to meet dulcimer players from all over the country. Since I have a job and a family, I could never attend dulcimer festivals further than a few hours drive way, but these online gatherings have enabled me to share music with people from all over.

Thanks to Ashley at DPN for making that festival directory available!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

Dulcimer Player News https://www.dpnews.com/festival-directory lists festivals and with everything having to go online it's worth prowling to get some of those workshops you might have been unable to take because they were already taken at Quarantune or Quarantune 2.0.