Dulcimer sales in 2020

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
4 years ago
134 posts

Well thank you.  It has a great tone, and I have a request to build another; not for charity. 

updated by @kusani: 08/10/20 02:37:16PM
marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

Kusani

Beautiful and generous 

NateBuildsToys
NateBuildsToys
@nate
4 years ago
247 posts

Something I've been wondering a lot about! For those who lost their jobs or got hours cut, on one hand lots of people are cooped up and student dulcimers are pretty affordable so I could see how it could help sales for student models, but on the other hand many folks are justifiably being more careful with their money.  Some people's careers have not been affected at all by this, but have been seriously limited socially, so that probably amounts to some people with stable income sitting around bored all day looking for new hobbies. I would assume for this reason that the very high end ones may be taking the smallest hit. Also, quarantine has led a lot of people to explore 'DIY projects' so I wonder if companies like Folkcraft or similar kit brands have seen a positive change. Me, I tend to build very low quality dulcimers and just sell them to locals for ~50 bucks to clear up space in my living room! Needless to say I don't have any grasp of the real dulcimer market. Would love to hear more perspectives of people actually selling them. Covid lowering sales would indicate that people are being more cautious with money or simply don't have it, so if that is the consensus, now might be a good time to finish up the video I have been working on geared toward people with minimal woodworking experience for building dirt cheap dulcimers! The video, which is currently dozens of clips I have to learn to edit together, details how to build a craftboard dulcimer for under 15 $ in materials and some simple hand tools nearly everyone should have access to. If people can't afford them now is a great time to learn to make them!

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
4 years ago
134 posts

I'm still making a few to donate to charity auctions in our area. The cedar, with ebony overlay on the fretboard, went in an auction that closed last Friday. 

0-7.jpg
0-7.jpg  •  68KB

updated by @kusani: 08/09/20 10:06:10PM
Wendell G
Wendell G
@wendell-g
4 years ago
9 posts
Thank you, Dan. That makes perfect sense to me and I appreciate your insight!
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 years ago
389 posts

...including a very LARGE project, wouldn't you say, Dan?

Dan
Dan
@dan
4 years ago
185 posts

Less sales, I think folks are holding on to their money for good reason. I'm still active in the Dulcimore Den, just working on my own projects!

Wendell G
Wendell G
@wendell-g
4 years ago
9 posts

I have recently rejoined this wonderful forum and I am curious about how Mountain Dulcimer sales may be going this year both new and used. Most sites I have browsed seem to have lower inventory than I recall from before. That could mean higher sales with reduced available inventory or it could mean slower sales have resulted in reduced stock and overhead. I have no idea but just curious what you may think. I am certain our members who are builders could shed some light on this if they choose to do so.