traildad
@traildad
4 years ago
89 posts

I read the Calistoga fire evacuation ended. I’m not sure how long it lasted. Thankfully nobody was injured and the town was spared. Hopefully it won’t delay my dulcimer too much. I’m sure he’s got other things on his mind right now. 

traildad
@traildad
4 years ago
89 posts
@silverstrings: Yes, the deluxe with the package deal. I played the model 56 at his shop and it compared well to the McSpadden dulcimers I played in LA.
Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
4 years ago
54 posts

Very cool. I have 2 McSpaddens and a Black Mountain 58 deluxe. I still play my Black Mountain a lot. Did you go with the 81 deluxe and a gig bag? Those extra features are great and worth it. Also, the gig bag has a huge pocket that is actually large enough for books!!! My Black Mountain is my go to for my travels. 

traildad
@traildad
4 years ago
89 posts
@strumelia: that's what I'm counting on. All the McSpadden dulcimers had a nice tone but I think maybe I hear too much pick/string noise. I'm hoping it will have a bigger voice with good tone. I'm a little surprised at how good the kit dulcimer I'm playing sounds. It has a larger body also.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,252 posts

Ken, that's very funny and also clever.. giggle2   (bff= best friend forever)

But.. wouldn't they have to be F#'s to equal the same number of steps up from the tonic as in DAA? (correct me if i'm wrong).

Traildad, that walnut and spruce with the slightly larger size will sound very mellow and lovely, I suspect.  :D 

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,123 posts

Congrats on a new BFF!   Actually, you could tune it B-F-F and play DAA two steps lower!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

Congrats, @traildad!  I'm sure you two will make beautiful music together! jive

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
traildad
@traildad
4 years ago
89 posts
Yes I agree. The standard one I looked at was very nice. In a perfect situation I'd be picking from a bunch of them that I could play first. I think it's the right way to go all things considered.
John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
4 years ago
124 posts

I'm sure you'll get a fine quality instrument. He's made enough of the things to know what he's doing! winker

traildad
@traildad
4 years ago
89 posts

I've ordered my dulcimer! It was really difficult to choose without being able to listen to a lot of instruments. I visited Black Mountain Instruments in Calistoga CA and got to hear a beautiful dulcimer, but I wasn't convinced. My vacation took me to LA so I decided to look around while I was there. I was able to try four McSpadden dulcimers. I still couldn't pull the trigger. The loaner I am playing has a much bigger sound so I was still thinking.  Then I remembered that Black Mountain Instruments makes a jumbo dulcimer. The craftsmanship of his dulcimer was excellent so I decided to cross my fingers and order one without playing it first. I should have it in a month or so. Walnut with a spruce top, rosewood fingerboard and a guitar style head. I'll be counting the days. 

https://blackmtninstruments.com/buy-dulcimers/model-81-dulcimer/