Information on Jim Good Appreciated.

Michael Willey
Michael Willey
@michael-willey
2 years ago
30 posts

I realize this is an old post, but I wanted to share some news on Jim Good.  I'm a WV native, looking to purchase a new dulcimer next year, and googled for WV luthiers.  I found Jim's Mastertone website for the first time and marveled at his beautiful instruments.  I emailed and asked for a price range and told him I would like to visit his workshop when I go back home next year.  Mrs. Good replied and told me that Jim had a stroke and is in a nursing home as a result and hasn't built anything since 2018.  Please keep the Good family in your thoughts and prayers.  

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

This is a pre fire 1983 one of his. I will see when it comes. He changed his style after the fire. Before the fire he used tuning pegs, after he went to mechanical. Once it comes I will get in touch. I also have information about his fire in 1983.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,073 posts

I have never seen a dulcimer made by Jim Good with any painted designs on it. Are you sure this was  not done after the dulcimer was purchased? When you look at the dulcimers on Jim's website, there are no dulcimers with painted designs. He doesn't mention that on the website. If it were something he offered, you would think it would be on the website. I can't wait to see your purchase.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Not sure he contracts with anyone to do paintings on his instruments.  Contact him and ask.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Sorry, Nathina, I have no idea. You might contact him directly.  Luthiers are usually delighted to hear their old builds are still out there being played.

I will once I have it. At this point I don't know whether it is paint or inlay, as pre 1983 he was known for a lot of inlay apparently. Guess I'll wait and see.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Sorry, Nathina, I have no idea. You might contact him directly.  Luthiers are usually delighted to hear their old builds are still out there being played.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 12/12/20 09:54:15PM
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Dusty Turtle:

Jim's been making dulcimers under the Mastertone name for probably several decades.  Every one I've ever seen had 5 strings.  I've never played one, but Jim has a good reputation.

Do you know who he contracts with to do the painting, prior to the final "shellac". I will post the one I got when it comes. This might be an older one, having peg tuners, built 1980. This is a pre 1983 fire model, before he changed to mechanical tuners.

updated by @nathina: 12/12/20 08:44:50PM
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I seem to have gone on a buying spree for christmas. A few to fix, and some to sell I hope, to pay for what I bought. This time of year with COVID is just terrible.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Jim's been making dulcimers under the Mastertone name for probably several decades.  Every one I've ever seen had 5 strings.  I've never played one, but Jim has a good reputation.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I have seen Jim Good mentioned as a dulcimer maker on the site. What can anyone tell me about his dulcimers, and who does the paintings? I just bought an older one and it will eventually arrive. It looks great, how it plays?