Spambots on soundcloud

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

I share my musical noise places, too, so understand.  :)

jost
@jost
3 years ago
77 posts

Well I also share my noise on other social networks and I'm a kind of number nerd (no wonder I studied Computer Science) so I'm intigrued to find out how many of my Facebook-Friends etc actually molest their ears with them winky

For fotmd I just uploaded the files via Audio upload. A small inconvenience but it could be worse.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

Jost, don't concern yourself with the number of plays/stats on Soundcloud; I'm guessing they are really only meaningful if you are trying to make money off your recordings.  If you wish, try putting your settings there back to "Public" and if your account allows it, disable public comments.    

jost
@jost
3 years ago
77 posts

Thanks Robin, this explains a lot. I got 150 plays for my tracks during the first day. Would be quite flattering If it had any real meaning. So it just shows that sound cloud is better in attracting spammers then actually do something against them.
I changed the privacy setting to get more realistic stats. Sadly this resulted in invalid soundcloud links here faceplant And I can't change the url here to the new ones, so I will have to delete and readd them.
Thanks again for the answer

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

Jost, I have taken to disabling comments on SoundCloud.  I, too, have experienced what you describe.  

jost
@jost
3 years ago
77 posts

Hello everybody,

I don't know whether this forum is the appropriate one, feel free to move this to off topic.

Yesterday I started uploading sound files to Soundboard. Quite soon I got comments/mails from people who liked them/offered to give them more distribution.

Since the sound and musical quality is quite limited (due to my recording equipment and I'm just a starter) I got puzzled and looked on their profiles. Everybody of them belongs to a kind of spam network who offers "500 likes for free" or something like this.

So in my opinion they are spam bots and I reported  them to Soundcloud before blocking them.

I'm now considering limiting the message function for Soundcloud to save me the hassle in dealing with this crap. However I fear, that I might miss some legitimate messages.

So: Have anyone of you similiar experiences with soundclouds messaging? Or are people actually using the messages for communicating?

Best regards, jost.

updated by @jost: 01/09/21 10:53:08PM