Jon Pickow's last performance

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,123 posts

That's how his mother taught him to play.  Jean Ritchie never played and sang melody.  She invariably played soft harmonies or counter-melodies and sang the melody.

dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 years ago
87 posts

Oh my goodness.  Thank you for sharing this video. Nina

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
3 years ago
167 posts

I was soooooo touched by this music and playing and just two days before passing.....precious for his family.  I truely loved how he played a counter melody while singing that song so meaningfully.  thank you so much for posting.  aloha, irene

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
388 posts

THIS, THIS is the way the dulcimore was meant to be played.  Soft accompaniment to the solo singing voice.

Not even playing the same notes, but harmonizing and filling-in around the singer's voice.  Peaceful and serene.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,083 posts

Robin and Dusty, you're welcome. I was unclear as to whether this video is a clip from a larger video which PBS Craft in America filmed. I do hope there is more. It is a treasure and difficult to play that way.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,727 posts

It's wonderful that this has been preserved.  Notice that the dulcimer is not repeating the melody as Jon sings but playing a counter melody/harmony part to accompany the singing.  It is not easy to play like that since it's carrying two melodies at once.

Thanks for sharing this, Ken.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,425 posts

Oh, Ken, this is a treasure.  Thanks to you and to the Appalachian School of Luthiery in Hindman!  

Rest in peace, Jon Pickow.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,083 posts

Here is a video of Jon Pickow, one of Jean Richie's and George Pickow's sons, made by PBS a few days before he died. PBS Craft in America has given us (Appalachian School of Luthiery) permission to redistribute this beautiful piece, so please share with the FOTMD community with our blessing!

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

updated by @ken-longfield: 01/22/21 04:15:50PM