Legacy Straps Review

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Larry Walton:

Thanks for the info.  I will experiment with cloth to see if that helps... But I bet the felt on the Legacy Straps will solve it.  I'll be getting one soon.

Good idea. Happy to help...thanks to Dusty too.

Larry Walton
Larry Walton
@larry-walton
3 years ago
2 posts

Thanks for the info.  I will experiment with cloth to see if that helps... But I bet the felt on the Legacy Straps will solve it.  I'll be getting one soon.

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Larry Walton:

My stake make a lot of noise while I play.  Are these straps quiet?

If you look at Dusty's response, he suggested that maybe the noise is coming from the movement of the strap end against the dulcimer. I just looked at the Legacy Strap end tabs where they connect to the strap buttons. On the Legacy Straps, they have a soft layer (felt-like) on the inside of the tab. I think this might  solve any noise issue, if that's where the noise is coming from, for you. Here are a couple pictures that might help. 

IMG_20210301_104327499.jpg

1614613469945.jpg

updated by @susie: 03/01/21 12:36:17PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,727 posts

The noise from straps might be as much a function of the instrument's finish as it is the strap itself.  My main dulcimer strap makes no noise on most of my dulcimers, but the one I'm playing right now has all kinds of squeaking from both ends.  If I want to record something I have to shove a piece of cloth in between the leather strap and the dulcimer to quiet the noise.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Larry Walton:

I don't notice any noise from these straps, but then again, I've never noticed a noise from any of my straps. Once I get situated to play, my dulcimer doesn't move much. I think it comes down to technique. Being these straps are 1" wide vs 2", I'm guessing a narrower strap might help, if you get noise when you play.

Larry Walton
Larry Walton
@larry-walton
3 years ago
2 posts

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,083 posts

I only know Garry from our phone conversations over the years when I placed orders with him.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

Ken and Robin, thanks for your comments. 

Ken, that's cool to hear you have a history with Legacy Straps. Do you know Garry, then?

updated by @susie: 02/21/21 01:02:40PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,425 posts

Susie, those straps look great!  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,083 posts

Susie, I am happy that you like your Legacy straps. I have used and sold Legacy straps for years. I am partial to the cotton straps that they do not interfere with the instruments finish. When I first started selling them you could only get the cotton straps in solid colors. I like that you can now buy the cotton straps with graphics.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Susie
Susie
@susie
3 years ago
500 posts

I wanted to replace my 2” guitars straps on my dulcimers, since I find them to be big, bulky, and overkill (just my experience….not trying to discourage the use of them for anyone else.) I searched and found Legacy Straps (www.legacystraps.com). They have a category called “Mandolin and Ukulele Straps”, which offer ¾” and 1” wide straps. I thought the 1” wide straps were exactly what I was looking for. 

I inquired as to the maximum length of these straps (turns out….about 50”). That was at the max of what I wanted/needed, so I got in contact with the owner. He was very responsive and said that length was no problem. He said he could make the straps up to 54” instead, to be sure I had sufficient length. 

I’ve been conservative my whole life and was thinking about going with solid color straps. My husband told me to “liven up my life” and pick straps with designs instead….I’m glad I did. I picked out 6 designs that I liked, enough for each dulcimer, plus one for my guilele. I got tab ends on each end, as all 6 of my instruments have 2 strap buttons.

I just received them and wanted to report that they are nicely made! The tab ends are on the stiff side, but the holes that he cuts out for the strap buttons work well, allowing them to fit nicely on standard strap buttons. I will have to enlarge the hole for my dulcimer that has a pick-up, because it has a larger diameter button. They easily adjust for length and feel nice while playing. The prices were very reasonable and the owner’s communication, customizable sizes, and prompt shipping was awesome. 

I’m really happy with them. If you are looking for a narrower strap for your dulcimers (or any other instrument), take a look.  

I’ve put pictures out here so you can see how they look (the ends, etc.). 

IMG_20210216_111146806.jpg

IMG_20210216_113037986_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210216_113319438.jpg

IMG_20210216_114352813.jpg

IMG_20210216_114845991.jpg

IMG_20210216_115254801.jpg

updated by @susie: 02/16/21 02:07:20PM