Death of John Shaw, UK mountain dulcimer giant

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

So nice to read the lovely tribute written by John's wife.  John has been a treasure in the mountain dulcimer world and his influence remains here and with all who knew him and who loved his music.  

updated by @robin-thompson: 10/01/21 08:35:47AM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,073 posts

I missed this when it was first posted. It must have been when I was traveling out west. His wife's tribute to him gives us a wonderful picture of him. I know he is missed by family and friends. His music will live on and continue to inspire all who listen to it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

It is deeply sad that John Shaw passed away. His music and creativity will continue inspiring others for a long time to come.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
John Rawlinson
John Rawlinson
@john-rawlinson
3 years ago
5 posts

Thanks for picking it up Ken, it looks as if the link got broken in the middle

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/19/john-shaw-obituary

John

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,111 posts

John Rawlinson -- your link to John's obit does not work...  But this one does:
John Shaw obituary | Folk music | The Guardian

updated by @ken-hulme: 10/01/21 07:24:56AM
John Rawlinson
John Rawlinson
@john-rawlinson
3 years ago
5 posts

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/19/john-shaw-obituary
John's obituary, written by his wife Angela is in today's Guardian. I knew him since the 1980s in Bristol, from the Iron Acton folk Club at the Lamb Inn, where he was the only other person I knew locally who played the mountain dulcimer. He was a wonderful, but modest, player, a knowledgeable folk musician and a lovely, kind, unassuming gentle-man. He is such a loss to the dulcimer community. 

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
3 years ago
422 posts

I'm saddened beyond words.  I was looking at his cd's in the rack day before yesterday and was fussing at myself for not keeping in touch with him.  He was a wonderful musician and singer and a great encourager to me. I miss him already.

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
3 years ago
33 posts

I've admired John's dulcimer playing and .singing for many years. Found him to be very encouraging and helpful. RIP John. 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

I'm so very, very sad to hear of John's passing. What a wonderful musician and dulcimer player he was, and he helped so many people to find joy in making music.

There are 18 truly beautiful music clips that John posted here on FOTMD over the years. I do hope that folks will have a listen to them on John's fotmd page, here:

https://fotmd.com/john-shaw/

And if you care to, leave a message on John's fotmd profile page Comment Wall while you are on his page.
Farewell to a fine and kind person, and amazing musician.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
385 posts

I'm so surprised at this sad news!  I didn't really know John, but I corresponded with him when I built his electric dulcimer a few years ago.  He seemed to be a wonderful dulcimer friend and player.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

That's sad news, Geoff.  John used to be pretty active here online, although not so much in recent years.

He once posted a version of the old country blues Leaving Home that showed me the range of material that could be played on the dulcimer.

Please share our condolences with Angela and make sure she knows that even those of us who never met John in person thought very highly of him as well.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

I am shocked and saddened by John's death.  John was such a fine player and a gentleman!  He encouraged me on my mountain dulcimer journey and I am grateful to him for doing so.

Thank you, @geoff-black, for letting us know here at FOTMD and for including these wonderful photos.  I offer my deepest sympathy to John's wife, Angela, and to you & all who knew John.

Geoff Black
Geoff Black
@geoff-black
3 years ago
25 posts

I'm sad to report the sudden death of John Shaw, a fabulous MD player with many friends on both sides of the Atlantic.  He was a mentor to so many of us in the UK when we started playing, and his superb dulcimer arrangements of such a wide range of fascinating music will constitute a major legacy for the international dulcimer community.  John taught at many UK festivals and even a few years back toured venues on the US East Coast.  His smooth, melodic and unfussy style of playing, such a positive influence on so many new players, was another major legacy.  He was also an excellent singer and performer, and a longstanding member and one time Chair of the UK Nonsuch Dulcimer Society.  His wife Angela would like the FOTMD community in particular to know that he thought very highly of you all.  In turn, I'm sure you will miss him as we all do over here.  Geoff Black