COVID and Nursing Home Visits

Stanley Adams
Stanley Adams
@stanley-adams
2 years ago
5 posts

Hats off to those who continue to try to bring music to nursing home residents in these dificult times.

Dorisma
Dorisma
@dorisma
2 years ago
2 posts

Dorisma:

Visiting nursing homes is challenging at any time, and even more so during a pandemic.

Most nursing homes now have strict rules to protect residents from COVID-19 exposure, such as virtual, window, or driveway visits. Some nursing homes allow socially distant outdoor or indoor visits. My father has dementia and is in a nursing home during the pandemic! For his sake, I started researching ways to help seniors with dementia https://www.thekey.com/learning-center/alzheimers-and-dementia-caregiving/how-to-have-more-good-days-with-dementia. They have eased his and my heartache! Hopefully, the pandemic will be over soon, and I can visit my dad in person!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,252 posts

Ken that is wonderful news. Those folks are going to be sooooo happy to hear your live music again... so special for them!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,083 posts

I am happy to report that our group is back playing at a local retirement center. There are three sections to the center: assisted living, nursing home, and memory unit. We played this past Wednesday at the memory unit. Next month we will play for the nursing home residents and the month after that for the assisted living folks. We play the first Wednesday of every month and are scheduled through the end of the year. Protocols require that we check in at the main desk, have our temperatures taken, receive a visitors badge, and then can proceed to where we play. Masks are required while walking through the buildings, but not while performing.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dorisma
Dorisma
@dorisma
2 years ago
2 posts

Visiting nursing homes is challenging at any time, and even more so during a pandemic.

Tilmen
Tilmen
@tilmen
3 years ago
2 posts

Due to this pandemic, many nursing homes have been closed down, and they no longer allow any kind of events or games for the elderly. My grandmother loved to go there with her friends and interact with others. Because this was no longer possible, she got quite depressed, and her she started feeling unwell, so we requested the help of an assistant from https://homecareassistance.com/palm-beach who now is taking care of her health.

updated by @tilmen: 11/12/21 10:48:06AM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,083 posts

We are stilled barred from playing at nursing homes and our senior centers are still closed. One group I play with did play for an outdoor service of worship earlier in August, but I did not play with them as I was away camping that weekend.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
3 years ago
36 posts

Our group in Central Indiana  was back to near normal before the latest virus version hit.  At first we were playing outside under an entry way but then later was given the OK to play inside as long as we had temperature checked and filled out a questionnaire and wore our masks. Now with the increase in covid again we are back outside when weather permits.  Of late we have had some high air temperatures so its a day by day situation. We are scheduled for two sessions in September, probably outside.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,252 posts

Very good question Richard.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
234 posts

Thought I'd ask of the many who play their dulcimers in nursing, rehab, senior living, or retirement centers how things are going? What kind of access are you finding where you are? Any of you back to any where close to pre covid frequency of visits? Thanks.