MEET THE MODERATORS...

Ken Backer
Ken Backer
@ken-backer
9 years ago
31 posts

I, too, would like to give a big thanks to our moderators.  I know they help make Lisa's job much easier.  clap thumbsup

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Hay Jan, Sam and Bob R. thanks so much for joining our wonderful moderators team. I appreciate all the work you each do and keeping us all in line is a great job cause we are a wonderful group of members. Keep up the good work and don't let the "SPAMERS" INTO OUR WONDERFUL SITE!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,426 posts

So glad to have Bob, Jan, and Sam be a part of the Mod Squad! 

PS- A bit of trivia: FOTMD's own Ken Bloom was one of the musicians who performed the music for the pilot of The Mod Squad television series. 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,253 posts

I am extremely happy to announce that we have now added THREE brand new additions to the FOTMD Moderator team!!  clapper

As FOTMD continues to grow and evolve, I am so grateful for the generous guidance and assistance of the site Moderators, and now there are FIVE site moderators who help out every day to keep FOTMD on an even keel.

Please see the initial post in this thread to meet and our BRAND NEW Moderators!

Thanks and big hugs to Bob, Jan, and Sam !  grphug

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 05/24/21 10:28:54AM
Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 years ago
85 posts

Not to worry Dusty, It'll never get to that...I bet HD's would burn longer, too.thumbsup

--
Site Moderator
Gary Major
Gary Major
@gary-major
9 years ago
11 posts

Thank you everyone for the great new site. Your hard work has paid off from what I can see. A bright and cheerful outlay!! Thanks again to all involved.

updated by @gary-major: 06/16/15 01:46:32PM
John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
13 years ago
182 posts

Oh no...he would surely bend the rules in his favor! He's a crafty sort (and one to keep an eye on) for sure. Grin.gif

Robin Thompson said:

John,

I'm afraid you're on your own with this one! Perhaps you & John K should arm wrestle to settle this.Grin.gif
John Henry said:

WHO..... ME ? What have I done? (except use a noter !) I try to help people where possible......... sometimes complement them on their dress sense......... always apologise for my inept use of the computer, and yet get landed with the troublemaker label !!! I really must find out who the moderators on this site are.........!

JohnH

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
13 years ago
1,426 posts

John,

I'm afraid you're on your own with this one! Perhaps you & John K should arm wrestle to settle this.Grin.gif
John Henry said:

WHO..... ME ? What have I done? (except use a noter !) I try to help people where possible......... sometimes complement them on their dress sense......... always apologise for my inept use of the computer, and yet get landed with the troublemaker label !!! I really must find out who the moderators on this site are.........!

JohnH

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
13 years ago
258 posts

JohnH

updated by @john-henry: 07/26/15 01:53:09PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
13 years ago
1,426 posts
Ann, it's a joy to see folks learning about and making homemade music! Smile.gif
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
13 years ago
2,253 posts
wow, that's what I call friendly! lol!

--
Site Owner

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
13 years ago
1,727 posts

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome. I'll do my best to help maintain the friendliest place on the internet.

253_forums.jpg

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
13 years ago
1,426 posts

One thing about moderating is it's a job we want to be boring. Free exchange of ideas and musical friendships are what we want to flourish here!

It's been really fun to see the site develop. I stumbled onto FOTMD very soon after Strumelia put it up-- if I remember right, there were yet no discussions (or maybe one), no groups, no videos.

PS-FOTMD is a Great Group!

Sue Simms
Sue Simms
@sue-simms
13 years ago
29 posts
I think we have a Great Group here ! Grin.gif
folkfan
@folkfan
13 years ago
357 posts
Hello, Moderators. You all are doing an important job, keep up the good workGrin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
13 years ago
2,253 posts

Well I add that FOTMD needs almost nothing in terms of 'censorship'. FOTMD members (and dulcimer players in general) seem to be unusually kind and thoughtful.

I like a good spicy debate once in a while, and I am not particularly prudish either.

The moderators' job is really mostly to be there in case a spammer gets through the usual defenses that have been put in place. I might be sleeping late  or off somewhere else for the day, and if a spammer gets in and starts posting their annoying posts here, any of the 3 mods who sees them has the ability to kick them off the site and delete all their content. This gives me great peace of mind!
We have had a very few spammers making trouble here in the past, and I've since further tightened up the joinup process to prevent them from joining in the first place. But it's inevitable that one may slip by at some point in time. The good news is that now there are seven of us who can notice them and kick them out. (And keep in mind that even if they do get on FOTMD and post junk, they would never have access to any members' account info or email address.)

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/07/17 08:22:01PM
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
13 years ago
258 posts

At my age......................?, why, you look just a spit of a boy !!! LOL

My regards

JohnH

John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
13 years ago
258 posts

Good morning Bob (sorry, I forget you are 'in front' of us, as we are 'infront' of them, LOL)

So far as I see it the moderators are not there so much as to censor us , tho' of course they may should it prove necessary, but to look after us. I recollect a couple of occasions in the past when the site has had 'dubious' intrusions which have always been dealt with very quickly. As Kathie has already said, humour/joshing is different for everyone, and does not travel well in some instances. I am sure that many members do not appreciate the remarks I sometimes make about my good friend John S !!! (he loves it ,honest!)

my best wishes to you

JohnH

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
13 years ago
1,727 posts

Are moderators necessarily moderate?

And if you practice moderation in all things, aren't you being excessive in your moderation? If you are excessive in your moderation, then you are not practicing moderation in all things, so you are not excessive in your moderation.

Oh, my head is spinning. Good thing my wife just popped the bottle of California bubbly that we never had a chance to share on Valentine's Day.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
John Henry
John Henry
@john-henry
13 years ago
258 posts

Congratulations to our moderators from 'the group across the pond' , and thanks for agreeing to do the job.

JohnH

ps. Jim, keep your eye on the other two, they do have a tendency to bicker now and then!!!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
13 years ago
2,253 posts

Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer is a pretty friendly community. We don't see much bickering in general. But like everywhere else on the internet, you never know what might happen.

It's good to have a few extra pairs of eyes watching over FOTMD in case disaster strikes, a spammer gets by the barriers, or some member suddenly decides to go berserk.  

In addition to the site creator (Strumelia), FOTMD has FIVE great moderators. They can eject spammers, watch for any flame battles, are around when I go off somewhere on short trips (or sleep late, as I am known to do on occasion), and generally help make sure things stay on course. I am very grateful for their level-headed presence and generosity!

Visit their pages and get to know who they are. Feel free to ask any of our moderators questions about how things are organized here on FOTMD- they are very friendly and helpful folk.

Meet your Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer Moderators!...

Jim Fawcett

(visit Jim's FOTMD Page, click here)

================================================================================

DUSTY TURTLE

(visit Dusty's FOTMD Page, click here)

Dusty as a wee babe....

==================================================================

Jan Potts

(visit Jan Pott's FOTMD page, click here)

================================================================================

Sam

(visit Sam's FOTMD page, click here)

Bob Reinsel

(visit Bob's FOTMD page, click here)

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/31/23 09:32:47PM