Sweet Woods Instruments and Ron Gibson

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Lucky Dave:

Susie, I can't recommend Ron enough. Very good to work with and talented.  

So happy you had a great experience  and it turned out beautiful  for you. I had one of his years ago, a Birdseye Maple. It was very pretty, but the intonation  was off up the fretboard. My Luther did his best to correct it, but it still wasn't right. I parted ways with it. I probably just got a bad one, because so many people are happy with Ron's dulcimers.  I have another builder lined up, but thanks.

Enjoy your gem!

Lucky Dave
Lucky Dave
@dulcimer-dave
2 years ago
19 posts

Susie, I can't recommend Ron enough. Very good to work with and talented.  Megan, Thank you so much!

MeganEleanor
MeganEleanor
@meganeleanor
2 years ago
4 posts

Looks beautiful, Dave! I love those custom soundholes and the wood choices! Clearly a lot of care went into your design and I'm glad Ron brought it to life for you. 

Susie
Susie
@susie
2 years ago
500 posts

Beautiful  and a great honor to your mom. Priceless!

I'm thinking about doing something special with another builder, to honor my dad and the farm property where we live and produce Maple Syrup, which was settled in 1889 (I'm 4th generation  and only descendent  living here). My dad died last year at 86 too. 

Lucky Dave
Lucky Dave
@dulcimer-dave
2 years ago
19 posts

Well, Friends. After a short wait, it finally came yesterday. Ron Gibson built me this beautiful instrument. She's a six string Chromatic, with a Birds eye maple top and walnut sides and back. The fret board is Birdseye maple and walnut, with Grover tuners. She's also a little deeper than normal as well, and she has a beautiful voice, I could not be happier!

The sound holes are special as well. Back in October I lost my Mother, she was, as Jimmy Buffet says "86 years of perpetual motion", a single Mom of three at 30, she went on to become one of the first female sheriff officers in Morristown NJ, became the first female detective, after her retirement, became involved with the International Association of Women Police, and was awarded their highest honor at Faneuil Hall in Boston.  When she retired to Deer Isle in Maine, she spoke often about two things her beloved dog, Bear and her home, which has four iconic pine trees lining her driveway.   

I'd been looking for a way to honor her, she loved my music, so I contacted Ron with my idea and I think he executed it flawlessly. Thank you Ron for helping me honor my Mother and challenging me with something new. If you're thinking about having one built, I can't recommend Ron enough. His experience, craftsmanship and passion for these fine instruments are reflected in his work.

Thank you for allowing me to prattle on.  Now I have to go build a stand...

Dave

IMG_1052.JPEG
IMG_1052.JPEG  •  248KB

IMG_1053.JPEG
IMG_1053.JPEG  •  293KB

IMG_1054.JPEG
IMG_1054.JPEG  •  242KB

IMG_1055.JPEG
IMG_1055.JPEG  •  268KB

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Congrats on your new baby, Megan! What a beautiful dulcimer.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
MeganEleanor
MeganEleanor
@meganeleanor
2 years ago
4 posts

Thank you Strumelia and Dave! Please do post pictures when it arrives, I'd love to see it! I wholly relate to the Christmas sentiment--I was refreshing the tracking page all morning yesterday in anticipation! I hope Santa's UPS truck visits you soon. :)

Lucky Dave
Lucky Dave
@dulcimer-dave
2 years ago
19 posts

Meghan, That is one of the most beautiful Dulcimers I've ever seen!

I am right now waiting, like a kid for Christmas, for Ron to finish my custom instrument. I'll post pics when it arrives!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

What a lovely dulcimer Megan!  flower

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
MeganEleanor
MeganEleanor
@meganeleanor
2 years ago
4 posts

Hope it's OK to piggyback on this thread--I just wanted to chime in to say I ordered a Ron Gibson thanks partly to these forums. It just arrived today & I'm extremely happy with my decision, so thank you to those who weighed in on the original question!

I went for a 4-string Barbara Allen model in cedar and walnut. I haven't played many other quality dulcimers to compare, but it feels great to play and has a really lovely rich sound. Ron was very easy to work with and I was impressed with the price and turnaround time for such a nice instrument. Hopefully this helps anyone else who is on the fence and searching these forums for info. :)

RonGibson.jpg

Annie.jpg
Annie.jpg  •  299KB

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 years ago
231 posts

I have owned two custom builds from Dave at SweetWoods. Each was skillfully crafted, with a well balanced full sound and easy playing.

A friend had one of Ron Gibson's Barbara Allen models. It was a work of beauty with rich wood, excellent craftsmanship and a wonderful sound. It was perhaps slightly louder than some modern dulcimers.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,111 posts

I've owned and played one of Dave's instruments for years, and I've done one or two "authorized repairs" on instruments of his which live here in Florida, rather than having the owner ship the idulcimer to Missouri. 

Although Dave told me last month that he's built and sold over 5000 of his Student models, he  also builds custom instruments to your specifications.  He's 'slowing down' his building career (medical issues) so if you like the look of his instruments, now is the time!.  The website is a "mess" because he's moving/moved to a new server....  Drop him an email and he'll gladly work with you in any way you choose  -- send you pictures, sound samples, whatever you like.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I have moved to a new server. Unfortunately, I was not able to transfer all of my previous emails. If I have not responded to your email, please send me a reminder to Harpmaker@SweetWoodsInstruments.com. I will respond to you as soon as possible. Thank you!

updated by @ken-hulme: 02/06/22 07:07:31PM
Lucky Dave
Lucky Dave
@dulcimer-dave
2 years ago
19 posts

Thank you friends.  I do know what I am looking for vis a vis Fret layout, design and sound.  Around the holidays I sold three of my dulcimers, in hopes that I might talk my wife into allowing me to have one built grin  The two I kept are a Walnut TK O'Brien (which I consider a nice beginner MD) and a Folk roots D-40 from the 70's ( a beast of an instrument). I'm thinking, I'd like a closer action so that Jenny Lind may be the one, but it would be nice to be able to hold/play one prior to plunking down my cash!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

I own one of David Lynch's student model dulcimers and used to suggest newbies get one for their first instrument since I think it was the best value on the market. But I haven't heard from him in a few years.

Ron Gibson dulcimers are a great value, too.  I used to have a Barbara Allen baritone he made which I sold to help finance a more expensive dulcimer.  It was very nice and I miss it.  I also played a used Jenny Lind at a music store. I was impressed with the action and went back to get it the next day, but it was already gone.

My general advice for beginners looking for an upgrade is to be patient and develop your preferences before spending a bunch of cash.  Maybe you will find you like an ebony overlay on the fretboard, or an extra fret, or the strings spaced a certain distance apart, or an internal pickup, or . . . The list just goes on and on.  You have to play a while to develop those preferences, so you might want to stick with a dulcimer that's "good enough" until you know exactly what you want.

Of course, if money is not an issue, go ahead an buy several dulcimers, including a bass dulcimer to give me grin .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

I've had several of Dave's student dulcimers and wound up selling them to students who wanted to move beyond a cardboard dulcimer. I have played quite of few of his regular dulcimers and can tell you that they are well built and a delight to play. I have no experience with Ron's dulcimers, but he has a good reputation as a builder.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Lucky Dave
Lucky Dave
@dulcimer-dave
2 years ago
19 posts

Morning Friends!

Still looking for the right one, and came across Sweet Woods instruments and David Lynch. I love the look, but his website is a mess and I cant really see much of his work. Anyone have one of his MD's? Thoughts?

Also, Found Ron Gibson's site as well.  I like his deep bodied Jenny Lynn models, and the fact he will build me a custom instrument.  Thoughts on Ron?

Thanks Friends!